PDA

View Full Version : Here's a new one

ktesibios
2003-Aug-13, 10:21 PM
Here's something I harvested from a bit of spam that popped up in my Hotmail inbox today:

http://www.4casts.com

It's not PX per se, but as an example of the "Eel! Eek! Planets whose influences on Earth would be barely detectable by our finest instruments are going to KILL US ALL!" genre I thought it would be of interest.

Also as an example of the commercial application of buzzwords like "planetary alignment" and "pole shift", along with the exploitation of popular ignorance of magnetism- I think these people are trying to sell horoscopes.

Enjoy! :lol:

Vermonter
2003-Aug-13, 10:47 PM
...Lovely. 8-[ And how many times were these "alignments" supposed to destroy us all?

ObiWan377
2003-Aug-13, 11:53 PM
I'm no expert, but I smell bunk. I have 2 reasons why.....

1. The site offers hardly any proof but a diagram of where the planets are now.

2. We've had planetary alignments before. Nothin happened. Why would Mars being close to Earth make any difference?

I think i'm wrong, but I tried.

Sigma_Orionis
2003-Aug-14, 01:11 AM
Hmmm.... the nice feature of the site is a Java applet that shows the planets rotating around the sun, the title is a real jewel "Welcome to a view of our universe as it is at this minute" (right, the universe is just our Solar System :lol:). I don't how accurate it is, but I just took a very quick look (my experience with this kind of simulations is basically fooling around a bit with Celestia so I would be making a wild guess about its accuracy....). As for the rest... well, all I can say is that the idea that Planetary Alignments have any effects on solar activity seems to have appeared for the first time in the media when two scientists named John R. Gribbin and Stephen H. Plagemann (well Gribbin seems to be prolific popular science writer, I can't imagine how he would get involved in something like this, as for Plagemann I could not find any references on his qualifications, maybe I did not search hard enough), published a book in 1974 called "The Jupiter Effect" that claimed that the planetary alignment of 1982 would spell disaster for the Human Race. Tidal forces on the sun caused by the combined gravitational influence of all the aligned planets (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars and Jupiter) would in turn provoke a major increase in solar activity which in turn (sigh!) would cause all sorts of havoc here on Earth: earthquakes, major storms etc. Let's just say that NOTHING happened that year (my astrophysics prof had a good laugh about it, that's the only major effect I could notice!). So now the "magnetic" influences of planetary alignments will cause an increase in hostility, tension and August 27th is the BIG day?, please excuse me while I try not laugh..... ](*,)

here (http://www.griffithobs.org/SkyAlignments.html) is a rather nice article written by John Mosley of the Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles about planetary alignments and their alleged "influence" on earthly affairs.

*Edited to clarify some of my opinions

Jim
2003-Aug-14, 12:55 PM
This rare alignment is likely to cause extreme solar flares resulting in:
+ Increased anxiety, nervousness and lack of sleep.
+ A heightened sexual tension.
+ Increased hostility.

Aha! So it's not all in my head!! (I told you I wasn't paranoid, so stop picking on me!)

Our Media Credits:
E! Entertainment TV ... FOX TV ... Mademoiselle Magazine ... Radio Manchester 'Breakfast Show' ... KHOW Denver Murph & Morgan show

Well, when you have knowledgeable, unimpeachable sources such as these... Must be true.

(That is a really neat orbital program he has, though.)

Hamlet
2003-Aug-14, 01:19 PM
(That is a really neat orbital program he has, though.)

I like John Walker's Solar System Live (http://www.fourmilab.ch/solar/solar.html) for a real-time view of what's going on in the neighborhood.

It's amazing to me that no one has rushed out a doomsday book to capitalize on the approach of Mars. With all the ancient and modern mythology to draw on I'm sure someone could spin a yarn that would have the rubes lining up to part with their cash.

