PDA

View Full Version : Cool site!!

Sever
2003-Aug-03, 10:56 PM
Check this out!! http://www.orionsarm.com/intro/welcome.html

Finally good sci-fi!!

Glom
2003-Aug-04, 12:07 AM
I definitely like the idea of hard sci-fi. As soon as I get an attention span, I plan to increase my literacy of hard sci-fi.

I am a bit unsure about trying to set up a space opera so far into the future when the technology would be completely unknown.

They rated SG1 as very soft sci-fi, while Trek was soft, although they did say it could be very soft. I've always felt that SG1 was that bit more realistic than Trek. I suppose SG1 fell down because all the alien races speak English when Trek has the universal translator to justify it. Still, it allowed a good pisstake in 'Wormhole X-Treme'. I suppose the SF rating takes only into account the science fiction factor while SG1 has the advantages of being more credible in other areas, such as the depiction of the military. I also have a hard time persecuting it for all the Asgard magic when they are tens of thousands of years ahead of us. A hundred years ago, some of the science he's using in his space opera would be considering silly.

Sever
2003-Aug-06, 12:25 AM
But at least they don't have warp drive. I wish I had one of those sweet sweet space craft....

eburacum45
2003-Aug-07, 06:52 PM
Thanks, people!
The galaxy is a very big place- why not come and claim a world or two of your own?

Val Trottan
2003-Aug-07, 07:14 PM
Argh ...

This just makes things harder for my fiction writing. I am in the process of composing my own "encyclopaedia Galactica" although mine spans only the time and characters set forth in my trilogy.

Humph.

I guess originality is a fleeting concept these days.

Oh well.

tracer
2003-Aug-09, 01:40 AM
Thanks, people!
The galaxy is a very big place- why not come and claim a world or two of your own?
Thanks, but I already bought one from the International Star Registry.
:: ducking and running ::

wedgebert
2003-Aug-09, 03:53 AM
I definitely like the idea of hard sci-fi. As soon as I get an attention span, I plan to increase my literacy of hard sci-fi.

Make sure you pick up some Stephen Baxter. The hard part about his sci-fi is determining what is fact and what is fiction. In fact, some of his books have a page or two at the end to tell you that X is actually real (despite sounding implausable) while Y is fake (even though it seems easy to do)