PDA

View Full Version : When (if ever) is Battlestar Galactica coming back?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2008-Feb-11, 12:08 PM
When (if ever) is Battlestar Gallactica coming back? I'm getting tired of waiting and truth to tell I've sort of lost interest. Spring/fall? Split season???? - by that I mean half in spring/half in fall???? I wouldn't be surprised to see direct to dvd....

Jason
2008-Feb-11, 05:17 PM
Last I heard they had filmed 13 episodes (out of a planned 20) before the writer's strike. They were planing on starting the season in March, but who knows if that will go forward now - since the Writer's strike is only maybe being resolved now.

Kevn
2008-Feb-11, 07:49 PM
This was on TV Guide.com a few days ago...

Finally! Galactica's Flight Plan Is Revealed

After what feels like a frakkin' eternity, Sci Fi Channel has announced the premiere date for its Emmy- and Peabody Award-winning Battlestar Galactica. The show returns to our orbit with a pair of back-to-back specials airing Friday, March 28, during the 10 o'clock hour. Up first is Battlestar Galactica: Revisited, presenting essential information on the characters, relationships and major plot points of the series' first three seasons. Battlestar Galactica: The Phenomenon follows, offering a celebrity-studded celebration of the show's impact on pop culture.

And oh yeah the first new Season 4 eppy hits your screen Friday, April 4, at 10. Happy travels!

vonmazur
2008-Feb-11, 07:57 PM
This is an example of what is wrong with "Horrywud" (From: "1941" a Spielberg Epic).....This is about the 7th iteration of what they are going to do..(Maybe the 8th?) I was told on another forum, that the two guys who did this show. left to (re)make the Bionic Woman.....That lasted a bit, then died...

Why can't these Producers just make the show and be done with it? Is there something that requires this sort of manifestation?? (like in the water?)

Dale

Jason
2008-Feb-11, 08:02 PM
It's the Sci-Fi channel as much as it is the producers. Season 2 of Galactica had a very strange release schedule too, with a long mid-season break, and Season 1 was only 13 episodes long (17 if you count the mini-series, I guess), like a mid-season replacement series.
And Season 4 had Razor released as a sort of prelude months before the actual season.

ravens_cry
2008-Feb-12, 01:49 AM
I remember watching the second season of Enterpise when it first came out. They kept repeating the "50's Vulcans" episode over and over. Not only that, but some episodes from the first season as well. It was..rather annoying.

Glom
2008-Feb-12, 09:17 AM
When is it being released on DVD? I want to know what happens to #*!$#!%*

Kevn
2008-Feb-12, 07:22 PM
When is it being released on DVD? I want to know what happens to #*!$#!%*

Which season?

Season 3 will be out in the US (Region 1) March 18th.

Season 3 for Region 2 was out last September. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battlestar-Galactica-Edward-James-Olmos/dp/B000OY8NCE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1202844093&sr=8-1)

Extravoice
2008-Feb-16, 10:54 PM
This was on TV Guide.com a few days ago...

...presenting essential information on the characters, relationships and major plot points of the series' first three seasons...

Uh.., yeah, good idea. Most of us have forgotten the characters, relationsips, and major plot points by now! :wall:

Tobin Dax
2008-Feb-17, 09:14 AM
This is an example of what is wrong with "Horrywud" (From: "1941" a Spielberg Epic).....This is about the 7th iteration of what they are going to do..(Maybe the 8th?) I was told on another forum, that the two guys who did this show. left to (re)make the Bionic Woman.....That lasted a bit, then died...

Why can't these Producers just make the show and be done with it? Is there something that requires this sort of manifestation?? (like in the water?)

Dale

It's more SciFi's fault than the producers'. They've been doing crappy scheduling stuff for years. I've been hearing that it will start in April for a decent amount of time, so I'm not aware of as many iterations as you claim.

As for Bionic Woman, nobody "left" to do it. *One* of the producers was also producing Bionic Woman along with Galactica. I don't know all the details there, but Galactica has always sounded like Ron Moore's baby to me. Maybe Eick could get away with doing both at once. Maybe SciFi's bad timing allowed him to do it. In either case, it's not as you're representing it.

As mentioned above, they've got half the episodes made. So it's obviously SciFi who's hanging on to them for whatever date they want to start airing them. (IIRC, this same stupid stuff is why I quit watching Farscape on TV.)

Parrothead
2008-Feb-17, 04:39 PM
Now that SciFi has made April 4th their official date, Space will be releasing their airdate shortly, according to their website/boards.

DataCable
2008-Feb-24, 10:42 PM
And Season 4 had Razor released as a sort of prelude months before the actual season.Razor was produced as a direct-to-DVD film which SciFi would air just the one time, slightly edited. The producers, though, consider it part of the 4th season production schedule, hence they internally refer to the first "official" ep of S4 as ep 3, etc.

Parrothead
2008-Mar-06, 05:04 PM
In Canada, Space will be carrying it, at the same time as Sci-Fi in the US, beginning April 4th at 10 pm EDT.

fancastguru
2008-Apr-03, 01:04 AM
I've been catching up with season 3 on fancast.com - you can watch the full episodes for free on your own time. I'm on episode 17 "Maelstrom" with 3 more shows to watch before the new season begins on Friday :)

Jason
2008-Apr-03, 03:56 PM
Sci-Fi channel has been basically re-broadcasting the third season this week in preperation for the premeire.

fancastguru
2008-Apr-07, 01:23 PM
Yes true but I like watching it on Fancast because I can also check out other BG clips and watch other TV shows like Medium and Star Trek.

Extravoice
2008-Apr-07, 04:50 PM
Now that SciFi has started the final season, does anyone know what their plans are for showing the remaining episodes? I imagine that they won't show them straight, but will do something dumb, like show half the episodes, wait 5 years, then show the rest. :rolleyes:

Jason
2008-Apr-07, 04:58 PM
I think they are indeed planing on having a mid-season break, with the last ten episodes airing in early 2009. I'm not sure if that's how it will finally end up, but that was the rumor.

Trantor
2008-Apr-07, 07:26 PM
I was impressed with the first new episode of season 4. Season 3 was not a good season in my opinion. It had perhaps 4 good episodes and the most of the episodes after the escape from New Caprica were entirely too "soapy" for me.

The season 4 opener was well done. The first episode featured a lot of mystery elements and a nice space battle. James callis as Baltar was especially good in this episode. Looks like next week may also be very good, as we get to see part two. Hopefully, BSG goes out in style.

Jason
2008-Apr-07, 07:46 PM
I didn't much like Season 3 when it first aired, but I liked it quite a bit more after watching the episodes without a mid-season gap on DVD. A problem is that the mid-season climax (involving the Eye of Jupiter) seemed to be in the middle of some of the weaker episodes.
I think the first five episodes were good, "Unfinished Business" (the one with the boxing match) was good, and the last seven episodes were good. That's 13 good episodes of the 20 in the season, and I don't think any of the others are really bad episodes. So not a bad season, all things considered.

I still think the worst episode in the series is probably "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down" (the one where Ellen, Tigh's wife, is introduced) from the first season.