PDA

View Full Version : Cloverfield ***NO SPOILER***

MG1962A
2008-Jan-17, 07:51 AM
Okay - just finished watching it ***NO SPOILERS***

Blair witch meets Godzilla is a good generic description.

If you love a good monster film - you will adore this

If you like unconventional plot and narrative you will adore this.

If you can sit and enjoy a good Godzilla film and suspend your belief, you will enjoy this. There are momments where the lack of science makes you sit up. but please, let it pass and you will enjoy

The only thing I will tell you - the main characters of the film play no part in events - they are carried along and swept up with the tide of the film.

I will give a free vegemite sandwich to anyone who can tell me what film creature seems to be the basic inspiration for this one

Anyone want more details or info - feel free to PM me.

And finally - On Monster Island, Godzilla would totally own this creature.

Matherly
2008-Jan-17, 04:15 PM
I will give a free vegemite sandwich to anyone who can tell me what film creature seems to be the basic inspiration for this one

Wow! You really must want to discourage people from telling you! :dance:

Carl "Ugly American with No Sense of Cullinary Adventure" Matherly :D

peter eldergill
2008-Jan-17, 05:22 PM
<shudder>...vegemite...crazy aussies...what were you thinking? :shifty:

When I brew beer, I dispose of the sludge at the bottom of the bucket, not package and sell it! Perhaps I should...(:shifty:

Pete

MG1962A
2008-Jan-17, 06:59 PM
Wow! You really must want to discourage people from telling you! :dance:

Carl "Ugly American with No Sense of Cullinary Adventure" Matherly :D

Comming from the people who put tabasco sauce on their eggs for breakfast - thats the pot calling the kettle black :whistle: :lol:

Fazor
2008-Jan-17, 07:02 PM
Comming from the people who put tabasco sauce on their eggs for breakfast - thats the pot calling the kettle black
Hey now, we don't all do that! ...I do, occasionally...but that's not the point. :) *I* put tobasco on just about anything. Chilie peppers make everything better.

KaiYeves
2008-Jan-17, 11:25 PM
I'm just going to say that I don't like vegemite.
It doesn't even keep away drop bears.

Doodler
2008-Jan-18, 12:41 AM
Okay - just finished watching it ***NO SPOILERS***

Blair witch meets Godzilla is a good generic description.

If you love a good monster film - you will adore this

If you like unconventional plot and narrative you will adore this.

If you can sit and enjoy a good Godzilla film and suspend your belief, you will enjoy this. There are momments where the lack of science makes you sit up. but please, let it pass and you will enjoy

The only thing I will tell you - the main characters of the film play no part in events - they are carried along and swept up with the tide of the film.

Anyone want more details or info - feel free to PM me.

And finally - On Monster Island, Godzilla would totally own this creature.

The Blob.

Van Rijn
2008-Jan-18, 01:29 AM
Comming from the people who put tabasco sauce on their eggs for breakfast - thats the pot calling the kettle black :whistle: :lol:

I don't do that, though I do make a nice spanish omelette variation with eggs, mashed potato, cheddar cheese, onion, a little chicken or pork, and two or three teaspoons of taco sauce (whatever brand I have at the time). Tastes great (though probably a little high on cholesterol).

Noclevername
2008-Jan-18, 04:00 AM
Vege might not.

(Is that what the monster in the film is made of?)

Larry Jacks
2008-Jan-18, 03:20 PM
There are advantages (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDa6pAIatUI) to eating a lot of Tobasco.

Link is to a YouTube video of a Tobasco commercial.

Dave Mitsky
2008-Jan-18, 09:21 PM
Using ketchup (catsup) on eggs is common in my area. Perhaps we should get back on topic now.

With 100 reviews currently tabulated, Cloverfield has a 79% rating on the Tomatometer.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cloverfield/

Dave Mitsky

Chip
2008-Jan-19, 03:02 AM
Pancakes with maple syrup are sweet. Scrambled eggs tend to be salty. Once long ago, someone had a bit of both on the same plate and accidentally got maple syrup on the eggs, and - unbelievably, it was quite good. Sometimes, this is how great advances in science (and the culinary arts,) are made.

