PDA

View Full Version : AAS - Austin Meetup Tuesday Jan 8, 8pm

StarStryder
2007-Dec-22, 05:31 AM
Hi Everyone,

Astronomy Cast and the Bad Astronomer his bad self are planning to have meetup for all you wonderful fans and friends out there who will be at the AAS meeting or who feel like driving to Austin.

The place isn't set in stone, but we're thinking may the Iron Cactus downtown (the bar and grill within walking of the convention center - Anyone in Austin willing to do some footwork? Checking out if the Iron Cactus has a room and making reservations or similar?)

Time is Tuesday at 8pm.

We'd love to get some general sense of how many people are interested. If you are thinking of going, can you please pipe up?

Cheers,
Pamela

Neverfly
2007-Dec-22, 08:52 AM
Wow, right in my hometown...
What are the odds?

I can do footwork easy- Ive been to the Iron Cactus several times...

Also isn't CrossCountry an Austinite? As well as Kaptain K (Elgin, but close )

Tinaa
2007-Dec-22, 02:53 PM
I'm an hour south of Austin - near New Braunfels. I'll go! Neverfly - I'm going to have to get some really good directions.

StarStryder
2007-Dec-22, 03:33 PM
Hi Neverfly, Thanks! There is also a little bit of discussion over on my blog about this. If you could coordinate something for us, it would make us amazingly happy! Our on real concern is that the under 21 among us (specifically Astro Cast's producer, Rebecca) can get in, and that we have room for this to bloat. If you want to pm me your email or phone number, we can chat offline.

And it sounds like there will be folks willing to help!

Neverfly
2007-Dec-22, 06:08 PM
I'm an hour south of Austin - near New Braunfels. I'll go! Neverfly - I'm going to have to get some really good directions.

That's No problem- I service a nine county area- including yours:p
There is another among us from San Antonio I believe...

Hi Neverfly, Thanks! There is also a little bit of discussion over on my blog about this. If you could coordinate something for us, it would make us amazingly happy! Our on real concern is that the under 21 among us (specifically Astro Cast's producer, Rebecca) can get in, and that we have room for this to bloat. If you want to pm me your email or phone number, we can chat offline.

And it sounds like there will be folks willing to help!
Unless the manager has changed at Iron Cactus- I've done work for them- I'll check on that. Makes things simpler... and just PM the results to you.

George
2007-Dec-23, 04:06 AM
Count me in! I've notified the San Antonio Astronomy Assoc. and expect others will come, too.

ngc3314
2007-Dec-23, 07:57 AM
I'll be there, at least Monday-Wednesday evenings that week if the gathering fits on one of those.

Sphinxy
2007-Dec-27, 01:51 PM
Wish I could go, sadly I'm a bit too far away in England. But have fun guys :)

Hydro
2007-Dec-27, 02:35 PM
Tuesday the 8th? Hmmm. Possible in my case. Is this still a go?

crosscountry
2007-Dec-28, 04:49 AM
Count me in! I've notified the San Antonio Astronomy Assoc. and expect others will come, too.

Count me in. I look forward to meeting you and everyone else that can make it.

Austin is a great place to have a meeting!

crosscountry
2007-Dec-28, 04:50 AM
any objections to someone bringing a camera?

Neverfly
2007-Dec-28, 04:59 AM

My face tends to break those things...

crosscountry
2007-Dec-28, 05:13 AM
I have a special filter for such eventualities.

Swift
2007-Dec-28, 05:36 AM
I'm too far for a visit too, but I hope you document the whole event and post lots of pictures for us fans from afar.

Whirlpool
2007-Dec-28, 05:51 AM

You're an astrophotographer , for sure you'll bring your camera .

;)

1701Dale
2007-Dec-29, 03:05 PM
Hi Everyone,

Astronomy Cast and the Bad Astronomer his bad self are planning to have meetup for all you wonderful fans and friends out there who will be at the AAS meeting or who feel like driving to Austin.

The place isn't set in stone, but we're thinking may the Iron Cactus downtown (the bar and grill within walking of the convention center - Anyone in Austin willing to do some footwork? Checking out if the Iron Cactus has a room and making reservations or similar?)

Time is Tuesday at 8pm.

