PDA

View Full Version : Got the Book last week

StevieG
2002-Mar-07, 06:00 AM
Got the book last week, have to say...AWESOME! Stuffed full of cool information, things I never even realized was false. I did notice on the back cover that this was the 1st in a series and the next one will be called "Bad Medicine" When is that due to hit the bookstores, I would love to have that edition as quickly as possible, but, more importantly...what are the other titles proposed for the series and I am crossing my fingers that one will be devoted totally to movies and television.

Just to let you know, you have a fan for life, you hit subjects I always argue with others about and now I have a book to back me up and finally get the last word. Thank you very much!

MHS
2002-Mar-07, 09:15 AM
Welcome aboard StevieG! Now do what I did when I first discovered badastronomy.com: print and read every article on the site! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Russ
2002-Mar-11, 11:01 PM
I got the book today! As it happens it is also my birthday so I got a fine present to make the day complete. I have not read anything yet but am looking forward to reading the forward, oops!, introduction.

I've got one whine. It took Amazon LLLOOONNGG enough to get it here! Go ahead Phil, have a beer on me. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Silas
2002-Mar-16, 07:49 PM
Got the book today! I wanted to sit down right there in the post office and read it without leaving...

I've finished the first four chapters, and so I am going to totally ruin my intellectual credibility (grin!) by reviewing it: Good Work!

The style is cheerful, friendly, and CLEAR! The sheer clarity of the explanations rivals the style of Isaac Asimov, perhaps the best explainer of our times.

I like the standard technique of putting new words in bold when they're first introduced.

(I have a book on logic in which the author made the hellish error of putting special terms in bold -- every time they're used, instead of just the first time! It made the book completely unreadable!)

Mr. Plait, you may be a "Bad Astronomer," but, by thunder, you're a Good Explainer! I figure to buy a few more copies over the course of the year for birthdays and the holidays!

Silas

MHS
2002-Mar-17, 07:01 AM
I still haven't got it! You have no idea how hard it is to get it shipped 'across'. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Roy Batty
2002-Mar-17, 03:28 PM
Hang in there, got mine yesterday.. 12 days after Amazon emailed to say they'd shipped!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Roy Batty on 2002-03-17 10:31 ]</font>