PDA

View Full Version : Good Astronomy on CNN

R.A.F.
2003-Aug-09, 07:52 PM
Jack Horkheimer, AKA The Star Gazer, was just interviewed on CNN. He was duscussing the Perseid Meteor shower that's coming up this next week.

Even though the CNN anchor couldn't pronounce the words Perseid, or Horkheimer, and the interview was all of about 2 1/2 minutes long, it was still an informative segment.

Jack said that if you go out about an hour or 2 before sunrise, over the next 3-4 nights, you should be able to see 2 or 3 fireballs with long trains. The peak is the 13th-14th, but then there's a full Moon to contend with.

I'm surprised that CNN, the station that has given us such drivel as Sylvia Brown can sometimes get it right.

Chuck
2003-Aug-09, 11:12 PM
I thought Jack Horkheimer was The Star Hustler. Did political correctness get to him too?

ToSeek
2003-Aug-09, 11:48 PM
I thought Jack Horkheimer was The Star Hustler. Did political correctness get to him too?

Yes, they decided he needed a less dubious name.

beskeptical
2003-Aug-10, 08:50 AM
From a google search:

This section provides illustrations for current astronomical events, based upon episodes of the "Star Gazer" (formerly "Star Hustler") television program. ...

Stargazer makes more sense. I'm not sure PC had as much to do with it as marketing.

cyswxman
2003-Aug-10, 09:39 AM
The Star Gazer episodes are pretty good, but I wish they would stop repeating this error. They keep stating that Mars is racing towards the Earth for its close encounter later this month. #-o
AARG!! No!!!! It is the Earth which is closing the distance being that the Earth is faster!