PDA

View Full Version : Contest - who has seen the most spacecraft?

BigJim
2003-Aug-18, 08:55 PM
This is a contest: Who has seen the most spacecraft. Winner wins. :wink:

Here are the rules:
"Spacecraft" is defined as any and all manned vehicles that took part in space missions. Mercury, Gemini, Apollo and Soyuz capsules and the Shuttle count. Boilerplates and mockups do not count. The ISS does not count, nor do past Mir sightings.

Rockets do not count, unless they are either a) Saturn Vs or b) you actually saw them launching.

You get 1 point for each spacecraft or rocket you have seen. You get 2 points if you saw that spacecraft during its mission (i.e. during liftoff or landing; unmanned rockets during launch only yield 1 point).

To help you remember which specific craft you may have seen, here (http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~rsf/CapsuleLocations.html) is a list of the current locations of some spacecraft.

If you've taken a ride in a spacecraft you automatically win. :P

Alright, here are the craft I have seen:

Sigma 7 (Astronaut Hall of Fame, FL)
Faith 7 (JSC)
Liberty Bell 7 :D (Arizona Science Center, AZ)
Friendship 7 (KSC)

Gemini 4 (Smithsonian)
Gemini 5 (Smithsonian)
Gemini 6 (St. Louis Science Center)
Gemini 7 (Smithsonian)

Columbia (Apollo 11) (Smithsonian)
Yankee Clipper (Apollo 12) (Langley)
Kitty Hawk (Apollo 14) (Astronaut Hall of Fame, FL)
Casper (Apollo 16) (USRC, Huntsville)
America (Apollo 17) (JSC)
Skylab 4 (Smithsonian)
ASTP (KSC)

I saw a Shuttle land once, but I don't remember which one. I think it was Columbia.

I have also seen Pathfinder, the Shuttle ortbiter mockup, but that does not count.

There is supposedly a Soyuz on display at the Smithsonian but I don't remember seeing it, so I will not count that for myself.

I have seen all three Saturn Vs. :)

For me that makes a grand total of 20 points.

Firefox
2003-Aug-18, 09:19 PM
Off the top of my head:

-Apollo 13 CM Odyssey, at the Kansas Cosmosphere
-Liberty Bell 7, Cosmosphere
-Apollo 15 CM, in Dayton OH Air Force Museum
-Freedom 7, NASM
-Friendship 7, NASM
-Apollo 11 CM Columbia, NASM
-Gemini 4, NASM

I don't get around much.

Adam

frenat
2003-Aug-18, 10:54 PM
Any that would be at the Smithsonian or Wright Patterson. I'm too lazy to figure out which those are right now.

The Bad Astronomer
2003-Aug-19, 12:01 AM
I recuse myself from this contest.

But I did see Apollo 15 launch.

his_eminence
2003-Aug-19, 01:23 AM
I've seen virtually every Shuttle that landed at Edwards AFB from the years 1988-93 coming in for landing. Also, I've seen it take back off on the back of the 747 that ferries it back to FL. Multiple 2 pointers I hope. Actually, my dad and I got chased away by the SPs once when we drove down a dirt road on the other side of the fence from the 747 sitting under the crane with the shuttle on it. He worked just up the flightline in a different hangar, so he knew how to get close, but I guess they didn't like it too much. Still, an impressive sight to behold. That thing is simply massive and it still boggles my mind how it gets off the ground.

By the way, this is my first post, whoo hoo.

ToSeek
2003-Aug-19, 02:07 AM
- All the ones at Smithsonian NASM.
- Shuttle on the launch pad.
- Shuttle flying on a 747.
- Shuttle on the ground on a 747.

I'm going to add in some bonus points for seeing:

- Hubble science instruments in the clean room at Goddard
- XTE spacecraft parts under construction at Goddard
- The CONTOUR spacecraft in the clean room at APL

Still, that's only about 9-12 points.

SpaceTrekkie
2003-Aug-19, 02:33 AM
I saw all the ones at the smithsonian pluse the Saturn V in Houston and does seeing the shuttle Enterprise on the gound at dulles while i was in a plane count?

Humphrey
2003-Aug-19, 02:38 AM
Seen the ones at smithsonian and Kennedy spcae center.

But do i get bonus points for my dad supplying the oil for the crawler and getting into the space tech hall of fame?

BigJim
2003-Aug-19, 03:08 AM
I saw all the ones at the smithsonian pluse the Saturn V in Houston and does seeing the shuttle Enterprise on the gound at dulles while i was in a plane count?

Enterprise does not count because it did not actually fly in space. Maybe half a point. :wink:

I'm going to add in some bonus points for seeing:

- Hubble science instruments in the clean room at Goddard
- XTE spacecraft parts under construction at Goddard
- The CONTOUR spacecraft in the clean room at APL

Wow. I'll let you have two for each of those. Three if you want for the Hubble.

I've seen virtually every Shuttle that landed at Edwards AFB from the years 1988-93 coming in for landing. Also, I've seen it take back off on the back of the 747 that ferries it back to FL. Multiple 2 pointers I hope. Actually, my dad and I got chased away by the SPs once when we drove down a dirt road on the other side of the fence from the 747 sitting under the crane with the shuttle on it. He worked just up the flightline in a different hangar, so he knew how to get close, but I guess they didn't like it too much. Still, an impressive sight to behold. That thing is simply massive and it still boggles my mind how it gets off the ground.

Yeah, that probably gives you the lead, although to be sure you'd have to check how many times it landed there.

I recuse myself from this contest.

But I did see Apollo 15 launch.

Seeing a Saturn V launch is worth 100 points. Or, as Master Card would say, priceless. :P

The Bad Astronomer
2003-Aug-19, 04:35 AM
I've seen virtually every Shuttle that landed at Edwards AFB from the years 1988-93 coming in for landing. Also, I've seen it take back off on the back of the 747 that ferries it back to FL.

Ah, you mean the one with me at the controls?
http://www.badastronomy.com/pix/me_747_controls.jpg

:o

AGN Fuel
2003-Aug-19, 04:46 AM

Man, that is a serious RV........fishing trip? :wink: :lol:

Charlie in Dayton
2003-Aug-19, 10:45 PM
Ah, you mean the one with me at the controls?

:o

Oh no...that does it. I'm never flying again. Someone get me Avis's phone number... [-(