PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Holiday Entertainment

Maksutov
2007-Dec-20, 09:24 AM
Movies:

Bad Santa starring Billy Bob Thornton
The Addams Family, for the opening scene with the carolers and the boiling oil.
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians

TV Shows:

Married...with Children: "You Better Watch Out", "It's a Bundyful Life", "Christmas", "The Worst Noel", "I Can't Believe It's Butter", and "God Help Ye, Merry Bundymen"
Family Guy: "A Very Special Family Guy Freakin' Christmas"
Futurama: "Xmas Story" and "A Tale of Two Santas"
Robot Chicken: "Robot Chicken Christmas Special" and "Robot Chicken's Half-(butted) Christmas Special"
Moral Orel: "The Best Christmas Ever!"

Music:

White Christmas, written by the Jewish songwriter Israel Isidore Baline, 1962 version sung by George Wallace.

What a Friend We Have in Jesus, as sung by the Choral Society of the Greater New York Jewish Merchant's Association every December 26th.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4882/moralorelqd3.th.jpg (http://img338.imageshack.us/my.php?image=moralorelqd3.jpg)

What are your favorites?

Argos
2007-Dec-20, 11:04 AM
Favorite Holiday entertainment: Going to the beach [listening to some Bossa Nova song]. :)

(*) Married with children... Is it still aired up there?

Maksutov
2007-Dec-20, 12:05 PM
Favorite Holiday entertainment: Going to the beach[listening to some Bossa Nova song]. :)Which way to Ipanema (http://www.traveladventures.org/continents/southamerica/images/riobums04.jpg)?

(*) Married with children... Is it still aired up there?The cable network FX shows spliced and diced (by commercials and goddam pop-ups) versions. Fortunately I have them all on DVD, and modified DVDs, since there was a dispute over the "Love and Marriage" music. Nice to be able to demux, modify the sound track and then remux.

Argos
2007-Dec-20, 12:18 PM
Which way to Ipanema (http://www.traveladventures.org/continents/southamerica/images/riobums04.jpg)?

It´s been a long time since I last went to Rio [~ten yers]. My neck of woods is Ubatuba (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubatuba), in the scenic São Paulo state seaboard [and the girls (http://64.78.18.131/photos/brazil06/girls3788nova06tostee_l.jpg) are just as good]. ;)

Maksutov
2007-Dec-20, 12:32 PM
[edit][and the girls (http://64.78.18.131/photos/brazil06/girls3788nova06tostee_l.jpg) are just as good]. ;)Yum!

"Yum" being a modern derivation of an ancient Tupi word meaning "I have respect for all women." Minimalism may be so-so in music, but it's great for women's bathing suits.

That reminds of the story about how the bikini came to be named. A number of atomic bomb tests were conducted at Bikini Lagoon during 1946. The tie-in to the French bathing suit was established when one of the admirals observing the Operation Crossroads tests commented that "After the bomb exploded there was practically nothing there atoll."

Argos
2007-Dec-20, 12:47 PM
Yum!

"Yum" being a modern derivation of an ancient Tupi word meaning "I have respect for all women." Minimalism may be so-so in music, but it's great for women's bathing suits.

Alright! :) :clap:

Gillianren
2007-Dec-20, 09:33 PM
The Bishop's Wife, with Cary Grant, David Niven, and Deborah Kerr.
Miracle on 34th Street--the original, mind.
The Ref, with Denis Leary.

The Claymation Christmas Special. The way I feel shortchanged by my religion is that we don't have cool music for our holidays.
The Charlie Brown one, with the sad little tree. Hokey, but I love it.

(Actually, I loathe Married with Children and always have.)

And, of course, there's the Peter, Paul & Mary Christmas album.

Parrothead
2007-Dec-20, 11:04 PM
movies

A Christmas Carol (1951)
Miracle On 34th St. (1947)
The Bishop's Wife (1947) ...

tv

Many of the Rankin/Bass productions
Charlie Brown
How The Grinch Stole Christmas
Merry Christmas, Mr. Bean - no matter how many times I see this, Mr. Bean and the nativity scene has me laughing.
WKRP - The one where Jennifer ends up with a forest in her apartment.
Ghosts Of Christmas Eve ...

music
"Little Drummer Boy" - Johnny Cash
"Oh Come All Ye Faithful" - Jim Nabors
"Christmas Wrapping" - The Waitresses
"Cool Yule" - Louis Armstrong and The Commodores
"The Night Before Christmas Song" - Spike Jones
"Snoopy's Christmas" - The Royal Guardsmen
"Mele Kalikimaka", "Ho Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rhum", "I'll Be Home For Christmas" - Jimmy Buffett
"Fairytale Of New York" - The Pogues w/ Kirsty MacColl
A whole bunch of songs and instrumentals from the three Christmas releases by Trans-Siberian Orchestra ...