And - Cloverfield, yes - umm, might be a pretty good monster flick. I'll go see it.

bushi816
2008-Jan-19, 07:09 AM
The Trailer made me kinda curious, but then i looked up a fan site which layed out this whole elaborate thing about it being tied to a Bloop(actual sound recorded in the ocean years ago perhaps attributed to a large animal of some sort), and some kinda Japanese softdrink website.

Very strange and now I'm even more curious to see how they all fit in

sarongsong
2008-Jan-19, 04:02 PM
Pretty whimpy title for a MONSTER movie...sounds more like a bovine retirement home! http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Abbadon_2008
2008-Jan-19, 05:16 PM
...which layed out this whole elaborate thing about it being tied to a Bloop(actual sound recorded in the ocean years ago perhaps attributed to a large animal of some sort), and some kinda Japanese softdrink website.

The sound attributed to the Bloop was probably the hiss of escaping gas from the ocean bottom, maybe from volcanoes or avalanches or something of that nature.

Though I'd LOVE to hear about a real undiscovered creature of such immense size, it's looking increasingly unlikely it exists.:mad:

I'm a complete geek for cryptozoology and unexplained mysteries. Glad to see I'm not alone in my nerdish realm.:lol:

KaiYeves
2008-Jan-19, 07:29 PM
Okay, somebody on the BA's blog hinted at a secret message revealed on the Wiki page, but some jerk must have removed it.
I don't even care about the movie, and I didn't see it, but...
I LOVE SECRET MESSAGES!
Anyone have any information?

The Trailer made me kinda curious, but then i looked up a fan site which layed out this whole elaborate thing about it being tied to a Bloop(actual sound recorded in the ocean years ago perhaps attributed to a large animal of some sort)
Shades of the Transformers Beagle 2 trailer!

NEOWatcher
2008-Jan-23, 02:24 PM
My concern has been confirmed.

I have had no interest in this movie because it looked like one of those bad camera work for the effect would make me sick.

So; if you're interested, take your Dramamine (http://www.koco.com/news/15112533/detail.html).

Some moviegoers across Oklahoma City have gone so far to complain to theater managers, forcing some to refund tickets or offer other compensation.

One of those hard hitting reporters doing intensive research...

According to wikipedia.com,

Doodler
2008-Jan-23, 03:34 PM
Wonder why its only in Oklahoma?

NEOWatcher
2008-Jan-23, 04:20 PM
Wonder why its only in Oklahoma?
Because they were the first affiliate to make it a story? :think:

3rdvogon
2008-Jan-23, 04:27 PM
Hey!

Don't Tell me that it was the Curry Monster from Red Dwarf

The crew lock on to an unidentified craft containing the ultimate genetic engineering technology - a machine that can transform any living thing into any other living thing, by re-writing its DNA. A blessing or a curse? Then Lister's curry finds its way into the transmogrifier and assumes near-human form.

Lister gets caught in the transmogrifier's beam and is transformed into...a chicken. Oh, and then a hamster.

Kryten becomes disappointed with his new body - the nipples don't work, there's no zoom function, and there have been occurrences in his underpants so bizarre that he's been taking photographs to show Lister.

Lister realises what it will take to destroy the curry monster: "Of course! Lager! The only thing that can kill a vindaloo!"

Noclevername
2008-Jan-24, 12:48 AM
Lister realises what it will take to destroy the curry monster: "Of course! Lager! The only thing that can kill a vindaloo!"

The only thing that can succeed where a ten-centimeter tall cyborg fails. :lol:

Lord Jubjub
2008-Jan-25, 01:10 AM
The special effects were generally good enough that it really didn't occur to me that I was seeing special effects. I did think that the cameraman didn't really need to keep pointing the camera at whoever happened to be speaking.

hhEb09'1
2008-Jan-25, 02:02 AM
When I brew beer, I dispose of the sludge at the bottom of the bucket, not package and sell it! Perhaps I should...(:shifty:
Yummm...brewer's yeast (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewer's_yeast)

but is it anything like nutella?

geonuc
2008-Jan-27, 12:30 PM
...I have had no interest in this movie because it looked like one of those bad camera work for the effect would make me sick. ...

The camera work made my wife a bit ill and I don't really like the style myself. But the movie was still enjoyable.

The special effects were generally good enough that it really didn't occur to me that I was seeing special effects. I did think that the cameraman didn't really need to keep pointing the camera at whoever happened to be speaking. But that was the premise for having the video camera to begin with - he was 'documenting' what people say.

