PDA

View Full Version : would our eyes hurt if it were cloudy out?

Chunky
2008-Jan-15, 11:03 PM
so i was sittin outside looking at the clouds or trying to atleast when i found it really hard to look up. like the sun were right there with no clouds between us. there were clouds though. thick ones that blotted out the sun sidpite a dim remenance but the amount of sun that did shine through wouldnt have been enough to make me squint my eyes and make them water?

i staired for minutes...trying to open my eyes but i just couldnt.

so i was wondering... can clouds blot out the sun but the sun still hurt your eyes? haha sounds funny now that i think of the question. any comments?

Gillianren
2008-Jan-16, 12:27 AM
Yes. Stop posting altered.

Chunky
2008-Jan-17, 02:08 AM

liable!

Van Rijn
2008-Jan-17, 02:14 AM
so i was wondering... can clouds blot out the sun but the sun still hurt your eyes?

Responding to this question: Yes, UV and infrared can still come through the clouds and damage your eyes. Never look at the sun, or stare at the sky where you think the sun might be.

Maksutov
2008-Jan-17, 10:05 AM
so i was sittin outside looking at the clouds or trying to atleast when i found it really hard to look up. like the sun were right there with no clouds between us. there were clouds though. thick ones that blotted out the sun sidpite a dim remenance but the amount of sun that did shine through wouldnt have been enough to make me squint my eyes and make them water?

i staired for minutes...trying to open my eyes but i just couldnt.

so i was wondering... can clouds blot out the sun but the sun still hurt your eyes? haha sounds funny now that i think of the question. any comments?You posed for your avatar after engaging in this activity, right? http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif

DyerWolf
2008-Jan-17, 02:03 PM

?

What does "posting altered" mean?

HenrikOlsen
2008-Jan-17, 03:12 PM
in this case, under the influence of mind-altering drugs.

George
2008-Jan-17, 03:13 PM
You should never look at the Sun during daytime, even through clouds. Damage done to the retina is not repairable. Some hospitals have gotten many patients just after an eclipse.

I think it might be ok to stare at the Sun when it appears mostly orange or red at the horizion. [A very clear sky may cause the Sun to appear only yellow, which may be too bright for the naked eye.] During sunsets, sunlight travels through over 35 times the amount of atmosphere that is directly above us. This scatters away most of Sun's UV emission, though the ozone layer offers much more protection too at 35x (AM35, meaning Air Mass 35x a vertical column amount).

But before anyone does this, I am curious if others think this "view" is as safe as I suggest?

Ilya
2008-Jan-17, 05:02 PM
Responding to this question: Yes, UV and infrared can still come through the clouds and damage your eyes. Never look at the sun, or stare at the sky where you think the sun might be.

Worse, while UV passes easily through clouds, it reflects off water. As a result, people often get bad sunburns when boating on a cloudy day. Because it is cloudy and not hot, they neglect to put on sunscreen -- without realizing that not only the Sun is burning them as much as ever, but they are also floating atop a giant UV mirror.

WaxRubiks
2008-Jan-17, 06:18 PM
I don't personally think the OP was posting altered.

he did make a few spelling mistakes though, which is unforgivable .;)

Gillianren
2008-Jan-17, 08:18 PM
I don't personally think the OP was posting altered.

he did make a few spelling mistakes though, which is unforgivable .;)

The OP has a history of posting altered.

sarongsong
2008-Jan-17, 09:47 PM
:doh:
...If you feel a post breaks one of these rules, please report it...Do not talk about bad posts or anything else you consider to be inappropriate user behavior in the forum itself...If you have concerns, please PM a moderator or administrator...
Rules For Posting To This Board (http://www.bautforum.com/about-baut/32864-rules-posting-board.html#post564845)

ToSeek
2008-Jan-17, 10:06 PM
I was up at an overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway once, surrounded by a blinding white fog, as if it ended just above my head and the Sun was shining brightly down to that point. It was definitely painful.