Doodler
2007-Dec-20, 11:31 PM
Computer: Lag-free MMORPGs while all the dweebs with flesh and blood relations suffer their offline families.

Music:

Walkin' round in women's underwear.
Walkin' in an Essex wonderland - 98 Rock twisted tune
Yellow snow - 98 Rock twisted tune
Grandma Got Runover By A Reindeer
Mister Grinch - Faith No More cover
I want a mistress for Christmas - AC/DC

Maksutov
2007-Dec-21, 09:00 AM
[edit](Actually, I loathe Married with Children and always have.)...
Al: Feed me, or feed me to something. I just want to be part of the food chain.
Al: Kelly, when I was a kid, there were lots of parties I wasn't invited to. I showed up anyway. I stood there with a big smile on my face, and said, "I'm here." and headed right for the food. Sure, they didn't want me there, but I had a great time. And if they didn't, so what? The point is if you want to be there, be there. Even if they hate you. You're a Bundy. Start acting like one.
Al: Hello, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Fire Arms? I have an alcohol question: Who was in the very first Lite Beer commercial? I say it was Bubba Smith but I have a friend who thinks it was... Hello?
Steve: Al, you realize that tampering with your kids' dental records is against the law.
Al: So is dressing up a chicken and calling it your wife.
Al: Hello, Peg.
Peggy: How did you know it was me?
Al: Because I actually heard God laugh.
Kelly: Bud, I'm gonna kill you and then I'm gonna bury you alive.
Al: Peg, do we really need Christmas icicles? It's May.
Peggy: Well you'll thank me in December.
Al: Only if you leave me in November.
TV Announcer: Coming up next is the television special, "I Drink Because My Father is A Shoe Salesman".
Al: [skyward towards the "deity"] Good one.
Jefferson: How am I going to pay for this?
Marcy: Three words.
Jefferson: I love you?
Marcy: Try again.
Jefferson: Hop on top?
Marcy: Get a job.
[Peg and Jefferson gape in horror]
[a frumpy middle-aged woman walks into Al's shoe store]
Woman: I need shoes.
Al: Blacksmith's right around the corner.
Operator Recording: Your selections indicate you own a burnt sienna, mid-century Dodge with over 90,000 miles on it. If this is correct, Press 1.
[Al presses 1]
Operator Recording: Hello, Mr. Bundy.
Bud: Hey, Kel. Guess what? I've got a date tonight with a foreign exchange student who's so easy she makes you look like a calculus problem.
Peggy: Question two. Who would you rather spend the night with? A - your wife, or B...
Al: B.
Al: I've seen her from the front, I've seen her from the back. / I've seen her in a chair, I've seen her in the sack. / I've seen her stand, I've seen her crouch. / I've seen her on her stupid couch. / I do not like her in the mall, I do not like her in the hall. / I do not like her in my life, I do not like my big red wife.
Peggy: This is George Washington, the father of our country.
Kelly: I thought that was James Brown.
Peggy: No, he was the Godfather of soul.
Kelly: I thought that was Don Corleone.
Peggy: I think we've had enough for one day.
Al: Peg, "To Serve Man"... It's a cook book!
Al: And love and marriage go together like... Peg, what do love and marriage go together like?
Peggy: How the hell should I know?
Al: Women, you can't live with them... the end.
Al: Ah, home sweet hell. What's not to like?

Having grown up in a dysfunctional family, it was a treat to watch a family more dysfunctional than mine.

Plus Married...with Children had the greatest TV dog ever. No, that was a chicken. He was Buck.

Lianachan
2007-Dec-21, 09:06 AM
Some good - and some dreadful - suggestions up there.

I would add National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and Trading Places as providing a laugh at this time of year.

Maksutov
2007-Dec-21, 09:15 AM
Some good - and some dreadful - suggestions up there.

I would add National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and Trading Places as providing a laugh at this time of year.Ah, Trading Places with the magnificent World Trade Center only outshone by the magnificent Jamie Lee Curtis (mirror or no mirror).

Thank you, Janet Leigh.

peteshimmon
2007-Dec-21, 07:13 PM
Weird seeing the 1951 Scrooge listed above.
That was old when I first saw it televised
late on Boxing Day 1962. And that was 405
line B&W. Now I have my colourised DVD copy
that was a freebee in a newspaper a few years
ago. Some 25 years ago I asked Dad to video it
when it was broadcast at the time. On playing
it back, Dad asked my teenage brother who the
young Scrooge was. He looked and muttered
"minder" meaning the character Arthur Dailey
that George Cole was playing in the popular
show of the eighties.