Lianachan
2008-Jan-27, 08:32 PM
Pancakes with maple syrup are sweet. Scrambled eggs tend to be salty. Once long ago, someone had a bit of both on the same plate and accidentally got maple syrup on the eggs, and - unbelievably, it was quite good. Sometimes, this is how great advances in science (and the culinary arts,) are made.

And - Cloverfield, yes - umm, might be a pretty good monster flick. I'll go see it.

Desperation caused me to discover that Danish Blue cheese on a chocolate digestive biscuit is gorgeous!

BigDon
2008-Jan-27, 09:28 PM
I was in this mining town in Western Australia, Calgoorie I believe the name was. Interesting place. The tap water was so alkaline and brackish that if it was your only source of liquid your kidneys would fail in a year. At night spiders the size of mice would rove the fields around town in numbers of about 12 per square meter, but over a wide distance. They sounded like the wind blowing through the grass. Until you realize there wasn't any wind.

Then you see that silver eyeshine and it looks like a field of broken glass reflecting back at you. Quite memorable. If you stamped your foot all the ones within about thirty feet would orientate in your direction and look at you. Okay, that was "vaguely disturbing" even for me. During the day there were hordes of creatures that only resembled houseflys. These were quite "feral" and didn't know they are supposed to try to dodge when you swatted one on your face. Ewwww? You learned to shoo them off your face, (and kill them in droves elsewhere.) You also knew who was only recently off the boat by all the red stains on his face. Also, it was proven scientifically that, due to convection, Hell was actually three degrees cooler.

But the women! Oh....My....Lord. Bright Sun, linen skirts, and not a slip in sight. AND I had never really been to a place with such a skewed ratio of women to men. And the local guys treated them like crap! Me and my squadron mates just didn't get it. (The idea of being rude to the women, that is) Its not like they were mean or unkept. Good lord, I'd been to places where the women were as scary as the men and this weren't like that. They were quite sweet.

A very nice Irish women, who has since passed, who was married to a british mining guy, invited us all (12!)to their rather spacious house for several days. She was horrified at the hotel rates we were paying staying in Perth.

I think it was the morning of the second day there she gave me a vegimite sandwich.

I light a candle to the memory of that kookaburra every St. Swivvens Day.

It was in a fruit tree about twenty feet away ant let loose with its classic braying call, and when everybody was looking at it and ooh and awwing I stuffed the rest of the sandwich in my back pocket.

When she looked back at me I was still chewing the first mouthful pretending it was the last mouthful. I declined a second sandwich.

Nobody's feelings suffered during the making of this story.

BD

korjik
2008-Jan-27, 09:39 PM
I was in this mining town in Western Australia, Calgoorie I believe the name was. Interesting place. The tap water was so alkaline and brackish that if it was your only source of liquid your kidneys would fail in a year. At night spiders the size of mice would rove the fields around town in numbers of about 12 per square meter, but over a wide distance. They sounded like the wind blowing through the grass. Until you realize there wasn't any wind.

Then you see that silver eyeshine and it looks like a field of broken glass reflecting back at you. Quite memorable. If you stamped your foot all the ones within about thirty feet would orientate in your direction and look at you. Okay, that was "vaguely disturbing" even for me. During the day there were hordes of creatures that only resembled houseflys. These were quite "feral" and didn't know they are supposed to try to dodge when you swatted one on your face. Ewwww? You learned to shoo them off your face, (and kill them in droves elsewhere.) You also knew who was only recently off the boat by all the red stains on his face. Also, it was proven scientifically that, due to convection, Hell was actually three degrees cooler.

But the women! Oh....My....Lord. Bright Sun, linen skirts, and not a slip in sight. AND I had never really been to a place with such a skewed ratio of women to men. And the local guys treated them like crap! Me and my squadron mates just didn't get it. (The idea of being rude to the women, that is) Its not like they were mean or unkept. Good lord, I'd been to places where the women were as scary as the men and this weren't like that. They were quite sweet.

A very nice Irish women, who has since passed, who was married to a british mining guy, invited us all (12!)to their rather spacious house for several days. She was horrified at the hotel rates we were paying staying in Perth.

I think it was the morning of the second day there she gave me a vegimite sandwich.

I light a candle to the memory of that kookaburra every St. Swivvens Day.

