PDA

View Full Version : Favorite BAD science movie?

Romanus
2008-Jan-31, 03:08 PM
I thought this would be a breath of fresh air: what's your favorite movie with bad science/astronomy?

I have two that are pretty much tied: Face/Off, and Twister.

Jason
2008-Jan-31, 04:17 PM
How about the Star Wars movies?
Starships flying around like they're in an atmosphere, with loud explosions and engine noises.
Moon-size battlestations that can travel through hyperspace and destroy entire planets with one shot.
"It's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs."
Asteroid belts that are so dense they would pulverize themselves to dust in a matter of years.
Or the Millenium Falcon having no working hyperdrive but still travelling from Hoth to Anoat to Bespin in the course of half a movie.
Laser swords that somehow don't extend to infinity and can block other laser swords as if they were solid.
Fully sentient robots that can't communicate in english.

Star Wars is full of implausible scientific holes.

mike alexander
2008-Jan-31, 05:27 PM
A favorite bad bad science movie would be 'This Island Earth'. A good bad science movie would be 'Riders to the Stars' (The latter having TWO 1950's-era B-movie stars, William Lundigan and Richard Carlson).

Swift
2008-Jan-31, 05:45 PM

So native speakers of languages other than English are not sentient? :D

oynaz
2008-Jan-31, 05:58 PM
Yep. I wondered about that as well.

Noclevername
2008-Jan-31, 06:13 PM
Young Frankenstein!

Spaceballs.

Wrath of KHAAAAAAAAAHN!

How about the 1953 War of the Worlds? Germs killed them? The aliens came from Mars. They shouldn't have been running around without sealed pressure suits anyway!

Lots of B-movies and MST3K fare.

The Time Machine (60's version).

Planet of the Apes (ditto).

Almost anything with mutants, who usually mutate in totally implausible ways.

Any Godzilla or Gamera movie.

King Kong (30s version).

Jimmy Neutron. (the pilot film)

Any superhero movie.

Matherly
2008-Jan-31, 06:32 PM
Well, if you're going to include Space Opera...

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

"No matter where you go... there you are"- Buckaroo Banzai

Paul Beardsley
2008-Jan-31, 06:34 PM
Wallace and Gromit in A Grand Day Out because the bad astronomy is due to a sense of humour rather than ignorance.

Gillianren
2008-Jan-31, 07:11 PM
Oh, I have a perverse fondness for The Cat from Outer Space and Flight of the Navigator.

Nadme
2008-Jan-31, 07:33 PM
Don't have one. Basically I can let my "science side" loosen up and simply enjoy even an obviously bad-science movie IF the storyline, plot, pacing, etc. are otherwise good.

There was a recent bad-science TV ad which caught my attention, however: People in a lunar colony watching a fiery meteor streak past high overhead.

Yeah right.

NEOWatcher
2008-Jan-31, 07:52 PM
Don't have one. Basically I can let my "science side" loosen up and simply enjoy even an obviously bad-science movie IF the storyline, plot, pacing, etc. are otherwise good.
Same here. I guess that's why some of the ST discussions I see make my eyes roll.

There was a recent bad-science TV ad which caught my attention, however: People in a lunar colony watching a fiery meteor streak past high overhead.
Sometimes the effects are enough to clue you into how good:sick: the story line may be.
And; if that's the high point of the show to advertise...

Fazor
2008-Jan-31, 08:03 PM
Oh, I have a perverse fondness for The Cat from Outer Space and Flight of the Navigator.

And what exactly constitutes as a perverse fondness of Flight? That's one of my favorite movies. It's one of those things I saw as a very young kid--and though I never knew the name, it stayed as a part of my permenant memory almost as though I had lived it. "I get around" instantly gained a spot among my favorite songs. And it haunted me like some fantastic spectre for years, until relatively recently (past 5 years or so) I finally figured out what movie it was. It's one of those rare things that turned me from my typically lack-of-emotion self back to a grade-schooler on christmas morn when they showed it on tv a few months ago. In short, it's one of the greatest movies ever made.