We'd love to get some general sense of how many people are interested. If you are thinking of going, can you please pipe up?

Cheers,
Pamela

Hey Pamela, Would really love to be there in Austin on the night, but the tyranny of distance may well prevent that from happening.....SO from myself, and other devoted Astronomy Cast listeners here in Australia, all the best and have a drink for us whilst your at it!
Look forward to hearing the outcome on one of the ensuing episodes of A/Cast..........Love your work!.....keep it up!...1701 Dale...Canberra Australia.

multipath
2007-Dec-31, 01:11 AM
Hey, this is Steve, I posted on your blog regarding my attendance. I live in Austin, but Neverfly sounds like (s)he has the footwork nailed down.

Neverfly, let me know if you need an extra pair of hands/feet.

crosscountry
2007-Dec-31, 03:25 PM
I'll be back on the 3rd; it looks like and can help out too.

StarStryder
2008-Jan-01, 09:32 PM
Hi Everyone,

It's on. It's the Iron Cauctus.

Here's some footwork that would be awesome for someone to do:
- Balloons with little "Astronomy Cast" signs attached or something cooler so that people can find us in the bar.
- Getting there early to claim space
- Making the weather warm and clear so we can use the roof deck :)

If you want to get your own Astronomy Cast T-Shirt, you can get them on Zazzle here: http://www.zazzle.com/pd/find?qs=starstryder (fully customizable clothing with our logo designed for white or black apparel).

Thanks!

Neverfly
2008-Jan-02, 12:50 AM
Hey, this is Steve, I posted on your blog regarding my attendance. I live in Austin, but Neverfly sounds like (s)he has the footwork nailed down.

Neverfly, let me know if you need an extra pair of hands/feet.

Nope, I was late to the game, I think, and PamelaGay seems to have handled it all already-

Hi Everyone,

It's on. It's the Iron Cauctus.
But...

Here's some footwork that would be awesome for someone to do:
- Balloons with little "Astronomy Cast" signs attached or something cooler so that people can find us in the bar.
- Getting there early to claim space
- Making the weather warm and clear so we can use the roof deck :)

If you want to get your own Astronomy Cast T-Shirt, you can get them on Zazzle here: http://www.zazzle.com/pd/find?qs=starstryder (fully customizable clothing with our logo designed for white or black apparel).

Thanks!

There's still stuff you can do:p

danscope
2008-Jan-02, 01:15 AM
Hi Everyone,

Time is Tuesday at 8pm.

Cheers,
Pamela

Hi Pamela, Maybe after the meeting you can fill us in? Maybe a podcast or rough transcript?
Happy newyear. Dan

multipath
2008-Jan-02, 03:50 PM
Preliminary weather report for Jan. 8:

High 77 F
Low 47 F
30% chance of isolated T-storms during the day
60% of showers overnight

If you plan on walking from the convention center to the restaurant, you might want to bring an umbrella.

multipath
2008-Jan-02, 03:52 PM
Here are directions from the Austin Convention Center to the downtown Iron Cactus. (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=500+E+Cesar+Chavez+St,+Austin,+TX+to+606+Trinity +St.,+austin,+tx&sll=30.263441,-97.756991&sspn=0.017607,0.029182&ie=UTF8&ll=30.264924,-97.743881&spn=0.008803,0.014591&z=16&om=1)

4tune8chance
2008-Jan-03, 04:00 AM
Hi Everyone,

Time is Tuesday at 8pm.

Cheers,
Pamela

Reciprocating the sentiments from half a continent and a Pacific ocean away, have a drink,.. or three,Ö for us in the big brown land down under.

Terrific podcast, itís the something I look forward to every week, and thanks for not taking a break over the holidays, Astronomy Cast withdrawal,:sick: not pretty.

parejkoj
2008-Jan-03, 05:29 AM
I'll be at the meeting, and will try and come to this meetup. Sounds like fun!

bort
2008-Jan-03, 07:23 PM
I am going to try to make it along with another avid Astronomy Cast listener. No guarantees though...

George
2008-Jan-03, 08:56 PM
The head count appears to be now at 24: 14 here counting the big team (fab four master casters), 7 from Pamela's blog, and 3 that are with me.

