PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft saves boy's life.

Doodler
2007-Dec-09, 01:52 PM
http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/view.php?id=3491

Next up, giving his sister a lecture about pulling aggro on elite mobs...

KaiYeves
2007-Dec-09, 10:01 PM
As somebody who remebered a question on the Earth Science Regents because of something from the TV show Totally Spies, I don't find that strange at all. George Lucas said something like "All who create media are teachers."

Noclevername
2007-Dec-09, 10:36 PM
George Lucas said something like "All who create media are teachers."

Pity most of them teach utter nonsense. But with that much manure being generated, you do find the occasional pony-- if you're lucky.

Matherly
2007-Dec-10, 02:35 PM
Mind you, Moose bites can be very nasty

:shifty:

grant hutchison
2007-Dec-10, 02:56 PM
And if it had been a black bear, feigning death would have got him eaten.
Luckily, his skill was transferrable on this occasion; but if he'd encountered a different animal, we'd have been bemoaning the dumb things he learned from an on-line game.

Grant Hutchison

Fazor
2007-Dec-10, 03:38 PM
ROFL @ Article. Though I'm not convinced that his tactics actually saved anybody's life (maybe the Moose wouldn't have attacked regardless, though I know they can be agressive), I have to applaud this boy.

I'm a WoWAddict, and of course hunter is the class I play. I love fein death, and wish I could use it in real life more often. "Honey, did you remember to stop and get the dog food like I had asked?" "Arrrgh!! [fein death]". Or "Honey, I think we need to do some house cleaning" "Aaaargh!!! [fein death]".

Unfortunately, I have found that in real life, Fein Death is not very effective at reducing girlfriend agro. Missdirrect sometimes works, but not very often. And disengage?...well, lets not go there.

Wonder what lvl Moose it was, and why the boy failed to tank it with his pet sister?

NEOWatcher
2007-Dec-10, 05:51 PM
ROFL @ Article. Though I'm not convinced that his tactics actually saved anybody's life (maybe the Moose wouldn't have attacked regardless, though I know they can be agressive), I have to applaud this boy.
Wonder what lvl Moose it was, and why the boy failed to tank it with his pet sister?
I'd like to hear from Moose (http://www.bautforum.com/members/moose.html) himself before passing judgement. He doesn't seem too agressive to me.

I am happy that he learned something from WOW, but at the same time, how many times did kids do something from WOW that had bad results.

Fazor
2007-Dec-10, 05:54 PM
I am happy that he learned something from WOW, but at the same time, how many times did kids do something from WOW that had bad results.

You mean, like discovering that the chest piece [Skettis T-shirt of the Boar]'s armor rating isn't high enough to absorb all the damage of Eviscerate?

Or that shopping at Best Buy the day after Thanksgiving isn't a 25-man raid instance? ...wait, or IS it? :think:

Fazor
2007-Dec-10, 06:03 PM
And if it had been a black bear, feigning death would have got him eaten.
Luckily, his skill was transferrable on this occasion; but if he'd encountered a different animal, we'd have been bemoaning the dumb things he learned from an on-line game.
Grant Hutchison

Well, sounds like he plays enough to know that FD (in-game shorthand for Fein Death) is easily resisted by mobs that are a much higher level than yourself. Of course, then you'd need to know if a RL black-bear is the equivilant of a Winterspring bear (relatively high lvl) or a Ashenvale bear (relatively low).

Sorry...it's not often that I get to flaunt my dorkiness on this site. :)

grant hutchison
2007-Dec-10, 07:21 PM
Sorry...it's not often that I get to flaunt my dorkiness on this site. :)I recognized most of the individual words; it's just the whole sentences that don't make sense to me ... :)

Grant Hutchison

Fazor
2007-Dec-10, 07:24 PM
I recognized most of the individual words; it's just the whole sentences that don't make sense to me ... :)

Grant Hutchison

In the words of someone who recently succeeded, "Success!"

peter eldergill
2007-Dec-10, 08:03 PM
I get wife aggro alot... and I certainly do NOT have a lvl 70 mage with full spellfire and spellstrike sets

I also don't have alts on about 7 different servers

Pete

Gillianren
2007-Dec-10, 08:04 PM
Sorry...it's not often that I get to flaunt my dorkiness on this site. :)

To flaunt mine, the word's spelled "feign."

Fazor
2007-Dec-10, 08:13 PM
To flaunt mine, the word's spelled "feign."

The worst part is, I knew that, but it didn't prevent me from leaving the g out multiple times.

At least I know if I ever need your help with something, all I have to do is make a post with some obvious misspellings, and you'll show up. Kinda like the bat-signal. :)

toolazytotypemyname
2007-Dec-11, 12:40 AM
having no clue about World of Warcraft, but having encountered several moose in the wild, up close and personal, I have mixed feeling about that story. On the surface it's pretty funny and I'm glad no one was hurt. At the same time, it's a pretty sad statement of today's youth, that they spend so little time outside and that he "learned" what to do from a video game. He was lucky, playing dead is not really the greatest idea.

I've run into a mama moose with her calf before. Getting away as fast as possible was the way to go, as she was getting ready to defend her young. Few things have been as exhilarating as standing about 15 feet from a 1000 pound angry animal with only a few skinny trees around for cover.

I've also come across solitary moose and they wanted nothing to do with me, and wouldn't even stop long enough for a picture.

ABR.
2007-Dec-11, 01:11 AM
He was lucky, playing dead is not really the greatest idea.

I concur. I've had two standoffs with mse in Colorado. Each time, as the mse stared me down, I had the distinct feeling that it was weighing two courses of action: Do I stomp it? Do I run away from it? Fortunately, they both chose the latter.

Oh, and...
Also wik!

Moose
2007-Dec-11, 01:38 AM
I'd like to hear from Moose (http://www.bautforum.com/members/moose.html) himself before passing judgement. He doesn't seem too agressive to me.

I've said it elsewhere: I don't bite except by special request.

Tobin Dax
2007-Dec-11, 04:59 AM
Fazor's initial post makes me realize that I've been watching Sanford & Son reruns too much recently. Oh, playing dead (or something like that) didn't work too well for Redd Foxx, either. ;)

Alasdhair
2007-Dec-11, 02:40 PM
I concur. I've had two standoffs with mse in Colorado. Each time, as the mse stared me down, I had the distinct feeling that it was weighing two courses of action: Do I stomp it? Do I run away from it? Fortunately, they both chose the latter.

Oh, and...
Also wik!

... a mse bit my sister once ...

... no, realli ...

Silly String Theory
2007-Dec-11, 03:28 PM
I think it's just really fortunate that the kid plays a hunter and not a necromancer. I doubt he would have had much luck summoning a corpse to drive the moose away.

publiusr
2007-Dec-14, 05:56 PM
" He doesn't seem too agressive to me. "

He hasn't been the same since Rocky died.

Boris and Natasha finally brought him down with a SA-2 Guideline

Now moose won't brush his antlers, tauts grizzly bears...he saw a few more tweens and it set him off.

Moose
2007-Dec-14, 06:35 PM
Piece of advice for folks encountering aggressive meese. You don't actually have to outrun the moose. You simply have to outrun your kid sister.

Fazor
2007-Dec-14, 06:59 PM
Piece of advice for folks encountering aggressive meese. You don't actually have to outrun the moose. You simply have to outrun your kid sister.

By the way, Moose, I've been meaning to ask you what you were doing roaming the Norwegian woods, and scaring little boys and girls? Bad Moose! That's just not nice!