PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Dr. Plait

Lisa
2002-Mar-09, 05:43 AM
I was talking with Megan's stepmom, Carol this evening. She teaches IAP (Individual Assesment Program) students. One young lady in the program was trying to do a project for astronomy. The subject was stars. She was doing pretty well, but was stuck on the question about star's colors. Carol new it had something to do with temperature, but without some research, she was also stuck. Due to some circumstances at the school, she's had to almost triple her caseload, and barely has time to breathe. Carol is an excellent teacher, and always tries to make the best resources available to her students.
She tried to think about that site I'm always yammering about. LouseyAstronomy? CrudeAstromony? A-ha! BadAstronomy!
The student's project is now going very well, and she's sharing the site with her friends.
Carol would like me to quit savoring the book a chapter at a time, and fess it over. (I can't wait to see the fight between her and Megan)

Dr. Plait, Carol wants me to send you a thank-you. These are the students that are the "throw-aways" of the school system. Carol tries to encourage them to get their high-school degree, and go to college or vo-tech. Sometimes its an uphill battle.
One of these students found your site yesterday, and thinks maybe science ain't so bad after all.

Regards,
Lisa and Carol

Donnie B.
2002-Mar-09, 06:18 PM
There, BA, you see?

You are a teacher.

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Mar-10, 03:12 AM
Wow, what can I say. Really, that's very cool. Please thank them for me!

ljbrs
2002-Mar-21, 01:45 AM
Bad Astronomer Phil Plait: Your book is fun for everybody. It can educate as well as delight. The world needs more books like this one which is bound to make new converts for astronomy. Thank you for writing it.

But, I continually reiterate, ad infinitum...

Blah, blah, blah...

I mean it.

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif