PDA

View Full Version : Why do people register and then never post anything?

BigJim
2003-Aug-12, 08:41 PM
I have often wondered about this. Why bother to register if you're not going to post anything? I'd say the majority of the registrants here have either a few or zero posts. Why do they do it?

TriangleMan
2003-Aug-12, 08:44 PM
Sometimes its to lock your name up so that someone else doesn't register it. That way no one can post on the Board using a name that you use on other Boards. Imagine the confusion if someone registered "JayUtah" or "kilopi" at GLP and starting discussing their belief in the healing power of crystals!

BigJim
2003-Aug-12, 08:45 PM
What's GLP?

TriangleMan
2003-Aug-12, 08:48 PM
What's GLP?

GodLikeProductions, see the sticky in the Planet X forum.

Gmann
2003-Aug-12, 09:01 PM
Three votes so far, and all chose a different answer. :o

freddo
2003-Aug-13, 01:27 AM
The vote option I need is not there...

One of my friends is a lurker here, but she registered in order to send me a private message. She has no intention of posting - nor is she under the illusion you have to register to lurk.

Pi Man
2003-Aug-13, 02:13 AM
What say we all pick one person who has not posted a single post, and each one of us send him a PM, just to see what happens! :lol:

Kaptain K
2003-Aug-13, 10:29 AM
What say we all pick one person who has not posted a single post, and each one of us send him a PM, just to see what happens! :lol:
Let's don't! [-X It's none of our business. :evil:

trillian73
2003-Aug-13, 12:05 PM
I don't have many posts because I still don't know that much about astronomy. I registered about 4 months after I started lurking in case I had any questions that I knew you guys could answer! :D

SeanF
2003-Aug-13, 01:58 PM
I don't have many posts because I still don't know that much about astronomy. I registered about 4 months after I started lurking in case I had any questions that I knew you guys could answer! :D

In which case, the fact that you haven't been asking a lot of questions of us indicates . . . what? ;)

trillian73
2003-Aug-13, 03:27 PM
Well, my boyfriend knows alot, so I ask him most of the time, and right now I'm reading the BA's book, which he made very easy to understand and fun to read.
I know I havn't asked any questions yet, but I'm still learning. Like I said I knew nothing about astronomy before I found this website and BB.

I like lurking here because this is the only message board I've found on the web where people don't sling insults back and forth at eachother, and they actually have intelligent conversations. :D

Square Peg
2003-Aug-14, 05:00 AM
I'm just very shy.

Roy Batty
2003-Aug-14, 02:39 PM
I lurked a while on the old board, but then, the level of activity was a lot less back then :)

Mainframes
2003-Aug-14, 03:15 PM
I too lurked for a good month before plucking up the courage to say something. And looked where it's landed me now! :)

Mainframes
2003-Aug-14, 03:17 PM
I like lurking here because this is the only message board I've found on the web where people don't sling insults back and forth at eachother, and they actually have intelligent conversations. :D

We have intelligent conversations....? :wink:

Tensor
2003-Aug-14, 03:45 PM

We have intelligent conversations....? :wink:

Well, to an new person coming here it probably looks that way (Unless they get into a thread with Humphrey, Colt, Musashi (in babble mode) , and TSC) :wink: . Those that have been here for a while know better of course.

I registered because I knew I would eventually post, but spent quite a bit of time lurking before my first post.

Pi Man
2003-Aug-14, 04:08 PM
I'm just very shy.

That's one of the main points of talking to people online. You don't have to be shy. :D

Musashi
2003-Aug-14, 05:50 PM
Musashi (in babble mode)

I have tried to deactivate that mode :) Thank you for realizing that I'm not all babble too! :)

DTdNav
2003-Aug-14, 06:44 PM
I think I registered sometime last year and still have fewer than 20 posts. Three reasons.
1. I simply don't have time to browse, post, and keep up with the numerous conversations going on. (Military job + wife + 3 kids = dazed and confused)
2. At times the BABB community, as intelligent and friendly as it mostly is, can have its own exclusivity surrounding the regular players. It sometimes feels like there is a separate private conversation going on that is hard to break into. I lose interest pretty quick if I don't feel like I can contribute.
3. The embarrassment factor. :oops: 3a: I'm pretty ignorant about some of this stuff and just feel more comfortable reading and learning. 3b: I don't have a clue how to back up what I say with hot-links and surely don't have time to go looking for it. 3c: It takes me too long to post because I'm afraid of spelling and grammar errors.

Boy, do I have issues or what! :-?

jstoney74
2003-Aug-14, 10:06 PM
When I find a forum that has useful information and is entertaining, I register. That way if I want to ask questions, vote in polls, or participate, I have the option. I have found that digging through pages and pages of useless posts on other boards can be tiresome, so I don't post unless I'm sure it is necessary and or relevant. My school and work are taking up all of my time presently, so my aspirations of getting into amatuer astronomy are on hold until X-mas :( and keeping me quiet.

Other than that, I don't feel the need to repeat what has already been said, I often opt not to reply.