And whether they realize it or not, I think just about everyone agrees, because from my experience the instant you mention the name to someone, it unlocks some long-forgotten memory as their eyes glaze over--if only for a second. ...Except for my g/f, sadly. She doesn't know what it is nor does she understand why it's soo great. She fell asleep halfway though it!

Jason
2008-Jan-31, 08:03 PM
You guys can't even enjoy Star Wars or Wrath of Khaaaaaan? That's too bad.

Another favorite bad science film: The Black Hole
Spaceships designed like gothic cathedrals!
Black Holes that glow blue or red!
Lobotomizing lasers that don't kill their tinfoil-wrapped patient when they're blasted!
Robots that talk like Slim Pickens or Roddy McDowell!
Giant red glow-in-the-dark, semi-transparent fireball meteors!
Greenhouses that freeze seconds after a hole is opened up to space!
The Black Hole itself leading literally to Hell and Heaven!
And the penultimate silliness - climbing on the outside of the Cygnus to get to the escape ship - with no spacesuit required!

Whew!
They sure don't make them like that one anymore.

Fazor
2008-Jan-31, 08:06 PM
Oh, I got distracted at the mention of Flight of the Navigator. Do action movies count? Die Hard 1 and 3 (I chose to forget they ever made a DH2), and Leathal Weapon 1-4 are some of my favorite movies...but those "Blow everything up, and leave no ammo unspent" movies are notorious for bad science.

NEOWatcher
2008-Jan-31, 08:16 PM
Oh, I got distracted at the mention of Flight of the Navigator.
I can't remember if I remember that one (there were a few similar ones). Is it anything like "Flight of the Bumblebee".

Do action movies count?
I generally put those in a different genre even if it does overlap Sci-fi.
It depends on the plot. Is the plot based on science (good or bad) or is the science just a plot device to set up the actual plot.

Jason
2008-Jan-31, 08:24 PM
So Moonraker would count, while Live and Let Die would not.

trinitree88
2008-Jan-31, 08:37 PM
Mars Attacks...so utterly ridiculous....great fun though.:lol:pete

Fazor
2008-Jan-31, 08:44 PM
I can't remember if I remember that one (there were a few similar ones). Is it anything like "Flight of the Bumblebee".

Hey! Glaze over your eyes in a sudden fit of rememberance, as I stated in my long-winded ramble about how great that movie is, dagnabbit!!!

Oh. And per action movies--most of the ones I like are not in any way sci-fi, which is why I was asking. I suppose one could include "Sphere" and "Event Horizon", as I love those two movies (Sphere mostly because it's the one Chrichton-based movies that stayed at least semi-true to the book).

Though, I use to be a rabid Chrichton fan, but over the past decade have kinda fallen off that horse.

KaiYeves
2008-Jan-31, 08:48 PM
Jimmy Neutron.
National Treasure has Very Good Archeology, but the story these facts support is fictional, so I'm not sure where that goes.

Ilya
2008-Jan-31, 08:48 PM
I like "Advetures of Pluto Nash".

Except by Hollywood standards, science in it was pretty good. Yes, I know they had normal Earth gravity indoors, but they made a point of it -- and considering the production costs of simulating Lunar gravity, I am willing to forgive that. And Lunar gravity outdoors was done quite well.

So I guess this does not fit your question.

Van Rijn
2008-Jan-31, 08:54 PM
ID4. I liked the movie, but they added whole new levels to bad science.

Also, Wing Commander. A lot of people didn't like that movie, but I did, possibly because I liked the game series. That didn't stop it from being incredibly bad, though. (Dive bombers . . . in a vacuum!)

CodeSlinger
2008-Jan-31, 09:11 PM

And what exactly constitutes as a perverse fondness of Flight? That's one of my favorite movies.

One of mine too. Years after I saw that movie, I still fantasized about having an intelligent, morphing spaceship to zoom around in. I think it's safe to say that Flight, Short Circuit, and The Neverending Story are movies that defined my childhood.

Short Circuit, there's another endearing bad science movie.

