PDA

View Full Version : Caroline Porco Advises new Trek Movie!!

Kevn
2008-Feb-11, 07:54 PM
I just read on Space.com that Caroline Porco - who is the Director of CICLOPS (http://ciclops.org/) - is a technical advisor on the new Star Trek movie...

'Star Trek' Movie Gets Science Advice (http://www.space.com/entertainment/080211-star-trek-advisor.html)

This doesn't mean the movie will be good, per se, but - if JJ Abrams takes her advice - some of it will be.

KaiYeves
2008-Feb-11, 08:26 PM
Interesting. I was thinking of making her leader of the Rebel Alliance in my Star Wars parody, but apparently she perfers Trek.

NEOWatcher
2008-Feb-11, 08:50 PM
...This doesn't mean the movie will be good, per se, but - if JJ Abrams takes her advice - some of it will be.
The article mentioned her imaging background quite a bit. I just hope that's because of her, and not because they are just going to go to her to say "does this look right?"

Noclevername
2008-Feb-11, 11:02 PM
A Star Trek production with accurate science?!
"What fevered dream is this that bids to tear Scruffy in twain?"

JustAFriend
2008-Feb-12, 03:03 PM
Considering that principle photography is already underway and the CGI crews have probably already got quite a bit done, there really couldn't be too much that could be changed now if any 'inaccuracies' are discovered.

PLUS the fact that ALL of the other Trek movies have had science consultants credited, this is sounding more like a CYA (cover-your-butt) stunt by the producers who have had to field a lot of criticism from the Trek community.

... I still can't wash the taste out of my mouth from seeing 'Nemesis'.

ravens_cry
2008-Feb-12, 04:02 PM
... I still can't wash the taste out of my mouth from seeing 'Nemesis'.

I hated that they made the Remans steriotypical 'evil' looking, it went against everything I LIKE about the Trek.

Neverfly
2008-Feb-12, 10:10 PM
What I never could figure out is why Picard is depicted as having always been bald.

Picard has hair. Only the top of his chrome dome is bald. In fact, during the filming of Nemesis, Stewart showed up with the sides way too long, and they had to digitally remove all that hair later ( apparently they didn't really notice during the filming and it occurred to them later. They didn't want to chase him with a razor and them re film the scenes). You could visibly see the hair.

What is that all about?

novaderrik
2008-Feb-13, 12:35 AM
What I never could figure out is why Picard is depicted as having always been bald.

Picard has hair. Only the top of his chrome dome is bald. In fact, during the filming of Nemesis, Stewart showed up with the sides way too long, and they had to digitally remove all that hair later ( apparently they didn't really notice during the filming and it occurred to them later. They didn't want to chase him with a razor and them re film the scenes). You could visibly see the hair.

What is that all about?
when they showed him as a kid during the run of TNG, he had a full luxurious head of hair- and a slight British accent, which i thought was odd for a kid from France.
i'm sure the timeline got contaminated by some stray tachion particles or something.. that would explain the discrepency.. or maybe Q screwed with things..

Noclevername
2008-Feb-13, 01:51 AM
when they showed him as a kid during the run of TNG, he had a full luxurious head of hair- and a slight British accent, which i thought was odd for a kid from France.

Not odd at all. If he learned British English from early childhood, or concurrently with French, he could plausibly speak it with no French accent. Since English (or whatever PC non-nationalist neutral name they gave it) is the common language of Earth, if not the Federation, it makes sense that it would be taught as part of a standard education.

Noclevername
2008-Feb-13, 02:02 AM
Re: the Remans, that's just the Heavy Hand of Berman on the film. He has the Evil Reptilian Xindi eating mice and wearing Big Pointy Collars just to show how Eeeeeevil they were.
Being scaly, they lacked only mustaches to twirl.

Neverfly
2008-Feb-13, 04:31 AM
Not odd at all. If he learned British English from early childhood, or concurrently with French, he could plausibly speak it with no French accent. Since English (or whatever PC non-nationalist neutral name they gave it) is the common language of Earth, if not the Federation, it makes sense that it would be taught as part of a standard education.

That doesn't explain the hair though.

I agree- Blame it on Q.
Q saw that luxurious hair and got jealous and zapped it in the timeline.

Or maybe the Xindi Test Probe did it after got shanghaied by a trans dimensional beings time warp gate.

ravens_cry
2008-Feb-15, 12:21 AM
Re: the Remans, that's just the Heavy Hand of Berman on the film. He has the Evil Reptilian Xindi eating mice and wearing Big Pointy Collars just to show how Eeeeeevil they were.
Being scaly, they lacked only mustaches to twirl.
But at least they put some effort into it, and certain reptiles DO eat mice. The Remans, the Remans freaking looked like Nosferatu for bloody sakes.
As for Picard with hair, he even had hair on the cover of "The Valiant" NG novel, he, had, HAIR. As a kid he had hair, as an adult he had hair, until he lost it through natural means. Maybe Jean-Luc went through a rebellious faze while at Starfleet Academy.
Yeah, that's right, Picard, cyber-punk.:lol:

HenrikOlsen
2008-Feb-15, 01:53 PM
He most definitely had hair as a younger man.
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/protectedimage.php?image=ColinPolonowski/iclaudiusf9.jpg as can be seen in one of his earlier visits to thee holodeck:)

Noclevername
2008-Feb-15, 06:21 PM
But at least they put some effort into it, and certain reptiles DO eat mice.

Yes, but it was the way they showed it: while the RXindi were standing around in their Pointy Collars, plotting and scheming evilly against their fellow (human looking) Xindi, and letting loose with a classic evil laugh-- MUAHAHAHA!

nomuse
2008-Feb-15, 11:27 PM
"Mousie....Mousie...!"

ravens_cry
2008-Feb-15, 11:47 PM
Yes, but it was the way they showed it: while the RXindi were standing around in their Pointy Collars, plotting and scheming evilly against their fellow (human looking) Xindi, and letting loose with a classic evil laugh-- MUAHAHAHA!
True, it was your basic "evil dudes who do evil deeds for we are evil dudes, and evil deeds are what evil dudes do" scenario. As much as I liked some parts, Enterprise could have been a million times better.

Delvo
2008-Feb-16, 12:53 AM
So it wasn't what they ate; it was that they ate while we could see them on the screen talking and plotting and such. Everyone knows that anyone who eats while doing other things on screen is evil, even if they're human and it's normal human food.

parallaxicality
2008-Feb-18, 04:22 PM
Anyone see Carolyn Porco in "The Planets"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmmnG6QRkbg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5D2I3hbHkY

I think her voice is kinda sexy, with that slight New Yawk drawl creeping up from under her measured tones.

By the way, the guy complaining in the comments obviously didn't watch the rest of the documentary. EVERYBODY talked about themselves.