I am THE Designated Lurker on www.maxima.org and have posted more on www.sosmath.com in one month (beacuse I was desperate for help in Calc II this summer) than I have in 2 years on maxima.org

Unfortuately, now that I've had to break my silence, I will have flood this board with a post at least once a year :-#

I guess to sum it up, I firmly believe 'you can learn more by listening' and I try and absorb as much information as I can.

jstoney74
2003-Aug-14, 10:09 PM
I think I registered sometime last year and still have fewer than 20 posts. Three reasons.
1. I simply don't have time to browse, post, and keep up with the numerous conversations going on. (Military job + wife + 3 kids = dazed and confused)
2. At times the BABB community, as intelligent and friendly as it mostly is, can have its own exclusivity surrounding the regular players. It sometimes feels like there is a separate private conversation going on that is hard to break into. I lose interest pretty quick if I don't feel like I can contribute.
3. The embarrassment factor. :oops: 3a: I'm pretty ignorant about some of this stuff and just feel more comfortable reading and learning. 3b: I don't have a clue how to back up what I say with hot-links and surely don't have time to go looking for it. 3c: It takes me too long to post because I'm afraid of spelling and grammar errors.

Boy, do I have issues or what! :-?

See, someone lese always says it better...
Scratch my last post and put me down for this with 2 kids :D

girlgeek
2003-Aug-14, 10:27 PM
Unfortuately, now that I've had to break my silence, I will have flood this board with a post at least once a year :-#

:P Hey JStoney, quit flooding the board! That's two in one day! :P :lol:

And welcome to the board! I lurked for some months before I even registered.

girlgeek

mutant
2003-Aug-14, 10:57 PM
I was registered here long before I started posting. After reading some of the posts I discovered that there are a lot of people in here that are about 50 times more knowledgeable about things than I am and I was afraid of making an idiot of myself.
After a while I discovered that everyone will find out I am an idiot sooner or later so I decided to jump in and give it a shot. So far no one has tried to have me committed yet so I guess I am ok so far.

Pinemarten
2003-Aug-15, 02:13 AM
I lurked until the BABB taught me how to read.
Thank you all.
Now if I could get the typing part....

freddo
2003-Aug-15, 05:06 AM
I lurked until the BABB taught me how to read.
Thank you all.
Now if I could get the typing part....

Sorry Pinemarten I couldn't understand what you typed... :lol:

Mainframes
2003-Aug-15, 09:37 AM
Musashi (in babble mode)

I have tried to deactivate that mode :)

I think I may have a patch that can help you!!

Colt
2003-Aug-15, 11:44 AM
I don't think I babble that much. :-? -Colt

dgruss23
2003-Aug-15, 12:15 PM
DTdNav wrote: 2. At times the BABB community, as intelligent and friendly as it mostly is, can have its own exclusivity surrounding the regular players. It sometimes feels like there is a separate private conversation going on that is hard to break into. I lose interest pretty quick if I don't feel like I can contribute.

Yikes! I hope we're not losing contributors because of that. But I know what you're saying. I actually waited about a month after signing up before I started posting. It probably takes that long to get used to the rapid fire responses and debating that goes on here.

Maybe this BABBling forum will help bring people into the other forums.

Kizarvexis
2003-Sep-02, 12:05 AM
I have often wondered about this. Why bother to register if you're not going to post anything? I'd say the majority of the registrants here have either a few or zero posts. Why do they do it?

BTW, I found the memberlist today (wow, right in the middle of the top of the screen all this time :)) and there are currently 51 pages of BABB members. A little over 12 pages of the members have 0 posts and another 23 pages have 1-10 posts. There are a little over 10 pages of members with 11-100 posts, about 4 pages with 101-999 posts and less than a page of those with more than 1000 posts.

A SWAG at the number of posts from the members with 100 or less posts would be around 25,000-30,000. That leaves the other ~100,000+ posts coming from less than 300 members! :o :o

Kizarvexis
Anyone want to check the math? :)

Dickenmeyer
2003-Sep-02, 12:23 AM
I visited the BA website several times over a couple of months before I visited the BABB for the first time. I lurked for a couple of weeks (knowing I didn't have to register) but couldn't long contain my urge to make some stupid reply to something. I am a registered member of three Yahoo groups and a couple of other bulletin boards but I rarely post to any of them. As has been mentioned before this board has a higher level of discourse and a much lower level of hostility than most boards on the web so I spend most of my limited browsing and posting time here. We should all thank Phil for the high standards he ruthlessly maintains to keep the BABB a pleasant experience for everyone.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Sep-02, 01:36 AM
Three cheers for the BA 8) !

Hip hip, hooray!

Hip hip, hooray!

Hip hip, hooray!