When I look at it now I have to hold back a
peculiar choking at the scene when Alastair
Sim is being encouraged by a shy maid to
enter into his nephews party. Keep thinking it
is a young Audrey Hepburn but I am not sure.
And Hattie Jacques is the Mother Fan not
surviving childbirth. And Patrick McNee is
in there somewhere, he introduces the DVD I
have. These actors and Actresses (yes) transend
the generations. Now I will keep humming
Babara Allen!

KaiYeves
2007-Dec-21, 08:04 PM
I love this song, but so far, I have not heard it on the radio this year.

Lianachan
2007-Dec-21, 08:49 PM
Ever wondered "What Can You Get A Wookie For Christmas (When He Already Owns A Comb)", or are you a Bon Jovi completist who's missing Jon Bongiovi's first appearance?

Then you need Christmas In The Stars: The Star Wars Christmas Album (http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Stars-Star-Wars-Album/dp/B0000033VG).

Probably the worst thing I've ever heard.

Parrothead
2007-Dec-23, 12:03 AM
Last night, I watched the Bob Clark directed 1974 horror/thriller "Black Christmas" starring Olivia Hussey, Margot Kidder, Keir Dullea, John Saxon, Andrea Martin and others, does that count as a Christmas flick? ;)

Kaptain K
2007-Dec-23, 12:28 AM

I love this song, but so far, I have not heard it on the radio this year.
I should be so lucky! Our local "Christmas only" station has been playing it three or four times a day (along with everything else on their limited play list). In fact, they just mentioned that it's on next (after five or six minutes of commercials, of course).

sarongsong
2007-Dec-24, 12:20 AM
Hee-hee, the local channel had this running yesterday---surprisingly good! :)
...a local filmmaker's take on the seasonal “comfort” video...glacier water and flakes of unknown composition...40 minutes...
San Diego Union-Tribune (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20071217-9999-1n17globe.html)[Sound volume alert: The linked 1-minute sampler has a (good-but-)loud soundtrack.]

Trebuchet
2007-Dec-25, 12:58 AM
Any of Stan Boreson's Christmas music.

That's pretty local, but a few will understand.

KaiYeves
2007-Dec-25, 07:34 PM
I spent last night (Christmas Eve) watching episodes 2,3, and 4 of Cosmos with my father.
Not the usual holiday entertainment, but it sure made me happy.

Parrothead
2007-Dec-25, 08:57 PM
The Bishop's Wife, with Cary Grant, David Niven, and Deborah Kerr. ...

Pssst, Loretta Young, not Deborah Kerr

ETA: After returning home from the Christmas Eve festivities, loads of good food, drinks, opening gifts (having to sing to get the first one). "A Christmas Carol" (1951) was on, I drifted off during that, awoke switched stations, TCM had "Bells of St. Mary's" on (it was at the point where the nun is teaching the kid to box, followed by the fight) drifted off again. Woke up, went to bed. Today has been relaxing, made some more dough for some baking to be done. Enjoying a vodka tonic, "Miracle on 34th St." (1947) is on in the background.

Gillianren
2007-Dec-25, 09:01 PM
Pssst, Loretta Young, not Deborah Kerr

Indeed yes. Why did I think it was Deborah Kerr? (I should've just checked my copy, huh?)

Whirlpool
2007-Dec-26, 12:26 AM
Movie

Harry Potter (1-5)
Actually anything inside my rack, whatever I can pick at the time and moment

TV Shows

uhhh....:think:

Music

The Corrs Live
The Christmas Song

That's all I can think of now ..

<back to cleaning the house for the nth time after Patrick messing it with his toys for the nth time >

:doh:

Maksutov
2007-Dec-26, 07:57 AM
Now that I'm done with this classic

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1641/scctmig3.th.jpg (http://img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scctmig3.jpg)

it's time to get ready for the New Year's movie orgy, beginning with

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/3183/manosvj6.th.jpg (http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?image=manosvj6.jpg)

man on the moon
2007-Dec-26, 09:03 AM
I spent last night (Christmas Eve) watching episodes 2,3, and 4 of Cosmos with my father.
Not the usual holiday entertainment, but it sure made me happy.

Christmas Eve night I watched Caddyshack II, and yesterday I walked in on one of my roommates watching..."Miracle on Ice, The Story of the 1980 US Olympic Hockey Team"

:S

Odd, but not all bad

Tog
2007-Dec-26, 09:22 AM
Computer: Lag-free MMORPGs while all the dweebs with flesh and blood relations suffer their offline families.

Yeah, so ummm... I started a coughing fit there trying to hold in the laughter (I'm at work) and nearly died. And I agree.:lol: Ahh, to be able to teleport through Talos Island...

Movies:
A Christmas Story - Somehow never gets old for me.
Harry Potters are good.
Die Hard - it was Christmas.

Music:
Beethoven's 9th
Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Any number of off the wall novelty Christmas songs.