PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy Has 1,000 Times Our Rate of Star Formation

Fraser
2007-Dec-20, 03:40 AM
Here in the Milky Way, new stars are formed at a rate of roughly 4 per year; that's considered pretty normal for spiral galaxy like ours. But researchers have found a galaxy that's absolutely bursting with new star formation. Instead of our leisurely 4 stars per year, this distant galaxy is generating more than 4,000 [...]

More... (http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/universetoday/pYdq/~3/203016520/)

mfumbesi
2007-Dec-20, 12:53 PM
....is located about 12 billion light-years from Earth. This means that astronomers are seeing the light coming from it at a point when the Universe was only 1.5 billion years old.
If this was happening so long ago, what was the rate of star formation on the Milkyway 12 Billion years ago. Comparing the current rate of formation on the Milkyway with what we see from 12 Billion years ago does not sound like a fair comparison, our sun wasn't around then.....am I missing something here.

antoniseb
2007-Dec-20, 03:18 PM
If this was happening so long ago, what was the rate of star formation on the Milkyway 12 Billion years ago. Comparing the current rate of formation on the Milkyway with what we see from 12 Billion years ago does not sound like a fair comparison, our sun wasn't around then.....am I missing something here.
You're not missing anything that I can tell. The Milky Way most likely had a period of very rapid star production about that same time, though even then 4000 stars per year is a lot for a galaxy. 40 to 400 isn't out of the question though.

More detailed observations of these distant galaxies with better instruments will tell us a lot about how things were in the universe back in the old days.