Has anyone notified the other AAS (Austin Astronomy Society :) )?

Fraser
2008-Jan-04, 12:05 AM
I've had about 6 emails since I posted info about it in Universe Today.

multipath
2008-Jan-04, 07:05 AM
The head count appears to be now at 24: 14 here counting the big team (fab four master casters), 7 from Pamela's blog, and 3 that are with me.

I posted both here and on Pamela's blog. Did you count Phil's blog?

Also, my directions link above was slightly incorrect. It's now fixed.

Mike McCants
2008-Jan-04, 03:51 PM
I have sent an email to the membership mailing list of the Austin Astonomical Society. I gave "info at universetoday.com" as the send an email if you think you are coming email address.

George
2008-Jan-04, 05:28 PM
I posted both here and on Pamela's blog. Did you count Phil's blog?
Yes.

The restraunt is requiring a headcount so they can prepare the necessary amount of food.

The food will be:

Chips and salsa
Chips and queso
7-layer bean dip
Shrimp Parillia (stuffing of a slice of jalapeno, Chihuahua cheese, and then wrapped in bacon). Yeh ha!
There will be a convenient cash bar set-up in the room for the purchase of any drinks/beverages.

This event will be in their Mezzanine Room, which can accomodate 30 sitting, I think, but some of the tables will probably be removed to accomodate 40. There is a stairway that takes you to the roof, which is mostly enclosed; this should relieve any overflow.

There is no cover charge. [A hat, or something, will probably get passed around for anyone wishing to help reimburse for the food.]

Is anyone doing the balloons, or decorating?

[BTW, the San Antonoio Astronomy Assoc. is also notified of the event.]

crosscountry
2008-Jan-05, 05:42 AM
ok, so are we only meeting at the restaurant or at something beforehand?

laurele
2008-Jan-05, 06:10 AM
"Astronomy Cast and the Bad Astronomer his bad self are planning to have meetup for all you wonderful fans and friends out there who will be at the AAS meeting or who feel like driving to Austin."

Is the AAS meeting open to anyone, or is it restricted to professional astronomers or AAS members? Austin is too far for me, and I have other commitments, but I am curious about the general policy for interested people who may want to attend the meeting.

Neverfly
2008-Jan-05, 06:24 AM
It is open- not restricted.

I think it would be helpful- for those who are planning to attend
if there was a singular spot (with a link?) where everyone can look for all details- name list of who's going (headcount) etc...
What preparations have already been taken care of - what times- the map- etc...

Right now it seems kinda hodge podge:neutral:
I personally, don't know who's blog is where or what anyway (although I'll most likely not be there) and I think that it would probably easier to have an accurate headcount and less confusion if there was one good spot where everyone can confer.

Whirlpool
2008-Jan-05, 08:56 AM
The food will be:

Chips and salsa
Chips and queso
7-layer bean dip
Shrimp Parillia (stuffing of a slice of jalapeno, Chihuahua cheese, and then wrapped in bacon). Yeh ha!

Wow ! That's Yummy , I love mexican food!

Wish I can be there .... :sad:

parejkoj
2008-Jan-05, 03:05 PM
Is the AAS meeting open to anyone, or is it restricted to professional astronomers or AAS members? Austin is too far for me, and I have other commitments, but I am curious about the general policy for interested people who may want to attend the meeting.

The blogging/podcasting meetup is open to everyone, but one has to pay a lot more to attend the AAS meeting if one is not an member of AAS. If you are curious about registration, the AAS website has more information (http://aas.org/meetings/aas211/registration.php). Becoming a member of AAS requires Nomination by two current members, which generally requires that one be working in the field.

George
2008-Jan-05, 09:18 PM
I think it would be helpful- for those who are planning to attend if there was a singular spot (with a link?) where everyone can look for all details- name list of who's going (headcount) etc...
This thread seems to be the key spot and has been referenced in the blogs.

What preparations have already been taken care of - what times- the map- etc...
The Iron Cactus has us locked-in (see my prior post). Overflow can go onto the roof which is mostly enclosed due to weather concerns.

Any new things that pop-up in the blogs, hopefully, will get reported here. I am not always current with all three of them.

