PDA

View Full Version : Are you smarter than a 5th grader?

Click Ticker
2008-Jan-18, 02:01 PM
A prime-time game show in the U.S.

Question:

What heavenly body contains 99% of the mass of our solar system?

Why - the universe, of course!

At least that's what Miss America thinks. She appeared on the celebrity edition.

Good thing one of the 5th graders knew the answer was the Milky Way.

Okay, her designated 5th grade helper knew it was the Sun. But wow. The universe? Really?

Click Ticker
2008-Jan-18, 02:16 PM
Great. Now I can't even fix my own thread title. Jokes on me.

Moose
2008-Jan-18, 02:47 PM
What heavenly body contains 99% of the mass of our solar system?

[...]

Good thing one of the 5th graders knew the answer was the Milky Way.

Both of these "heavenly bodies" do contain 99% of the mass in our solar system. They also contain the other 1% of our mass, and the masses of many upon many other solar systems.

Okay, her designated 5th grade helper knew it was the Sun. But wow. The universe? Really?

If your quote is accurate, sure.

NEOWatcher
2008-Jan-18, 05:49 PM
And I thought you were just being a Smark Alet.

And yes; What exactly is the definition of "Heavenly body". I doubt that its well defined.

Larry Jacks
2008-Jan-18, 07:39 PM
It's pretty hard to be smarker than a 5th grader. That's a pretty smarky age.

KaiYeves
2008-Jan-18, 08:35 PM
I bet I'm smarter than quite a few adults, but it's been a while since I was a 5th grader.

Gillianren
2008-Jan-18, 09:19 PM
Actually, that show's title bothers me, because that's not the question they're really asking. "Smarter," to me at least, means "has the capability of acquiring the most information." What they really means is, "Are you more knowledgeable than a fifth-grader?" (Either way, it really depends on the fifth-grader.)

Bearded One
2008-Jan-19, 01:43 AM
What really saddened me was when Jeff F. announced she was wrong it sounded like most of the audience groaned as if the majority didn't know the the right answer ( or at least that universe was definitely not right).

Overall she did a bit better than I expected though.

Chuck
2008-Jan-19, 02:20 AM
Didn't she also fail to know which continent is directly east of Europe? That's stranger than not knowing anything about astronomy. Geography is usually good at supplying visual aids.

Bearded One
2008-Jan-19, 03:00 AM
I believe she used a peek for the continent question. She thought it was Asia but wanted some reinforcement.

I can't criticize to much, I got the question about how many states border Lake Superior wrong. That wouldn't be so bad except that the state I missed was a state I lived in for 18 years :(

ToSeek
2008-Jan-19, 03:47 AM

SuperModerator to the rescue!
(Though people are going to wonder about some of the other posts on this thread now.)

sarongsong
2008-Jan-19, 04:14 AM
Maybe Miss America had (Miss) universe (http://www.missuniverse.com/history/index.html) on the brain. :)
...What they really means is...:) :)
...but if they called it "Are You Dumber Than a 5th-Grader?", it would imply that a 5th-grader was dumb to begin with, no?

EndeavorRX7
2008-Jan-19, 04:16 AM
I'll still do her.

Noclevername
2008-Jan-19, 08:43 PM
Luckily for her, the Miss America contest does not have a trivia section. If you look good in heels and don't have too many scandals, you're in.

KaiYeves
2008-Jan-20, 12:53 AM
Well, I know a lot of trivia, and I wouldn't make any scandals, but I don't look good in heels, so I guess I'll never be Miss America.

Moose
2008-Jan-20, 12:57 AM
Well, I know a lot of trivia, and I wouldn't make any scandals, but I don't look good in heels, so I guess I'll never be Miss America.

Considering your non-residence, you'd be better off going for Miss Universe, anyway.

KaiYeves
2008-Jan-20, 01:03 AM
Considering your non-residence, you'd be better off going for Miss Universe, anyway.
I'll tell that to my mom the next time she thinks I put myself down.

SkepticJ
2008-Jan-21, 06:57 AM
...I don't look good in heels...

No one does. And if they think they do, they're wrong!

Noclevername
2008-Jan-21, 11:47 PM

I totally disagree with that statement, and I'm not even a leg man.

Click Ticker
2008-Jan-22, 07:10 PM
What really saddened me was when Jeff F. announced she was wrong it sounded like most of the audience groaned as if the majority didn't know the the right answer ( or at least that universe was definitely not right).

Overall she did a bit better than I expected though.

Not only did they groan when they found out she got it wrong - they were cheering as if it was a great guess before the correct answer was revealed. Of course, I was thinking they are probably told not to react in such a way as to give the answer away.

Noclevername
2008-Jan-22, 07:54 PM
Not only did they groan when they found out she got it wrong - they were cheering as if it was a great guess before the correct answer was revealed. Of course, I was thinking they are probably told not to react in such a way as to give the answer away.

They turned on the "groan" sign after they shut off the "applause" sign.

Moose
2008-Jan-22, 11:06 PM

I beg your pardon, but I look damn good in heels.

Noclevername
2008-Jan-22, 11:30 PM
I beg your pardon, but I look damn good in heels.

:eek: Now I need to boil my brain. :sick:

sarongsong
2008-Jan-23, 03:55 AM
Men are like high heels---they're easy to walk on once you get the hang of it. http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif(Gag-card spotted while shopping.)

KaiYeves
2008-Jan-23, 09:09 PM
(Gag-card spotted while shopping.)
Oh, those gag-cards...
I found one that said "Happy birthday, bro! I'm glad you're my brother because..." (Open) "... you would have made a really ugly sister!"
I showed that to my brother as a joke and he tried to gut me.