=D> =D> =D>

rrstarmom
2003-Sep-05, 04:11 PM
I haven't posted because I haven't had anything to add and have just been reading to see what's going on here. I'm off to work and will check in next week if anyone wants to welcome a newbie. Starmom

nitefallz
2003-Sep-05, 05:01 PM
I registered to read and post over a year ago, but honestly I rarely post because I think I'm not educated enough.(I'm just dumb compared to everyone else here)

:)

gethen
2003-Sep-05, 05:19 PM
I haven't posted because I haven't had anything to add and have just been reading to see what's going on here. I'm off to work and will check in next week if anyone wants to welcome a newbie. Starmom

Where are our manners? Welcome starmom. You'll like it here. We do have some real smart posters, but there are lots of others, like myself, who just enjoy the company and the discussions.

frenat
2003-Sep-05, 05:49 PM
I think one large reason for registering but never posting may have been overlooked. Once you register you can then subscribe to threads and get emails when they are updated. Lurking with benefits.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Sep-05, 08:08 PM
I registered to read and post over a year ago, but honestly I rarely post because I think I'm not educated enough.(I'm just dumb compared to everyone else here)

Dumb compared to everyone else? That's just nuts! Have you read the stuff that I write? I'm not going to win a Nobel any time soon... sure, there are some very intelligent people here, but even if you aren't one (like me) you can still contribute to discussions and to the overall feel of the board.

BTW, rrstarmom, welcome! I rarely have anything to add, but it hasn't stopped me! :wink: Just keep posting, and you'll find a place here, I'm sure. That goes for you too, nitefallz.

mike alexander
2003-Sep-05, 11:11 PM
May I third The Supreme in welcoming nitefallz and rrstarmom?

I haven't been here all that long myself, and most of my contributions seem to fall in the realm of old jokes and bad word play. Eh.

Please don't call yourself dumb, Nite. Maybe ignorant (in the sense of not knowing yet). Toss up some questions and the smart people will answer them. I've had a lot of mine answered. Even understood some of them.

decarmony
2003-Sep-06, 03:20 AM
I don"t know about other limited posters but heres my story.I had heard of Px from a few people and eager to learn,I bought blindsighted( I wish I would have read Sitchen or Lilo and Stitch or anything else instead.) Anyway,my mind was warped and needed some B A instead of B S. I watched and read the Px board from Feb. and joined in may or june when I felt I knew enough to understand some questions I wanted to ask.But most the time the questions were answered before I asked.

Pi Man
2003-Sep-06, 03:54 AM
Hey, decarmony, did you see that I sent you a PM?

Also, I've never heard anything about PX except here.

Pinemarten
2003-Sep-06, 09:38 AM

I think many people have had an instructor use the famous cliché: "The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked."

Someone asked why the grass is green recently; as well as why the sky is blue. I am still trying to understand some of the answers.
The chicken/egg thing is another story.

I will also welcome you to the board, and second TSC's statement about his posts.

The Supreme Canuck
2003-Sep-06, 05:07 PM
Hey, was that a shot? :P

Ah well, I know it's true. It just goes to show that if you can contrubute anything at all, you are welcome here.

nitefallz
2003-Sep-07, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, I feel that much better now! :D

semi-sentient
2003-Sep-07, 08:58 PM
Personally, I don't post much because I'm still in a state of learning when it comes to Astronomy/Cosmology. I'll only post if I feel I can make a contribution or if I have a question. More times than not, my questions are answered by reading through the entire thread. Until I actually get more into Physics, which I can't do until I finish off my CS degree, my post count will probably remain low. That being said, thank you for giving me the opportunity to add "1" to my post count. :P

Pinemarten
2003-Sep-07, 10:54 PM
I see you are coming up to 'one year on the BABB'. Do you think you will make the fewest posts per day; or the most wisdom/least fluff per post record? :wink:

ljbrs
2003-Sep-08, 12:45 AM
In general, the writers here are very knowledgeable. Some of us might not have the time both to read AND to write because of hectic schedules. However, the level of knowledge on various topics on BABB is greater than on most bulletin board forums. It might be intimidating for some people to write when they are confronted with so many interesting, knowledgeable, and well-written posts.

Personally, I enjoy reading about the ideas of others more than I like writing about my own thoughts.

ljbrs =D>

orion11349
2003-Sep-08, 02:37 AM
my reason for not posting more often is simple. I enjoy the discourse here and the friendly attitude. I do not have much to add in terms of astronomy but I have a lot of fun reading about planet X.

Paul Koeck
2003-Sep-09, 05:55 PM
I don't really have a lot to say. I mostly just like reading and learning from the regulars here. The pool of expert knowledge available on this forum is nothing short of stunning.

I've also found, that by the time I can come up with a question, someone else has asked it and gotten an answer, or it's been anticipated. =D>

Betenoire
2003-Sep-09, 06:13 PM
My write-in vote:

There's a lot of stuff to read through in most of these. Not everybody has time (I've only just had time lately, mostly because I'm at work).

ignorant_ape
2003-Sep-11, 12:35 PM
my " excuse " is :

by the time i have composed a semi coherent response some one else has said what i was thinking far more elequently , so why bother wasting BA`s bandwidth - just kick back and learn from the folks who know

YRS - APE

DAMM - i can spell eloquent - i really can :-))