Other than a place, food, cash bar, and a microphone, nothing else that I am aware of is being done. Does anyone have ideas for decorations? Astronomy Cast balloons for directions was a good idea someone mentioned.

crosscountry
2008-Jan-06, 06:25 AM
looks like good weather. 21C is nice enough to go outside with short sleeves.

parejkoj
2008-Jan-06, 04:28 PM
Just for reference, I may be bringing 2-3 more people.

Galaxy
2008-Jan-07, 04:42 AM
There is now an official post on our website summarizing details including a map showing the Iron Cactus' location in relation to convention centre and the conference hotels.

-Rebecca B-F

crosscountry
2008-Jan-07, 05:36 AM
which website?

Galaxy
2008-Jan-07, 12:50 PM
which website?

Astronomy Cast's - here (http://www.astronomycast.com/the-show/astronomy-cast-meetup-at-aas-austin/).

crosscountry
2008-Jan-07, 03:38 PM
cool, I'll be there at 8 tomorrow :D

George
2008-Jan-07, 07:30 PM
Great.

Because of the very nice turn-out that is now expected (up to ~60), the event has moved to the prestigious rooftop area of the Iron Cactus. If there happens to be folks in the Mezzanine, though unlikely, it ain't us. The rooftop is a much larger area and we may be able to seat everyone. It has a retractable roof/covering, though not a dome with doors. :)

Weather is suppose to be very clear, and the temperature should be about 60F. We aim to please!

crosscountry
2008-Jan-07, 10:35 PM
thanks for the weather report. it's hard to believe being that it's so cloudy now, but 28 hours is plenty to change around here.

George
2008-Jan-07, 10:50 PM
We could have 28 changes between now and then, but it is favorable for the "then". :)

parejkoj
2008-Jan-07, 11:19 PM
Just checked into the hotel. Going over to the conference center in a bit to register. Hope to see people around!

Jim
2008-Jan-07, 11:42 PM
I hate all of you.

Sorry, that just spilled out. I'm stuck in Houston and can't be there.

Oh, well, have fun... and have a Brave Bull for me.

SpaceDog11
2008-Jan-08, 03:29 AM
I thought I put myself down as going on the starstryder blog. Maybe I forgot to hit post. I'm still intending to drive down to Austin with a friend tomorrow afternoon.

George
2008-Jan-08, 03:43 AM
Nice first post! Welcome here and there. :clap:

Code
2008-Jan-08, 01:38 PM
Was listening to the latest Astronomy Cast episode on the flight down and wanted to list myself as attending. :)

Oh, and hi everyone!

George
2008-Jan-08, 01:45 PM
This event is like having a membership drive. :) Welcome to BAUT Code. :clap: See you tonight.

crosscountry
2008-Jan-09, 12:15 AM
I'll leave soon!

eric_marsh
2008-Jan-09, 04:30 AM
Pamela and Fraser, it was nice meeting the both of you. It's great to associate a face with the voices. Wish I'd had a chance to meet Phil but perhaps next time. It was also neat to meet other folks in the Austin area who are into astronomy.

Lets hope this is the first of many meetups.

crosscountry
2008-Jan-09, 03:03 PM
Man that was fun. I'm so glad I got to meet all of you!

George
2008-Jan-09, 05:20 PM
That was a very special treat. Great turnout. I am still unsure which one of these leaders suggested they get together, but I am very glad they did. My understanding it was a first for them to do so.

I wish I had time today to keep-up with the live blogging going on.

Good to meet all the BAUTers there, too! :clap:

parejkoj
2008-Jan-09, 08:32 PM
I'm sorry I wasn't able to make it: I was having dinner with a group, and it took a long time. Hope everyone had fun.

And if you are around today (tuesday), my poster is #46.04...

Tinaa
2008-Jan-09, 11:00 PM
I was very happy to meet several of our BAUTers and a few lurkers! Thank you George for all your work setting it up. I had a really good time.

crosscountry
2008-Jan-09, 11:27 PM
Yea, George, thanks very much for getting us all together.

Siebes
2008-Jan-10, 02:25 AM
I took some pictures at the Meet and Greet Tuesday night and posted them on Picasa.

http://picasaweb.google.com/johnrsieber/20080108AstronomyCast

It was great to meet everyone last night. It was really fun to see and talk to everyone in person. Thanks again for organizing the event!!

