PDA

View Full Version : New Moon Race

Superluminal
2003-Aug-06, 11:43 PM
With the Chinese working on putting men in orbit possibly later this year, and aiming for a manned moon landing by 2020, do you think that Americans could be motivated to get their space act together and launch a 2nd moon race? After all, the moon is in a sense our territory, I think it would be great if Americans could be there to welcome them to the Lunar Club. :oops: And think how embarassing it would be when they get there and find we faked it back in the '60's. :wink:

Yalius
2003-Aug-07, 12:05 AM
I'd rather see resources put into a Mars mission... why revisit when you can do something new?

SirPolish
2003-Aug-07, 12:21 AM
Um race China to the moon? I'm sorry to say we already won. How about we race China to Mars. The moon is not by any sense our territory, even though we planted our flag there it so no "I clamth thiths land thor thpain".

Glom
2003-Aug-07, 09:17 AM
They might be motivated, but first they've got to realise that it's going to happen. In other words, they won't care until the first Chinese orbital mission.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Aug-07, 06:58 PM
Reactionary culture. It's too bad really. People need to think ahead.

Jpax2003
2003-Aug-07, 08:21 PM
Why would they actually want to go to the moon? They could just pirate the videos of the Americans' First Faked moon-landing. All they would need to do is edit the flag and Dub over Neil Armstrong:

"One small step for man, One giant leap for Jackie Chan"

No really, maybe we should sit back and let China and Japan race for the moon. Then we could race that winner for Mars.

JPax

TinFoilHat
2003-Aug-07, 09:33 PM
With the Chinese working on putting men in orbit possibly later this year, and aiming for a manned moon landing by 2020,
When did they say that they're aiming for a manned moon mission? Everything I've heard indicates that the Chinese are only planning unmanned missions to the moon.

Jpax2003
2003-Aug-07, 10:28 PM
Isn't there an old saying that "if every one in china picked up a rock and started marching, they would take over the world'?

Well, maybe they figured 'send one chinese person to the moon and he'd have one rock big enough to take over the world."

JPax

kucharek
2003-Aug-08, 05:39 AM
Maybe we will one time see a PRC vs. ROC moon race, but surely not a US vs. PRC moon race. Currently, the PRC vs. ROC race is on the level of high-rise buildings. That's a good first step... ;-)

fingolfen
2003-Aug-08, 06:27 PM
With the Chinese working on putting men in orbit possibly later this year, and aiming for a manned moon landing by 2020, do you think that Americans could be motivated to get their space act together and launch a 2nd moon race? After all, the moon is in a sense our territory, I think it would be great if Americans could be there to welcome them to the Lunar Club. :oops: And think how embarassing it would be when they get there and find we faked it back in the '60's. :wink:

For China, it's a representation of National Pride. For the U.S. at this point there would have to be some overwhelming commercial or scientific reason for us to return to the moon. Long term there could be those reasons, but with the current lack of support for space exploration, I don't see an economic enough human lift system to make moon exploration/inhabitation commercially viable in the near future...

ToSeek
2003-Aug-08, 07:54 PM

Been there, done that, brought back the rocks. ;)

Donnie B.
2003-Aug-08, 10:48 PM
"I walked on the Moon, and all I got was this lousy stalker."

Colt
2003-Aug-09, 02:39 PM
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/chirbase.htm

I think another space race would be good, either back to the Moon for the Americans or a first time for the Chinese. What I would not like to see it develop into is some political conflict with rattling of shields and nuclear sabres. -Colt

JayUtah
2003-Aug-09, 04:10 PM
While competition spurs innovation and ingenuity, it also adds unnecessary pressure to meet deadlines. If there's another space race there will be another Apollo 1. I'm not pleased by our lethargic progress toward Mars or back to the moon, but I recognize in it a certain sanity.

Chip
2003-Aug-10, 08:39 AM
While competition spurs innovation and ingenuity, it also adds unnecessary pressure to meet deadlines. If there's another space race there will be another Apollo 1. I'm not pleased by our lethargic progress toward Mars or back to the moon, but I recognize in it a certain sanity.

Good points. I also detect, at least within this thread, a feeling that since NASA has already been to the moon (30 years ago) we Yankees know all about it, and we should now go on to Mars.

I'm all in favor of a human Mars landing within our lifetimes, as well as the upcoming robot Mars landings, but I'd like to point out that the moon actually remains a very mysterious object, and there is much to explore there. Yes, we learned a lot from subsequent research stemming from the Apollo landings, but there are many strange and interesting natural formations on the moon that need better understanding as they also affect our understanding of other worlds as well.

I hope China leaves robotic landers on the moon, and it would be great if data from these were available to scientists around the world.

wedgebert
2003-Aug-11, 01:01 AM
I say we to back to the moon and stay there, to heck with Mars.

But what's more, I think we should go back to Luna with a sense of humor. Get an astronaut to wander around in shock that everything the ApolloHoaxers said wasn't true. Have him stare at his own footprints, ask why everyone is wandering around in slow motion, wonder why shadows aren't parallel or why there's no crater underneath the lander.

Then the astronaut can look in to the camera and say "Oh yeah, it's because the ApolloHoaxers were WRONG"

Then they can all have a good laugh and mumble something about "idiots" that we "weren't meant" to here ;)

Superluminal
2003-Aug-11, 02:25 AM
Since astronomers still use the LLRR at Tranquility Base, is the Chinese make it to the moon, I hope they remember to bring a dust rag with them and dust off the mirrors. They ought to be getting pretty dusty by then.