Moose
2008-Jan-17, 10:22 PM
Sarongsong, he's not breaking rules by posting high, he's just not making any sense when he does. If he'd at least share once in a while... (strictly ;) )

WaxRubiks
2008-Jan-18, 08:31 AM
so, is johnathan not allowed to post any more, because he's posted altered, a few times?

I think the opening post in this thread, is fairly clear.

Maksutov
2008-Jan-18, 08:45 AM
so, is johnathan not allowed to post any more, because he's posted altered, a few times?

I think the opening post in this thread, is fairly clear.No, it was cloudy.

WaxRubiks
2008-Jan-18, 08:53 AM
but his state of mind was Un-Verified.

sarongsong
2008-Jan-18, 09:47 AM
...I think the opening post in this thread, is fairly clear....while answering his own question: :)
...i staired for minutes...trying to open my eyes but i just couldnt...

geonuc
2008-Jan-18, 10:26 AM
These threads do get interesting around here ...

Anyway, clouds do shield uV radiation. However, in terms of human exposure, there are other factors to consider as well, such as the tendency to scatter the radiation that does get through.

George
2008-Jan-18, 02:29 PM
I sneeze almost everytime I walk out into bright sunlight. Just thought I would broaden the scope of the effects from a bright, white star.

Chunky
2008-Jan-18, 06:01 PM
You posed for your avatar after engaging in this activity, right? http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif

that was me as a kid on halloween. i think i was a dead thug. i had a cigar too but my mom wouldnt let me put it in my mouth :(

Chunky
2008-Jan-18, 06:09 PM
who gives a rats-A if i post high or not? im not telling you im high and letting the "little" children that log on from theirs school see me as a high fool.
not until You say "Oh yeah hes high".

dont my questions and scenario's make you think?

isnt that all that matter?

looking at something a different way is the key to alot of new discoverys.....it may strike a cord with one of you some day...and i would have been apart of it.

am i high?

WaxRubiks
2008-Jan-18, 06:18 PM
who gives a rats-A if i post high or not? im not telling you im high and letting the "little" children that log on from theirs school see me as a high fool.
not until You say "Oh yeah hes high".

dont my questions and scenario's make you think?

isnt that all that matter?

looking at something a different way is the key to alot of new discoverys.....it may strike a cord with one of you some day...and i would have been apart of it.

am i high?

well, you didn't make any spelling mistakes.

I dun chex itz wi my speeel chequer. :thumbs up:

TrAI
2008-Jan-18, 09:13 PM
Hmmm... One often hear that one should not look at the sun, since it may cause damage to your retinas, but never about how to act with the sun in the periferal vision. I would think getting part of you periperal vision fried would be rather unpractical, especially for those who depend on their nightvision a lot...

George
2008-Jan-18, 09:28 PM
I would think a peripheral view also has potential of doing damage. However, I would expect some pain sensation to alert the person. Also, if the eye is moving about, not fixed on a given spot, then it shouldn't be a problem. We would all know by now if this weren't true.

Peripheral vision also will diffuse the light some due to lens imperfections. I see nothing clearly in my peripheral vision. This will minimize the effects of a concentrated light source.

Chunky
2008-Jan-18, 09:30 PM
I would think a peripheral view also has potential of doing damage. However, I would expect some pain sensation to alert the person. Also, if the eye is moving about, not fixed on a given spot, then it shouldn't be a problem. We would all know by now if this weren't true.

Peripheral vision also will diffuse the light some due to lens imperfections. I see nothing clearly in my peripheral vision. This will minimize the effects of a concentrated light source.

dont our eye lashes or eye brows shade us from the sun a lil?

George
2008-Jan-18, 10:25 PM
Yes, good point.

WaxRubiks
2008-Jan-18, 10:33 PM
perhaps the peripheral part of the retina has more blood vessels, due to the lower density of light detecting cones(or what ever), that can take heat energy away.

George
2008-Jan-18, 11:53 PM
Perhaps. It is at least away from the fovea region, centrally located, where our best acuity exists.