PDA

View Full Version : The spinning moon thing.

dahweeds
2007-Dec-10, 03:32 AM
Hello, I am David Gates.
I am a pretty bad astronomer.
I am struggling with the spinning/standing still moon thing.
I read the explanation and did the x ball test.
Now I see that the moon does not really spin from my earth view.
So I need to make sure it is really spinning, once a month.

So, please tell me what will happen if I cut the moon loose from
its earth orbit today, and send it straight out in to the universe
until Jesus comes again.

Will the moon continue to rotate once a month, (since it
was set in motion by the earth) or will it then stand still
on it's trajectory with one side being permanently lit by
our sun

Thanks for any help.

cjl
2007-Dec-10, 04:12 AM
If it left earth orbit, the spinning would continue.

Count Zero
2007-Dec-10, 11:27 AM
...and send it straight out in to the universe until Jesus comes again.

You mean 2443 (when most video tapes were destroyed)?

Ilya
2007-Dec-10, 08:25 PM
...and send it straight out in to the universe until Jesus comes again.

You mean 2443 (when most video tapes were destroyed)?

Since after 2443 the universe apparently continued without much change, I would say the moon would keep on spinning.

man on the moon
2007-Dec-15, 12:23 AM
I would endeavor to answer, but it has already been discussed several times, and probably in a better fashion than I could answer off the cuff. Check here (http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/tides.html) or use the search function at the top of the page to look through older threads discussing this topic.

If that still does not answer your question, ask again. Just make sure to mention that you read the already existing material.

If you are a pretty bad astronomer, join the club. You aren't the only one--well--let me clarify. You are not the only one who started out bad. Hopefully by being here, asking good questions, searching for answers (both being willing to ask AND using the search function) you can get to be a better one.

This was your first (and as of now) only post, I noticed. Welcome to the board! Hopefully time spent here will be enlightening. Sometimes people can get harsh sounding, but it's nothing personal unless you spout nonsense and stick to it. As long as you're willing to learn I think you'll make some progress and hopefully some friends too. :)