PDA

View Full Version : V-8 40% of daily sodium?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2008-Jan-11, 01:07 PM
THe other day I thought I'd do something healthy for a change, so I bought a bottle of V-8. After drinking it I look at the ingerdients list on the back and was shocked to see that this 'healthy' drink had 40% of daily sodium allowence. Always read the label Mabel.

NEOWatcher
2008-Jan-11, 01:41 PM
Yep.. People don't understand to read the labels (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/06/business/06grocery.html)

These included V8 vegetable juice (too much sodium), Campbellís Healthy Request Tomato soup (ditto), most Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice frozen dinners (ditto) and nearly all yogurt with fruit (too much sugar).

And now they (Cambell's) just went through a major campaign advertising that their products were just made healthier. Notice the "er" not "y".

Heres a press release excerpt (http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-5691324/A-healthy-history-Campbell-Soup.html#abstract).

So; based on spot checking some soups here (http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/manufacturer/432.html) (from before the release).
It looks like they went from around 33% (800/2400) to 24% (600/2400) for a single half cup of soup which represents only 1 to 10% of your caloric intake.

And the FTC was after them (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/c/consumer_protection/index.html?query=SODIUM&field=des&match=exact) once before.

DyerWolf
2008-Jan-11, 02:20 PM
V-8 sells a low sodium product as well. It tastes bland.

I like the regular V-8. But then I don't salt the rest of the food I eat all day, either...

Fazor
2008-Jan-11, 02:40 PM
I never, ever salt my food. That's not to say I care about sodium, or don't eat foods with sodium in them, I just never add any.

And, you had a V-8 without realizing it was very...well, choc-full'o-salt? It tastes like liquid salt to me. I use to hate them. Then I use to like them. I went through about a 8 month period where I'd have one for breakfast every day, and maybe one after I worked out. But now I can't stand the taste again. *shrugs*

Sodium in my food is about the last thing I care about though. I don't have high blood pressure, and I'm young enough to where it's not really a big deal. Calories, specifically fat calories, are more important to me.

torque of the town
2008-Jan-11, 03:49 PM
When I was a kid strawberry jam was such a vivid red you needed shades and tinned peas where dayglo green...

My wife is often shocked at some of contents of so called "healthy" option foods, read the label and weep.

SeanF
2008-Jan-11, 04:15 PM
THe other day I thought I'd do something healthy for a change, so I bought a bottle of V-8. After drinking it I look at the ingerdients list on the back and was shocked to see that this 'healthy' drink had 40% of daily sodium allowence. Always read the label Mabel.
I drink a can of V-8 every day (well, every weekday), but I drink the low-sodium stuff. It says 8% of the RDA of sodium.

But then, it says it has 70% less sodium than regular V-8...so that would put a can of regular V-8 at about 27% RDA. You must've had about a 17-oz bottle that was labeled as a single serving?

farmerjumperdon
2008-Jan-11, 04:26 PM
I salt eggs, popcorn, and corn on the cob (pepper on that too). Otherwise, no salt sprinkled on my food. It is all I've had to do to keep blood pressure in the healthy range.

I think shaking salt on food, like sprinkling sugar, is just something we like because we are used to it. My daughters dislike pop, saying it's way too sweet. We never let them get into heavy doses of sugar when they were younger on a regular basis, so it does not appeal to them. They love brussel sprouts, asparagus, brocolli, and other stuff; some of which I do not like. Some of their friends who are popaholics think they are wierd.

NEOWatcher
2008-Jan-11, 04:40 PM
IBut then, it says it has 70% less sodium than regular V-8...so that would put a can of regular V-8 at about 27% RDA. You must've had about a 17-oz bottle that was labeled as a single serving?
Or an old can from before they went to lower sodium.

Gillianren
2008-Jan-12, 02:37 AM
I saw something on 20/20 a while back about "healthy" restaurant choices. Invariably, they had a ton of salt. The Atkins ones had a ton of fat as well.

Maksutov
2008-Jan-12, 02:46 AM
Check out the sodium analysis on any can or jar of vegetables, soup, vegetable juice, and any processed food. The food industry loves sodium. It serves a primary purpose as a preservative, but also gets people hooked on their products, since when these folks taste normal food, they find it bland.

That's the primary reason why, for example, I make all my soup from scratch. The seasoning will typically be fresh ground black pepper, other fresh spices, and chiles as appropriate.

Kaptain K
2008-Jan-12, 03:40 AM
V-8 has as it's current radio spots, a series of commercial spot built around people getting bopped on the head because they didn't have a V-8. I tried it once (back when it was "Wow, I could have had a V-8"). Couldn't stand the stuff. all I could taste was tomato juice and I can't tomatoes or tomato juice. One of the things that cured me of falling for ads for the latest and greatest!

jfribrg
2008-Jan-12, 03:58 AM
In our house, we dont spell it out, we use the word "vate".

If I had the job of marketing V-8, I would use the slogan "V8 is Gr8" (vate is great). I would still bop people on the head too. Remember, you saw it here first.

BTW: What do you use to carry a large number of V8 cans? A V8 cr8 (a vate crate), of course.

redshifter
2008-Jan-12, 04:00 AM
that's gr8

Maksutov
2008-Jan-12, 04:30 AM
Blimey, m8, f8 has made this thread, as of l8, first r8. May it never d8 nor ab8.