PDA

View Full Version : Neptune

Gravity
2007-Dec-05, 07:29 AM
I was recently debating with my brother about the Planet's surface. What exactly is it composed of? I dont want to sound idiotic, but I could have sworn i read or saw on television that it is liquid water with a thick atmosphere, and my brother said thats impossible because of the temperature but I took AP chemistry so I know that pressure affects melting/vaporizing/boiling/freezing points. I looked it up but couldnt really find any information that was solid about this subject, so could i get some feedback from a person with knowledge/experience on the subject?

G O R T
2007-Dec-05, 01:47 PM
-so could i get some feedback from a person with knowledge/experience on the subject?

Experience ???

Neptune is considered to have a mantle of hot water/ammonia/methane "ice" although some refer to it as an ocean. An atmosphere of hydrogen and helium equivalent to 2-3 Earth masses exerts enough pressure that the exact point of delineation between atmosphere and mantle (your surface) is blurred to a slow change over some distance.

Gravity
2007-Dec-05, 10:14 PM
By experience i meant experience discussing the subject, my bad. Unless we've got a Neptunian on the forums.

Neverfly
2007-Dec-06, 02:21 AM
By experience i meant experience discussing the subject, my bad. Unless we've got a Neptunian on the forums.

"Hold on a sec, I'll grab my Spice Weasel and 'Bam!' you up a dish you'll never forget!"