John

Whirlpool
2008-Jan-10, 03:15 AM
Where are the pictures?

switchtech
2008-Jan-10, 03:17 AM
Just to echo the previous comments, I enjoyed the meet up immensely. I enjoyed talking to the several folks that I had a chance to (Tinaa and others), including, of course, Phil, Pamela, Fraser, and Rebecca.

jbs

Neverfly
2008-Jan-10, 05:27 AM
Being a severe anti-social type- I will still agree.

Meeting people rather suddenly in a group that you never met before in a social setting is quite different from meeting them in business.

Thanks to Georges coordinating and efforts and Tinaa's jumping in and keeping everyone together- It went very well.

crosscountry
2008-Jan-10, 05:41 AM
Where are the pictures?

maybe if you ask George nicely he'll post some.

2008-Jan-10, 06:24 AM
So did anyone figure out who the mole was?

We did plant a mole, you know.

Whirlpool
2008-Jan-10, 09:47 AM
maybe if you ask George nicely he'll post some.

Oh , You didn't took some?

Well.. anyway.. I have to ask George....then.

Whirlpool
2008-Jan-10, 09:49 AM
That was a very special treat. Great turnout. I am still unsure which one of these leaders suggested they get together, but I am very glad they did. My understanding it was a first for them to do so.

I wish I had time today to keep-up with the live blogging going on.

Good to meet all the BAUTers there, too! :clap:

Hi George,

Do you have some pictures of the meetup?

We would be glad if you can share some of the pictures here.

:D

Tinaa
2008-Jan-10, 11:32 AM
I took some pictures at the Meet and Greet Tuesday night and posted them on Picasa.

It was great to meet everyone last night. It was really fun to see and talk to everyone in person. Thanks again for organizing the event!!

John

Whirlpool - I had to approve Siebes post (new member posting with a link). Just follow his link.

Whirlpool
2008-Jan-10, 12:01 PM
Yeah...I saw it !

Thanks John & Tinaa.

:D

crosscountry
2008-Jan-10, 03:11 PM
I searched for it and didn't find it:confused:

George
2008-Jan-10, 03:28 PM
I have only a few pictures. I'm in Chicago now, but I will post them here when I get back. First I will get permission to do so from those in them.

Unfortunately, I got almost no pictures of us BAUTers. I wasn't sure if eveyone would want their picture taken. We should have done a group shot, dangit.

George
2008-Jan-10, 03:30 PM

John

Nice! I am glad you took 'em.

bort
2008-Jan-10, 10:17 PM
I also had a really good time at the meet and greet. I wasn't too sure what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. I half expected to see everyone staring at the sky all night. ;) Looking forward to the next one...

Thanks for posting the pictures, Siebes.

Euler
2008-Jan-11, 02:00 PM
I have only a few pictures. I'm in Chicago now, but I will post them here when I get back. First I will get permission to do so from those in them.

Unfortunately, I got almost no pictures of us BAUTers. I wasn't sure if eveyone would want their picture taken. We should have done a group shot, dangit.

Thanks for uploading the pics - nice to see what was happening for us transatlantic types! Was that Chris Lintott I spotted in a couple of the pictures?

ngc3314
2008-Jan-12, 03:46 AM
Thanks for uploading the pics - nice to see what was happening for us transatlantic types! Was that Chris Lintott I spotted in a couple of the pictures?

Chris was there, at any rate. (I'd been looking forward to meeting him especially in his capacity as one of the Galaxy Zookeepers). I may be identified in pictures of the meetup, having thought to wear a T-shirt emblazoned with my avatar (and oddly enough that was not a special-order item - Mighty is the power of Google.)

George
2008-Jan-14, 02:42 AM
Chris was there, at any rate.
Your Galaxy Zoo data deluge story is worth sharing.

Ok, I am surprised that I only took a few pictures. Here they are.

crosscountry
2008-Jan-14, 02:50 PM
thanks George!

Spacewriter
2008-Jan-14, 03:42 PM
It was good to meet everyone I did have a chance to talk to at the meet-up. It was great fun and although I had to leave a bit early (like 9:30), I enjoyed it. My pics didn't turn out as well as others...

<waves>