PDA

View Full Version : Coincidence

pmcolt
2003-Aug-08, 05:10 AM
I thought this was kind of a weird coincidence: I was chatting with an online friend who mentioned a movie discussion forum she had just found. Sent me the link. I looked over it a bit, clicked on the first subforum that interested me, and the very first thread listed was a rant entitled You don't BLOW UP in space! (http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?s=8b99440f80e66b902dc6831067ef006d& threadid=59572). With the typical discussion of movie human bodies in a vacuum vs. real human bodies in a vacuum.

Well, I thought it was an interesting coincidence, at least.

gethen
2003-Aug-08, 01:30 PM
But it's nice to see the forces of good science out there, fighting the good fight, isn't it? :wink:

beskeptical
2003-Aug-10, 09:04 AM
I don't know how fast it would take to freeze, but the air in your lungs and intestines would be faced with instant decompression. The gasses in your tissues would come out of solution.

So I think you would explode. Fish from the deep ocean explode when brought to the surface, with the exception of a few species that have adapted to go deep and return to the surface.

Maybe 'explode' is extreme and you would just quickly rip apart?

As to the freezing, that's interesting that there would be poor heat conduction. I hadn't thought of that but it makes sense.

Waarthog
2003-Aug-10, 03:07 PM
Hmm, I would say Not entirely accurate. :)

This was a subject studied at length in both my Flight Physiology course in college and a recreational open water diver course. The consensus was that the body tissues were not strong enough to contain the air sufficiently as to cause what could be termed an explosion. Yes, the gases in the blood would most definitely come out of solution causing severe barotrauma. The most likely affect would be extreme embolizing as the gases would seek to leave, they way would be forced out through the usual channels and some weaker tissues would rupture. You would see bleeding from the orifices (insofar before it froze or vaporized), internal bleeding, and severe internal injuries. But no explosion per se.

mike alexander
2003-Aug-11, 09:55 PM
point well made. You wouldn't blow, you would bubble (but no squeak).

There's a slogan: In Space, No One Can Hear You...Ummmmm.... Burp.

darkhunter
2003-Aug-14, 05:47 PM
Another coincidence: In Rendevouz with Rama (Arthur C. Clarke, 1973), the meteor that destroys Northern Italy lands on September 11th. There's only 365 days (366 on leap years) in a year, sooner or later, a date in a book will have something happen...

AKONI
2003-Aug-17, 08:46 PM
I know when I was a teenager (and well into my 20's) I thought we did explode in space. I was a huge fan of the illustrated magazine, Heavy Metal, and they did a strip on the movie, OUTLAND when I was about 15 years old. In that issue there was an interview with the director (or writer - we're going back several years so I'm not sure). He said people exploded in his film because he did the research and found out that's what would really happen.

Apparently he didn't do the research and I believed this bit of information for years.

kucharek
2003-Aug-18, 05:31 AM
What should cause the explosion? Body fluids vaporizing at 37 degrees Celsius have not a very high steam pressure.

Detailed answer:
http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/970603.html

Ilya
2003-Aug-18, 04:44 PM
Fish from the deep ocean explode when brought to the surface, with the exception of a few species that have adapted to go deep and return to the surface.

That's because the difference in pressure between surface and deep sea is hundreds of atmospheres. Difference between surface and space is only one atmosphere.

Gas embolising from the tissues depends on the absolute, not relative pressure difference. Hard to believe, but with sea analogy going from 1 atm to vacuum is same as going from 10 meters saturation dive to the surface. That would definitely cause bends, but not a very bad case nor very quickly. The onset would take about 15 minutes - and you'd be dead from hypoxia long before that.