It was in a fruit tree about twenty feet away ant let loose with its classic braying call, and when everybody was looking at it and ooh and awwing I stuffed the rest of the sandwich in my back pocket.

When she looked back at me I was still chewing the first mouthful pretending it was the last mouthful. I declined a second sandwich.

Nobody's feelings suffered during the making of this story.

BD

BigDon, you have the coolest stories. :)

djellison
2008-Feb-18, 10:54 PM
Just watched this 'movie'.

It was pure, unadulterated arse gravy of the sloppiest kind from start to finish. Sorry. The acting was dreadful, the dialogue hideously predictable, the direction was self indulgent and the plot line obvious after the first 30 seconds with what is on screen with the opening credits. The hand-held camera was a gimmick, and a nausea inducing one at that ( I had to look away for a minute or so, on several occasions, to subdue the genuine nausea I was feeling ). This brat's got an amazing HD camera that can survive a virtual apocalypse...and it doesn't have image stabilization?

It was too bad to be any good, and it wasn't set up to be tongue-in-cheek like an episode of Dr Who.

On the upside - it was quite short.

Doug

Noclevername
2008-Feb-19, 02:07 AM
I just looked up Cloverfield and saw the "monster" they used...

...You gotta be freakin' kidding me.
It looks like something Scooby-Doo should be ripping a rubber mask off of.

jrkeller
2008-Feb-19, 02:25 AM
Just watched this 'movie'.

It was pure, unadulterated arse gravy of the sloppiest kind from start to finish. Sorry. The acting was dreadful, the dialogue hideously predictable, the direction was self indulgent and the plot line obvious after the first 30 seconds with what is on screen with the opening credits. The hand-held camera was a gimmick, and a nausea inducing one at that ( I had to look away for a minute or so, on several occasions, to subdue the genuine nausea I was feeling ). This brat's got an amazing HD camera that can survive a virtual apocalypse...and it doesn't have image stabilization?

It was too bad to be any good, and it wasn't set up to be tongue-in-cheek like an episode of Dr Who.

On the upside - it was quite short.

Doug

Now that's a review I like and agree with 100%

Ara Pacis
2008-Feb-19, 03:16 AM
I read somewhere that the monster was a rip-off from some South Korean monster in a much better movie.

Noclevername
2008-Feb-20, 05:00 AM
The Korean movie was "The Host", and it was about a mutated fish the size of a dumptruck. From the few pics I've seen, there's no similarity whatsoever.

Abbadon_2008
2008-Jun-06, 02:36 AM
Just dialed it up on PPV. Not bad. The shaky camrea work can give you a headache, and the film can get extremely noisy at times. But it's a cool film.

I liked the parasite thingies that came off the monster. They looked like a cross between giant sea lice, and the soldier bugs from 'Starship Troopers'.

Wasn't digging the monster itself, though. Didn't look at all like a pelagic life form. More like a giant version of 'Xtro'.

CJSF
2008-Jun-10, 03:34 PM
Although I did get carried away with the movie at times, overall I have to say I was disappointed. The first part, at the party, was so LONG. I was yelling at my TV, "okay! set up is done, lets go!" and the like.

And I'm sorry, drunk or not, and "documenting" or not, just drop the f'ing camera and RUN DUDE! Seriously! It was just not credible.

CJSF

vonmazur
2008-Jun-10, 06:11 PM
Bad news, the monster has landed in Manhattan, good news, he eats yuppies and......

Dale

CJSF
2008-Jun-10, 08:10 PM
lolcloverfield (http://mine.icanhascheezburger.com/view.aspx?ciid=1318978)

CJSF

SpecialEd
2008-Jun-10, 09:49 PM
I wasn't too impressed with Cloverfield at first, mainly because the dude with the camera was so obnoxious he was driving me crazy. But then the next evening I watched "AVP:Requiem." At least in Cloverfield the military was dividing their time between fighting the big bad & evacuating the civilian population. While in AVP they lured the townspeople to the center of town & then nuked the town. Gimme a break-even the Nazis didn't bomb their own cities. The head suit in charge was even a dead-ringer for cigarette-smoking-man, just in case there'd be no mistaking how evil our govmint was. Made Cloverfield look pretty good.

vonmazur
2008-Jun-14, 08:22 PM
lolcloverfield (http://mine.icanhascheezburger.com/view.aspx?ciid=1318978)

CJSF

I knew that someone would eventually do it!

Dale