PDA

View Full Version : Was there any dangerous situation that a 1960's style karate chop couldn't solve?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2008-Jan-29, 07:29 PM
Was there any dangerous situation that a 1960's style karate chop couldn't solve? Captain Kirk was pretty good at knockin' the villains down....anybody else? I always find these 'fight' scenes amusing....

Saluki
2008-Jan-29, 07:31 PM
Hmm, if only we had a forum devoted to discussion of media related issues . . .

antoniseb
2008-Jan-29, 07:48 PM
I'm sure that BBP intended to put this in SMAL, not Space Exploration.

2008-Jan-29, 07:58 PM
I'm sure that BBP intended to put this in SMAL, not Space Exploration.

Karate chop him!

Jason
2008-Jan-29, 08:20 PM
Kirk's signature move was the two-footed flying kick. A lot of the time he would use both hands together to knock someone out.

And Batman and Robin used fisticuffs to solve their problems in the '60s all the time. BAM! ZOT! SPIFF!

KaiYeves
2008-Jan-29, 08:38 PM
Totally Spies used it a lot, but '60s Retro was kind of the theme of the show.

Moose
2008-Jan-29, 10:42 PM
It always worked for Bruce Lee in Green Hornet, when they'd let him do his thing.

Abbadon_2008
2008-Jan-29, 10:59 PM
Kirk's signature move was the two-footed flying kick. A lot of the time he would use both hands together to knock someone out.

And Batman and Robin used fisticuffs to solve their problems in the '60s all the time. BAM! ZOT! SPIFF!

Kirk's signature moves --- drop kick and the double axe-handle strike -- are really moves from pro wrestling. Occasionally, one will find a double axe-handle in Mixed Martial Arts, but it's very rare, and the opponent sees it coming from a mile away...On the other hand, if you've already got your opponent pinned down, and you're trying to pound him into mush before he counters with some sort of complex move that requires such agility that it defies conventional understanding of the laws of human anatomy, and can't be translated into English properly anyway....well, try something else.

IMO, Bruce Lee was the only due who had good, reasonably realistsc fight scenes in that era.

Noclevername
2008-Jan-29, 11:22 PM
One chop to the back of the neck... or side of the neck... or the general shoulder region, or the head area... produced instant unconsciousness, but only in henchmen. The boss always had to have a knock-down, drag-out fight to take him down.

Neverfly
2008-Jan-29, 11:33 PM
Kirk's signature move was the two-footed flying kick.

William Shatner commented later that it had occurred to him that if he were to try that move in real life, he would probably bounce off the guys chest and get himself hurt.

ABR.
2008-Jan-30, 12:37 AM
It always worked for Bruce Lee in Green Hornet, when they'd let him do his thing.

Obviously, they didn't let him do his thing, or much else for that matter, in the Batman/Green Hornet crossover episodes. I mean, c'mon! -- Robin battling Kato and surviving much less holding his own?

Van Rijn
2008-Jan-30, 12:46 AM
One chop to the back of the neck... or side of the neck... or the general shoulder region, or the head area... produced instant unconsciousness, but only in henchmen. The boss always had to have a knock-down, drag-out fight to take him down.

Well, obviously, it was an adaptation of the Vulcan neck pinch using human martial arts techniques. It just wasn't as effective as the Vulcan original. :whistle:

Jason
2008-Jan-30, 03:57 AM
William Shatner commented later that it had occurred to him that if he were to try that move in real life, he would probably bounce off the guys chest and get himself hurt.
Even if it worked he would still be on his back on the floor, and if the guy he kicked wasn't out of action or had friends he would be trouble.

novaderrik
2008-Jan-30, 02:55 PM
the "judo CHOP" got Austin powers out of many deadly situations..

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2008-Jan-30, 04:04 PM
meant to put in smal....please move...thanks

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2008-Jan-30, 04:04 PM
did someone say "d'oh?"....also meant to say "chop"

Jeff Root
2008-Jan-30, 04:34 PM
No, you meant to say "jab". For the record, in case it changes, the
thread title says "...karate job..."

The worst karate chops I ever tast... I mean saw, were those delivered
by Jim Phelps, leader of the Impossible Missions Force. I don't think his
dainty little karate chops would be enough to operate a stapler unless
it was electrically powered.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

HenrikOlsen
2008-Feb-02, 12:23 PM
No, you meant to say "jab". For the record, in case it changes, the
thread title says "...karate job..."
Said.

Noclevername
2008-Feb-04, 02:12 AM
the "judo CHOP" got Austin powers out of many deadly situations..

Except there's no chops in Judu. Which means... he NEVER really gets out of trouble! ;)

AGN Fuel
2008-Feb-04, 03:12 AM
Maxwell Smart (except on really big KAOS agents: "Hope I wasn't outta line with that crack about...")

Swift
2008-Feb-04, 07:42 PM
Was there any dangerous situation that a 1960's style karate chop couldn't solve?
The Cuban Missile Crisis?

Gillianren
2008-Feb-04, 08:26 PM
The Cuban Missile Crisis?

Did anyone try?

Swift
2008-Feb-04, 08:31 PM
Did anyone try?
Well, Nikita Khrushchev (http://usforeignpolicy.about.com/od/countryprofile1/a/usrussiatimelin.htm) did bang his shoe on the table at the UN, but that was a little earlier (1960). Maybe this was the prototype of the karate chop as a solution to all problems?

Neverfly
2008-Feb-04, 10:50 PM
The worst karate chops I ever tast... I mean saw, were those delivered
by Jim Phelps, leader of the Impossible Missions Force. I don't think his
dainty little karate chops would be enough to operate a stapler unless
it was electrically powered.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

This is classic. One of the funniest posts I have read on BAUT.