PDA

View Full Version : Florida East Coast Red Tide

cudachaser
2007-Dec-01, 06:43 PM
Just got back from a BRIEF walk on the beach...Red Tide is awful...coughed almost to the point of pucking! Dead fish all over. It's been with us over 2 weeks with no end in sight!

Joe:mad:

danscope
2007-Dec-02, 04:27 AM
Hi Joe, That's mighty grim.
Some years ago....1958....they sprayed an insecticide to kill mosquitoes
on a lake where my family summered each tear. It killed half the population of fish...over night. They ate the bugs and wham! Killed summer on that lake.
I hope things get better.
Best regards, Dan

Graybeard6
2007-Dec-02, 07:58 AM
cudachaser, I know how you feel. I live about 10 miles south of you and it's still bad. I had a lung removed ~10 years ago, and have to use O2 when exersising. Last night we were at a sports bar and (stupidly) I said I could walk to my son's car, about 50 yards. I didn't make it. It's embarassing to stand wheezing and hacking in a parking lot after ONE beer. All is well, however, in cars and houses the red tide cannot penetrate. Pls it's 3:00 am and the temperature is 70.

Chip
2007-Dec-02, 09:05 AM
Just got back from a BRIEF walk on the beach...Red Tide is awful...coughed almost to the point of pucking! Dead fish all over. It's been with us over 2 weeks with no end in sight!
Joe:mad:

I was over on the West coast in the Fort Myers Beach area last year. It was milder but they definitely had some red tide conditions then too. I read that not all dinoflagellate blooms known specifically as Karenia brevis are red but the ones I saw (and could smell) were, though at that time not as thick as what you've described. They did stink however and every morning beach crews would drive up and shovel the clumps that washed ashore into trucks. The beaches were for the most part, fairly clean later in the day, but your description sounds really bad and probably too big for cleanup crews.

Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_tide

Maksutov
2007-Dec-02, 09:22 AM
Good old Florida.

Every time I drove into the "Sunshine State", the wipers were going due to the downpour. Great place for lightning.

Let's see, the highest point is Britton Hill at 345 feet, the only state highpoint named after a postmistress, as well as the lowest of the 50. So, if the polar icecaps melt... http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif

Well, anyway, hope the red tide goes away really soon and doesn't harm the fish/shellfish industry.