PDA

View Full Version : M92: Not just Hercules' other globular

RickJ
2008-Jan-31, 10:02 PM
Continuing to clean the hard drive last night after my clear but -30C skies quickly clouded over I found this from last summer. How I failed to process it at the time then forgot about it I don't know as this is some of the best seeing I've ever enjoyed at this location. The 5 minutes sub frames were a bit too long as the core saturated on me a bit. Other than that I'm happy about how it turned out.

14" LX200R, LRGB all are 6x5' binned 2x2, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME.

Cropped and reduced for bandwidth limits. For full size image see:
http://www.spacebanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1657&stc=1

Rick

Veeger
2008-Jan-31, 10:41 PM
Second globular in as many days.
What I like, especially about this one, is how beautifully you've managed to capture the extremely faint compnents without overexposing the core. Nice work.

-Veeger

paul f. campbell
2008-Jan-31, 11:17 PM
Hi Rick.
This is one great image. Clear skies to you. Paul

RickJ
2008-Feb-01, 01:54 AM
Second globular in as many days.
What I like, especially about this one, is how beautifully you've managed to capture the extremely faint compnents without overexposing the core. Nice work.

-Veeger

That's made possible by the wide dynamic range of the CCD. Something DSLRs still don't do. They can if the electronics for it were provided but to reduce file size that isn't done. Unfortunately a computer monitor doesn't have the range needed to display the full range so it is highly compressed on the image. In reality the brighness of the brightest to dimmest stars in this image is about 10 magnitudes or 10,000 times. A computer monitor only has 256 levels in the Luminosity image that color is added to. So this isn't how it looks in any telescope. Pretty but not realistic at all.

Rick

JAICOA
2008-Feb-01, 10:32 PM
A forgotten treasure, Another beautiful photo of star clusters. Outstanding Image Rick. Clear Skies

stargazer_7000
2008-Feb-02, 09:52 AM
Rick, that is a beautiful result!
ver y well done

winensky
2008-Feb-02, 11:51 PM
Stunning. So sharp. And despite your concern about saturation there is great detail right through the core. Once again masterful work.

Kind regards
Matt

BetaDust
2008-Feb-03, 04:33 PM
Thank u for this gorgeous Image Rick!!!
Clear Skies M8!

Dennis

andyschlei
2008-Feb-03, 06:38 PM
Rick,

Beautiful image of this great object. The color in the stars is very nice.

--Andy

tvdavis
2008-Feb-03, 10:22 PM
Simply gorgeous!!!

Tom