PDA

View Full Version : Saturn - another seasons best

iceman
2007-Nov-29, 10:37 PM
Only early in the season and have only captured Saturn a couple of times, but I'm happy with these results.

Captured yesterday morning, the seeing was fairly stable (not as good as it was with Mars) but getting close to dawn, the ambient temperature was starting to drop which introduced some instability.

The seeing wasn't quite up to using the 5x powermate (as you can see from the image), but the 3x barlow capture was just right for the conditions, allowing me to use 30fps on all channels and get enough data in the histogram.

Saturn is still a very difficult target being low and dim, and processing is a challenge. You want contrast on the globe to reveal the banding but you want to leave the rings fairly natural to try and bring up the faint crepe ring. When I get some better data I'll take more time and care in processing to get the best of both worlds.

Thanks for looking.

Kyle Edwards
2007-Nov-29, 11:03 PM
Great shot. Saturn's rings look much more edge-on this season than they did during the last.

paul f. campbell
2007-Nov-30, 12:46 AM
Great attempt on Saturn.

andyschlei
2007-Dec-02, 06:10 PM
Mike,

Nice shots. The rings are really flattening out this year...

--Andy

NGCHunter
2007-Dec-02, 06:23 PM
I think the rings hit a minimum of 6.6 degrees sometime in the next couple weeks before opening back up. Great shot, the detail on the globe is awesome.

winensky
2007-Dec-04, 03:32 AM
Great work especially getting that inner ring at this angle.

Kind regards
Matt