PDA

View Full Version : Arlan Andrews´s sci-fi "what if" short story "The Great Moon

Magnificent Desolation
2002-Mar-10, 01:50 PM
The following is the link(s) to Arlan Andrews´s sci-fi "what if" short story "The Great Moon Hoax".

The short story is clearly not written by a hoax believer as it is written pretty much "tongue-in-cheek".

The introduction, under "2001 Archieve", reads:

"Arlan has been an SF fan for almost 50 years, an SF pro for about 20 years, with his first sales in 1979 to Omni (a two-page novelty chart, "Elements of SF") and Isaac Asimov's SF Magazine (a poem, "The Rime of the Ancient Engineer"). Since then, his SF has appeared in Analog, SF Review, SF Age, Fantasy Book and Pulphouse, as well as in anthologies (Nanodreams, How to Save the World), along with speculative articles dealing with everything from the future of nanotech manufacturing to aspects of the esoteric and paranormal.

To imagine ol' Lyndon Johnson trying to get hundreds of industry and Civil Service people to work together surreptitiously, risking devastating scandals and civil lawsuits, not to mention federal prison, all just to fake Moon landings is quite ridiculous. Or is it...what would it have taken in the US government to hoax such a thing? This story is the answer."

The link to the short story is:

http://www.ideomancer.com/sf/Andrews-Moon/Andrews-Moon.htm

.. and the link to the printable version:

http://www.ideomancer.com/sf/Andrews-Moon/Andrews-Moongs.htm

"Magnificent Desolation"

SpacedOut
2002-Mar-10, 02:08 PM
What a Hoot!!

However on second thought, some HB will find the document and present it as fact! Not to mention every other conspiracy theory believer on the planet – any conspiracies he left out? Oh well - I guess it takes all types.

Simon
2002-Mar-11, 11:57 AM
Oh man, that's wonderful!

with the national security agencies' active involvement — " at that, CIA, NSA, NSF, DOD, DIA, NRO, CFR, IBM and Illuminati all beamed from their secondary vantage points along the north wall of the Oval Office...

...Amidst shocked exhalations, CIA, FBI, NSA, AT&T and a few others took notes furiously; the President was entirely too knowledgeable about things he had no clearances for.

..."Don't worry about the Navy. We follow orders. If we can keep the truth about Pearl Harbor and Port Chicago and the Philadelphia Experiment and the Montauk installation and Trinity Site and Roswell and the Bay of Pigs out of the news, we can do just about anything!"

Great stuff!
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

jkmccrann
2005-Oct-21, 05:41 PM
This sounded interesting, but unfortunately the links to Andrew's story are no longer operational. Though I have found ideomancer to be an interesting site, I'd recommend a visit.

sts60
2005-Oct-21, 08:51 PM
That they're no longer operational isn't surprising, as you've dug up yet another three-year-old thread. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but all the dust is making me sneeze!

R.A.F.
2005-Oct-21, 10:18 PM
That they're no longer operational isn't surprising, as you've dug up yet another three-year-old thread. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Personally, I'm not quite as "understanding" as you are, sts60.

jkmccrann...is there a purpose for you "reviving" all of these old threads? I believe the count stands at 9 now...

Van Rijn
2005-Oct-21, 10:27 PM
Heh. I just asked the same thing here:

http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?p=583834#post583834