Oh dear, that was a bit cynical wasn't it? I guess I've been reading this PX drivel for too long. :(

man on the moon
2003-Aug-15, 07:50 AM
i'm guessing the small brown unlabeled blob near the Sun is Mercury, right? it isn't labeled on the bottom. then again if it isn't labeled maybe we don't know what it is...i'll say no more. you know where i'm going with that one. :P

JimTKirk
2003-Aug-15, 01:42 PM
i'm guessing the small brown unlabeled blob near the Sun is Mercury, right? it isn't labeled on the bottom. then again if it isn't labeled maybe we don't know what it is...i'll say no more. you know where i'm going with that one. :P

Yeah, I guess Mercury, Saturn, Neptune and Pluto don't count! If just once they would show us an alignment in the past that shows the effects that they state, I would listen. Amazing they put Luna in the picture but no other satellites! (Jovian, etc...)

Pinemarten
2003-Aug-17, 05:24 AM
I remember another 'alignment' I lived through in '80-'82?
Everyone was paranoid.
I didn't know much about orbital physics then, but for some reason everyone I knew; wanted my opinion.
I assumed Jupiter weighed more than all the other rocks put together, so I just expressed the opinion that we never seem to notice an effect when that big bugger swings by on its normal path.
We don't even notice if our roses tilt.
So why would it make a difference if there was another handful of gravel in the same area?

The Bad Astronomer
2003-Aug-17, 06:05 AM
Y'all are missing the forest for the trees.

This isn't an alignment at all. The solar system is nearly flat, and this view is edge-on. From that angle, it will always fall in a line, or nearly so.

Also, there is a website attached to this message board (http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/planets.html).

WolfKC
2003-Aug-17, 04:42 PM
This rare alignment is likely to cause ...:
+ Increased anxiety, nervousness and lack of sleep.
+ A heightened sexual tension.
+ Increased hostility. I've been experiencing a rare alignment for the past 25 years! :o

Bad Astronomy, it would seem, has a much stronger influence on our minds than our bodies. :D 8)

tmosher
2003-Aug-17, 08:58 PM
There's an even newer twist to Nancy's interpretation of lens flares. She's now claiming that she sees a "winged globe" in the images people are sending her. Claims that it follows some sort of ancient myth about traveling planets or some such.

Sheesh....would that woman please get some sense of a normal life? What's going to happen to her mental state when reality finally sets in?

http://www.zetatalk.com/teams/tteam342.htm

I, however, counter her interpretations with the following images taken on August 17th 2003.

http://www.gbronline.com/tmosher/nana-4.html

Earthbound
2003-Aug-18, 04:31 AM
There's an even newer twist to Nancy's interpretation of lens flares. She's now claiming that she sees a "winged globe" in the images people are sending her. Claims that it follows some sort of ancient myth about traveling planets or some such.

Sheesh....would that woman please get some sense of a normal life? What's going to happen to her mental state when reality finally sets in?

http://www.zetatalk.com/teams/tteam342.htm

I, however, counter her interpretations with the following images taken on August 17th 2003.

http://www.gbronline.com/tmosher/nana-4.html

This explains it all. Now I know how PX has stayed by the sun for so long....it has wings. :roll: :D Flap flap flap. It also explains the erratic movements. What will she think of next? :lol:

Sammy
2003-Aug-18, 06:32 AM
Tmosher wrote

Its the same old flares. Recently they were spikes on a crown, per biblical prediction. A while back, they were Red Crosses, and before that, they were Fire Dragons. Of course these shots are more significant, since they were predicted by crop circles.

The latest, from Italy, look like thay may have been cooked a bit with an image processor. Comments from the digital experts, please!

Gmann
2003-Aug-18, 01:08 PM
I am still going to stick to the "Cy Young knuckleball theory", it makes as much if not more sense than the mindless drivel coming from the PX supporters.

Dancar
2003-Aug-18, 03:12 PM

Any relation to the "Red Cross" that was supposed to be bright enough to be visible during the day last March/April?