PDA

View Full Version : Poland "agrees" to host controversial US missile defence system

Fraser
2008-Feb-03, 12:50 AM
In a controversial move likely to enflame tensions between Russia, Europe and the US, Poland has agreed (in principal) to host bases for the "Star Wars" US missile shield intended to protect against any future missile attack from rogue nations. Russia totally opposes plans, stating that a European missile system, so close to the Russian [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/02/02/poland-agrees-to-host-controversial-us-missile-defence-system/)

korjik
2008-Feb-03, 01:15 AM
"agrees"? Am I going to have to report you for politics? :D

Not really suprising. Most eastern european countrys are prolly drooling over the chance to get the US to spend a couple hundred billion dollars locally.

andyschlei
2008-Feb-03, 04:48 PM
Fraser,

Poland is a good ally of the US with a democratically elected government. They openly decided to accept the missiles. If the people disagree, look for a change of government ahead.

Your Reuter's style scare quotes are over the top. And it's not Cuba. Russia was placing offensive weapons, these are defensive.

Consider yourself reported for injecting political opinion where it wasn't needed.

--Andy

Doodler
2008-Feb-03, 07:17 PM
I would alsoquestion the need for the quotes around 'agrees'. What with the recent developments in Moscow in the last few years, I'm have surprised they weren't knocking on our door asking for anything that would put an American presence in country.

I imagine Putin's furious that Dubya's moving stuff in the way of his plans to roll out the old Iron Curtain for dusting.

Halcyon Dayz
2008-Feb-03, 11:03 PM
Most eastern european countrys are prolly drooling over the chance to get the US to spend a couple hundred billion dollars locally.

The hardware is made in America, by US defence contractors. The base will be manned by Americans.
So for the local economy it will be mostly the sale of building materials, construction, and some supplies. Hardly impressive.

And these countries aren't as poor as you seem to think.

It has a lot more to do with geopolitics. And flipping off the Russians.

korjik
2008-Feb-03, 11:40 PM
The hardware is made in America, by US defence contractors. The base will be manned by Americans.
So for the local economy it will be mostly the sale of building materials, construction, and some supplies. Hardly impressive.

And these countries aren't as poor as you seem to think.

It has a lot more to do with geopolitics. And flipping off the Russians.

I think you underestmate the amount of cash that will be dropped into the local economy, and overestimate my view of the relative poverty of Eastern Europe.

The local infrastructure will be built by locals with american money, that is at least tens of millions, then each soldier will prolly generate tens of thousands of dollars of local economy. Locals will be employed in various positions, prolly paid at american rates, for quite a bit more cash into the local economy.

All of this will go somewhere which is prolly completely undeveloped land right now. Heck, I can think of a few local counties here in Texas that would drool for that kind of cash influx.

As for the geopolitical reasons, I very deliberately left those out. They are not appropriate for this board.

Disinfo Agent
2008-Feb-04, 12:48 PM
Poland is a good ally of the US with a democratically elected government. They openly decided to accept the missiles. If the people disagree, look for a change of government ahead.Lovely in theory, but in practice once such a thing is put into place it's very, very hard for a subsequent government to just say "Sorry, we've changed our minds. We don't want those missiles here anymore". Fat chance.