PDA

View Full Version : Evel Knievel makes his final jump

Captain Kidd
2007-Dec-01, 04:01 AM
He's off to do his great jumps in the hereafter.
I was too young to catch his jumps live, but he still managed to be a household name.

Fox Sports (http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/7509664?MSNHPHCP&GT1=10637)
Evel Knievel, the red-white-and-blue-spangled motorcycle daredevil whose jumps over crazy obstacles including Greyhound buses, live sharks and Idaho's Snake River Canyon made him an international icon in the 1970s, died Friday. He was 69.

publius
2007-Dec-01, 04:04 AM
He jumped the River Jordan, didn't he?

-Richard

publius
2007-Dec-01, 06:53 AM
I was reading a bio of Evel Knievel. He was quite a character, one of those ne'er do well, rebel without a cause types who had the talent to turn thrill seeking into fame. That is one in a million.

He dropped out of high school and went to work for a mining company and eventually was operating an earth mover. The son of a gun managed to *pop a wheelie* with the earth mover (that I'd like to see), but knocked out a power line in the process, doing quite some damage. That got him fired, and after that he did nothing but get in trouble (running from the cops and such) and get arrested all the time. :)

He actually got his famous nickname for a jailer one night. He was a sharing a cell with some petty thug type named William Knoffel who had the nickname "Awful Knoffel". The jailer noted he had Knoffel and Knievel in the same cell and quipped about "Evil Knievel" and "Awful Knoffel", two peas in a pod. :lol:

A star was thus born. How the spelling became "Evel", I don't know. Awful Knoffel and Evel Knievel. I don't know what became of Awful, but Evel made it big.

-Richard

torque of the town
2007-Dec-01, 11:10 AM
I was too young to catch his jumps live, but he still managed to be a household name.

I am old enough to remember all his exploits along with the are own Barry Sheene who I watched race on countless occasions, two great dudes.

David

Paul Beardsley
2007-Dec-01, 07:25 PM
There was a recent story in Viz in which he wanted simply to relax in the evening, but his wife kept badgering him into doing his stunts. "And when are you going to jump the canyon?" she'd ask. "Oh I'll do it tomorrow," he'd reply, but then he'd get the disapproval treatment until he reluctantly got his rocket bicycle out.

I wonder if he ever saw the comic strip about him?

publius
2007-Dec-01, 11:15 PM
I wonder what they'll do for his funeral? Maybe have the pallbearers jump the casket? Or maybe they should just launch a rocket powered casket over the Grand Canyon. They could wire it with explosives and fireworks and let him go out in a blaze of glory doing what he always wanted to do.

-Richard

Doodler
2007-Dec-01, 11:24 PM
I wonder what they'll do for his funeral? Maybe have the pallbearers jump the casket? Or maybe they should just launch a rocket powered casket over the Grand Canyon. They could wire it with explosives and fireworks and let him go out in a blaze of glory doing what he always wanted to do.

-Richard

Yeah, it somehow doesn't feel appropriate to bury him without at least a few broken bones...

TrAI
2007-Dec-02, 12:55 AM
Yeah, it somehow doesn't feel appropriate to bury him without at least a few broken bones...

Hmmm... Since this is a space forum, I guess someone will sooner or later suggest this anyway, so: Cremate him, put the ashes in a space probe, send it of to one of the gas planets or perhaps the sun. Let the probe finish with it's science, and then drop it in...

KaiYeves
2007-Dec-02, 02:10 AM
Hmmm... Since this is a space forum, I guess someone will sooner or later suggest this anyway, so: Cremate him, put the ashes in a space probe, send it of to one of the gas planets or perhaps the sun. Let the probe finish with it's science, and then drop it in...
Good idea. Remotely similar to Clyde Tombaugh's ashes on New Horizions.

publius
2007-Dec-02, 02:24 AM
There's always Valles Marineris, which IIRC is the "biggest canyon in the solar system". Store his ashes and when we (finally) get to Mars, shoot them over that. And there'd be just 1/3 surface gravity to worry about, too.

-Richard

Rift
2007-Dec-02, 03:48 PM
I met Evel about 20 years ago at a wedding, Nice guy. Of course that evening he was arrested for soliciting a prostitute that turned out to be a cop...

I'm barely old enough to remember his exploits, was quite a craze for a while.

Valles Marineris is a great idea, lol.