PDA

View Full Version : Tachyons

kokosnood
2008-Feb-10, 07:30 PM
Tachyons

What are they, are they real, and do they offer advanced civilizations any hope for traveling to other galaxies?

I saw the bit on them on The Universe on The History Channel, and it peaked my curiosity.

Thanks in advance!

Laguna
2008-Feb-10, 08:29 PM
No, Tachyons are not real.
AFAIK, they are a possible solution within theory of relativity but have no representation in reality.

Occams Ghost
2008-Feb-11, 04:05 PM
Tachyons are hypothetical particles that are made of ''imaginary matter.'' They are able to move at superluminal speeds with as little energy as possible and have an infinite amount of energy at their lowest speeds... which is light speed. There is a good chance they exist, if relativity is correct in predicting them.

Noclevername
2008-Feb-11, 07:09 PM
What are they, are they real, and do they offer advanced civilizations any hope for traveling to other galaxies?

To answer your questions in order: see above, maybe, and no.

trinitree88
2008-Feb-11, 07:53 PM
Tachyons

I saw the bit on them on The Universe on The History Channel, and it peaked my curiosity.

Thanks in advance!

kokosnood. I'm with Laguna2, fiction, pure fiction. Goes right in there with WIMPS, sparticles, unparticles, polywater, caloric, Nessie, Bigfoot,leprechauns, pots o gold, dragons......wait a minute, what do dragonflies feed on?.....:shifty: pete