PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario Galaxy

Trantor
2007-Dec-03, 04:30 PM
This past weekend, I had the pleasure of watching my 15 year old son play Super Mario Galaxy on the Nintendo Wii Entertainment System. While it's not very "realistic" in reproducing space environments, the game is absolutely amazing and fun. Yes, the story about bad ole Bowser kidnapping the Princess by ripping her castle right out of the ground and taking it far away into space is silly; but our hero Mario is ready to hunt down Bowser and his evil friends even if he has to go across the Universe to find him! Even Black Holes and exploding stars cannot deter Mario from his mission to collect stars and save the Princess!!

Seriously, I thought the gravity effects in the game were very cool. The different puzzels and challenges that Mario has to solve in order to get stars(which are needed in order to open up new areas in the game) were all beautiful and great family friendly fun. No blood spewing, profanity, or gore; just a crazy, fun-filled space adventure. A highly recommended platform game.

Glom
2007-Dec-03, 07:36 PM
I've heard good reports and recommendations. I may delay getting a Wii since my DS is a bit old and I don't want to overcrowd my new gaming experience.

KaiYeves
2007-Dec-03, 10:27 PM
My brother has Super Mario Sunshine, which I enjoyed watching him play.
I want to vacation on Isle Delfino!

Trantor
2007-Dec-04, 02:12 PM

We have this one as well on the Nintendo Gamecube. Another very good game. We have owed all the Nintendo Systems over the years and I think you have to go back to Super Mario 64(the first game to feature a true 3D adventure) to find a game as innovative and fun as Super Mario Galaxy.

I gave Mario Galaxy a shot yesterday after work. My skills are nowhere near my sons level, and many times I found myself falling thru space into the Black Hole. Flying thru space and landing on the various planets is a blast. Amazing that Mario does not need a space suit in order to fly thru space! Kind of like Superman! I do admit that I did enjoy the feeling of falling into the Black Hole, and my kids did get a good laugh seeing my feeble skills at work. The only thing that would have made it better would have been for Mario to go down the hole, while being turned into a long spaghetti strand.

Glom
2007-Dec-04, 07:22 PM

Ahh. So that's where Delfino came from. I have Mario Kart DS and one of the tracks is called Delfino Square. I lost track of Nintendo after the N64 so I missed all the stuff from the Game Cube. I'm only know catching up in the last few months when I got a DS.

KaiYeves
2007-Dec-04, 08:50 PM
Ahh. So that's where Delfino came from. I have Mario Kart DS and one of the tracks is called Delfino Square.
Isle Delfino is comprable to a tropical Caribean island. It's got beaches, old-style towns with cute architecture, exotic flora and fauna, and underwater areas that would be great dive sites. And just like a Caribean island, the big shots all go there for vacation, so Princess Peach does.
Isle Delfino is also comprable to Costa Rica because every resort area is built around a sustainable energy source.
Of course, somebody is polluting everything, and Mario has to catch the culprit...

Jim
2007-Dec-04, 11:27 PM
... We have owed all the Nintendo Systems over the years ...

Freudian slip?

Trantor
2007-Dec-05, 03:13 PM
Freudian slip?

There is some thruth there Jim. I've purchased every Nintendo System since the original NES back in the mid 80's. Factor in the all the money I've used to purchase games, extra controllers, more system memory, and other accessories, and we are talking about pretty big bucks to Nintendo over the years.

Glom
2007-Dec-08, 08:37 AM
On a related note, I'm surprised at the low quality resolution on Mario Kart 64. Mind you, I am playing it on a bigger TV than before, but it's quite hard on the eyes. I think the frame rate is lower too than on Mario Kart DS (having tracks of MK64 on MKDS really helps for an apple and apples comparison).

novaderrik
2007-Dec-08, 09:12 PM
so, does Mario still eat mushrooms to make himself bigger, and stars to make himself invincible? i seem to remember something about a magic green leaf, as well..
maybe if Mario admits to himself that he has a problem, then maybe he can get ahold of his demons and live a cleaner lifestyle.