PDA

View Full Version : Saturn from the 11th

iceman
2008-Jan-16, 09:34 PM
Only just got around to processing these images taken on the morning of the 11th January.

The seeing was reasonable, about 6.5/10 and the temperatures fairly stable.

I captured the red and green channels at 15fps (1/15s exposure) until I had 4000 frames (a bit over 4 minutes), and the blue channel at 7.5fps (1/8s exposure) until I had 2000 frames (same length of time recording).
I used a gamma of about 140ish (100 is default) to get more in the histogram and to capture the crepe ring.

I used approx 500 frames in each of 3 alignment points when stacking.
The second attachment is one taken a few minutes earlier, in LRGB. The Luminance channel was captured at 30fps for 4000 frames.

I'm quite happy with the result, but it was processed on the train this morning on the laptop, and when looking at it on the LCD screen here (side-by-side with laptop), it has a completely different colour. So I need to calibrate the two screens to look consistent, at least.

Anyway, not sure how it'll look on yours - good I hope. :)

Thanks for looking.

andyschlei
2008-Jan-16, 10:39 PM
Mike,

Beautiful shots as usual. The color in altitude 44 image is a little strange, with a purple cast to the rings on my monitor here at work. The other one's color is better. The contrast in the planetary clouds is excellent.

I created a really awful image once by trusting the color balance on my old laptop. I invested in a Spyder and keep both laptop and desktop fully color calibarated. It makes a big difference.

Clear skies,

--Andy

winensky
2008-Jan-16, 11:05 PM
Once again, beautiful work.

Kind regards
Matt

JAICOA
2008-Jan-17, 02:59 AM
Very Beautiful images of the ring planet Mike, Both are really nice each has something pleasing about them. your off to a great start as exspected. Clear skies

Kyle Edwards
2008-Jan-17, 04:41 AM
Great images, and I know what you mean about the color differences between monitors, I usually have the same problem processing, especially with Mars.

awyong
2008-Jan-17, 05:40 PM
Nice short! I took few image of saturn too but have not processed yet.

Aw Yong.

OmahaWx
2008-Jan-21, 03:47 AM
Beautiful Work!

EndeavorRX7
2008-Jan-21, 05:38 AM
Very nice shots! All planets are nice to look at, but Saturn tops the list in my opinion.

mahesh
2008-Jan-21, 06:53 PM
Mike, beautiful shots / composition as always.

you guys are wicked! and we BAUTers are all the richer for all of your great contributions.

thanks for sharing

stargazer_7000
2008-Jan-23, 10:58 PM
...there Ya go, Mike!
the version to the right is excllent!
very natural and great color, yet revealing lots of detail!