Also, Wing Commander. A lot of people didn't like that movie, but I did, possibly because I liked the game series. That didn't stop it from being incredibly bad, though. (Dive bombers . . . in a vacuum!)

My own love for the game series could not salvage the movie for me :( Bad science, bad acting, bad script. And why oh why did they abandon all the sexy fighter designs (WC1/WC2 Rapier, WC3 Excalibur, yum...) from the game in favor of those fugly abominations in the movie?

Jay200MPH
2008-Jan-31, 09:29 PM
Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Okay, I know it wasn't strictly "bad science" when the book was written, but it sure was by the time they made the movie!

- J

Gillianren
2008-Jan-31, 09:48 PM
Oh, live action Disney movies . . . .

I'm fond of silly sci-fi, where I don't think the science matters. Some of the Miyazaki films have some pretty implausible aeronautics, and I'm not just talking Kiki's Delivery Service.

Van Rijn
2008-Jan-31, 11:09 PM
Oh, live action Disney movies . . . .

I'm fond of silly sci-fi, where I don't think the science matters. Some of the Miyazaki films have some pretty implausible aeronautics, and I'm not just talking Kiki's Delivery Service.

Most anime (and American animation as well) plays badly with science. I have a mental switch for anything animated, and normally just assume they'll be using "comic book physics." For some reason, for me, it's just easier to suspend disbelief for animation than live action.

There are occasional exceptions, such as Planettes where they did a pretty good job on the science side (there were some problems, but they did consult with NASA, and it showed). Then there are things that peg the "bad" meter. For instance, there's a silly anime called 009-1, where in the last episode, the heroine used a parachute . . . on the moon.

Noclevername
2008-Jan-31, 11:26 PM
Whew!
They sure don't make them like that one anymore.

No, now they use CGI instead.

Noclevername
2008-Jan-31, 11:27 PM
Men In Black.

Evolution.

Noclevername
2008-Jan-31, 11:30 PM
Attack of the 50 Foot Woman.

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (the Disney version)

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Wild, Wild West-- the movie itself was fluff, but I love steampunk.

darkhunter
2008-Jan-31, 11:41 PM
Wallace and Gromit in A Grand Day Out because the bad astronomy is due to a sense of humour rather than ignorance.I like all of the Wallace and Gromit shows...

My favorite for Bad Science is Absolute Zero (http://movies.msn.com/Movies/movie.aspx?m=2071288&mp=m&affid=100037)--I laughed all the way through because the science was just so bad....

Jason
2008-Jan-31, 11:58 PM
No, now they use CGI instead.
Actually they did use CGI in The Black Hole - during the opening credits.

ineluki
2008-Feb-01, 09:53 AM

Or the other way in the Prequels:
Robots that communicate with each other in spoken english.

Romanus
2008-Feb-01, 02:03 PM
<<The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.>>

And here I was thinking I was the only person who liked LXG, panned as it was on release. ;)

Let me also add the first Jurassic Park (all of the sequels are forgettable), and of course my all-time fave Aliens.

Gillianren
2008-Feb-01, 08:52 PM
<<The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.>>

And here I was thinking I was the only person who liked LXG, panned as it was on release.0 ;)

Oh, I like it too; I just don't often admit it in mixed company. (And, yes, the graphic novel's a ton better, and they get Dorian Gray wrong. I only sort of care.)

SpecialEd
2008-Feb-01, 09:31 PM
LXG lost me when they had an aircraft-carrier sized submarine surfacing at the London docks. Just how deep is the Thames, anyway?

MG1962A
2008-Feb-01, 10:19 PM
Actually they did use CGI in The Black Hole - during the opening credits.

I wish they had of green screened the whole thing - two hours of blank screen would have been better than what we got

mike alexander
2008-Feb-01, 11:15 PM
LXG lost me when they had an aircraft-carrier sized submarine surfacing at the London docks. Just how deep is the Thames, anyway?

Deeper than the canals in Venice. Most are just a few feet deep.

Jason
2008-Feb-01, 11:45 PM
I wish they had of green screened the whole thing - two hours of blank screen would have been better than what we got

Obviously you weren't 6 years old when you first saw it in theaters.