PDA

View Full Version : Michigan crop circles

gethen
2003-Aug-07, 08:35 PM
Did anyone read yesterday's Detroit Free Press article on crop circles in Howell Township? I've tried to find it online, but have been unsuccessful. Anyway, it seems that the crop circles were discovered in May in a local farmer's field, and the woowoo's have really come out of the woodwork, of course. What's interesting though is that a couple of local radio guys, known for their crazy stunts, have recently confessed to making the circles. In additon, the article's author even talked with noted skeptic Michael Shermer who assured him that the circles were man-made, and not even particularly good man-made circles at that. And still, of course, the farmer, and many devotees are refusing to believe that the circles are of anything but extrterrestrial origin. They are just certain that no human agents could have made such "precise" designs. I think they just want to believe.

wedgebert
2003-Aug-07, 08:44 PM
"Paging mr arriba... ...paging mr arriba"

Hamlet
2003-Aug-07, 08:48 PM
Did anyone read yesterday's Detroit Free Press article on crop circles in Howell Township? I've tried to find it online, but have been unsuccessful. Anyway, it seems that the crop circles were discovered in May in a local farmer's field, and the woowoo's have really come out of the woodwork, of course. What's interesting though is that a couple of local radio guys, known for their crazy stunts, have recently confessed to making the circles. In additon, the article's author even talked with noted skeptic Michael Shermer who assured him that the circles were man-made, and not even particularly good man-made circles at that. And still, of course, the farmer, and many devotees are refusing to believe that the circles are of anything but extrterrestrial origin. They are just certain that no human agents could have made such "precise" designs. I think they just want to believe.

Here (http://www.freep.com/news/mich/signs5_20030805.htm) is the article.

Here (http://www.freep.com/news/mich/hoax6_20030806.htm) is a follow-up article stating it was a hoax.

What some people will believe. Yikes!

wedgebert
2003-Aug-07, 10:09 PM
"Still paging mr arriba"

gethen
2003-Aug-07, 11:12 PM
Thanks Hamlet!!! How did you do that? I searched the Free Press website and couldn't find it. Obviously, you're better at this than I am. :)

freddo
2003-Aug-08, 12:22 AM
Arriba for president! Did I have say that??

Thought it was appropriate..

Musashi
2003-Aug-08, 01:07 AM
Maybe arriba is running for govener of CA, that could explain his absence here... :)

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Aug-08, 01:08 AM
Arnold actually made the front page here for that!

Musashi
2003-Aug-08, 01:13 AM
I think I am going to vote for Gary Coleman!

freddo
2003-Aug-08, 01:13 AM
I think I am going to vote for Gary Coleman!

Whachooo talkin' 'bout Musashi?!?! :lol:

Musashi
2003-Aug-08, 02:17 AM
I can't believe he is running! But I would rather have him than Davis, or Sanchez for that matter...

Odinoneeye
2003-Aug-08, 07:15 AM
How did I miss this!?!?!?!

I live less than an hour from Howell and could have seen a crop circle for myself!!!!!

Probably could have sold "The aliens came and all I got was this stupid crop circle" T-shirts too.

man on the moon
2003-Aug-08, 07:47 AM
me too...howell is about twenty minutes up US-23, then I-96...

of course i'm not home, that could explain it. i still try to check the news regularly though... :-? i'll have to ask my parents if they heard about it.

Hamlet
2003-Aug-08, 01:20 PM
Thanks Hamlet!!! How did you do that? I searched the Free Press website and couldn't find it. Obviously, you're better at this than I am. :)

I searched on Google for "Detroit Free Press Crop Circles" and one of the returned links had both articles linked to it.

gethen
2003-Aug-08, 01:25 PM

I searched on Google for "Detroit Free Press Crop Circles" and one of the returned links had both articles linked to it.

Ah, good idea. Silly me. I just went to the Free Press website and searched. They must limit what they post there.

kucharek
2003-Aug-08, 01:28 PM
Just search http://news.google.com/ for crop circles

daver
2003-Aug-08, 06:13 PM
Yahoo news has had a crop circle picture in its "most popular" page several times in the last month or so. The thing about the picture is that the crop circle isn't very good--the straight lines aren't all that straight, the circles to the side are asymmetrical. Now, part of this could be that the ground wasn't particularly flat, but still, you'd expect that if you could build a star drive you could draw a good-looking figure.

Hmm. There's a line in Close Encounters where two yokels are discussing the alien's [lack of] ability to drive along a road.