PDA

View Full Version : What should be next planet name?

EndeavorRX7
2008-Feb-19, 10:21 PM
I know that the current planets have been named after mythological Gods and such, but if a new planet were to be discovered what should it be named? It could be anything (doesn't have to be a god). Give your suggestion(s) and reasons...

mines is 'Bacchus' (aka the partying "drunk" God).

Mr Q
2008-Feb-19, 11:52 PM
Endeavor -
I like the traditional naming process because, in the begining of optical astronomy, the planets were symbolic of the gods they were named after. To "shift gears" now would depart from the traditional naming process and so start the trend of forgeting our important astrononomical history. Yes, Pluto is an example but I'm sure Clyde considered Goofy as a name but thought it daffy, Donald, but thought it was only ducky in the U.K., and on and on. With all those mythical gods out there not used yet, why not continue with tradition (sure I would like a planet named after me but who else would care?)? Mr Q:think:

Noclevername
2008-Feb-19, 11:59 PM
We already have the Greek/Roman gods covered, how about some of the other pantheons? The next one can be Huitzilopchtli (just because I'd love to see the blow-dried news anchors try to pronounce it!)

Eckelston
2008-Feb-20, 01:05 AM
Maybe the Innuit have a name for "that big ball of ice orbiting the Sun with a semi-major axis of 150 astronomical units" ?

Occam
2008-Feb-20, 01:06 AM
Wtf2008

eugenek
2008-Feb-20, 02:56 PM
Rupert.

Ilya
2008-Feb-20, 03:10 PM
Maybe the Innuit have a name for "that big ball of ice orbiting the Sun with a semi-major axis of 150 astronomical units" ?

Sedna?

closetgeek
2008-Feb-20, 03:46 PM
Bob!
Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto (Planet or not, it still has a name), Xena (what ever happened to that tenth planetish object?), and Bob. Has a nice ring to it...

JohnBStone
2008-Feb-20, 04:30 PM
New Pluto as it is the real 9th planet.

Or if you mean a dwarf planet, of which we are expecting 100s over the next century or so, then just DP5.

WaxRubiks
2008-Feb-20, 04:36 PM
Dicoao(Drunk In Charge Of An Orbit)

antoniseb
2008-Feb-20, 04:59 PM
As with Occam (above) I think it should be some combination of letters and numerals indicating what star it is orbiting, and how far from the star it is. If it is orbiting the Sun, I think it should also indicate the year it was discovered.

WaxRubiks
2008-Feb-20, 05:08 PM
Ratslido20008(rolling around the sun, laughing its donkey off)

antoniseb
2008-Feb-20, 05:20 PM
Ratslido20008(rolling around the sun, laughing its donkey off)

I'd be OK with that if its atmosphere was primarily nitrous oxide, and it was discovered in 20008.

Ara Pacis
2008-Feb-20, 08:05 PM
Slusho

Seriously, they should sell naming rights. It might help get them some funding instead of sucking on government milk.

Celestial Mechanic
2008-Feb-20, 08:21 PM
Seriously, they should sell naming rights. It might help get them some funding instead of sucking on government milk.
What will we do when the next Enron bites the dust with a planet named after it? Will we retain the name? Let some other megaconglomerate put their name on it? Even if that means having the inevitable TPFKAE (The Planet Formerly Known As Enron) footnote applied to it in all scholarly works from then on?

Larry Jacks
2008-Feb-20, 10:04 PM
We could take Authur C. Clarke's idea (from "Rendezvous with Rama") and start using the names of Hindu gods. That should do for quite some time.

Noclevername
2008-Feb-20, 11:06 PM
We can name them after monsters from popular fantasy role-playing games. Don't you want to see a planet called the Gelatinous Cube?

kleindoofy
2008-Feb-21, 04:39 AM
What should be next planet name?
Since, AFAIK, no new planets are really expected, how about: 'Surprise!'? ;)

lpgeorge123
2008-Feb-21, 05:21 AM
We can name them after monsters from popular fantasy role-playing games. Don't you want to see a planet called the Gelatinous Cube?

I think that is one of the dorkiest things I've ever heard, but is oh so very funny. I think if I were giving a presentation on the a planet named Gelatinous Cube I wouldn't be able to hold a straight face whenever I said it's name.

ravens_cry
2008-Feb-21, 07:09 AM
I would have a worse time with a planet named Black Pudding.

mtm105
2008-Feb-21, 04:04 PM
Obama. With an orbiting moon Oprah.

Argos
2008-Feb-21, 04:32 PM
We could take Authur C. Clarke's idea (from "Rendezvous with Rama") and start using the names of Hindu gods. That should do for quite some time.

Since America is in the cutting edge of astronomy research it would be justified to give them native American deities names. There´s no shortage of gods across the Americas. Europeans have already had their fair share.

mugaliens
2008-Feb-21, 04:45 PM
I propose using random letters. Therefore, WOXHFG is my vote.

Nadme
2008-Feb-21, 05:03 PM
Tralfaz.

Yep, Astro's original doggy name from The Jetsons. :D

There's just something about that name.

AndreasJ
2008-Feb-21, 05:17 PM
Xena (what ever happened to that tenth planetish object?)
It got a new, official, name: Eris.

Occam
2008-Feb-21, 06:37 PM
Since, AFAIK, no new planets are really expected, how about: 'Surprise!'? ;)

Hence my suggestion above :D

Ara Pacis
2008-Feb-21, 11:44 PM
What will we do when the next Enron bites the dust with a planet named after it? Will we retain the name? Let some other megaconglomerate put their name on it? Even if that means having the inevitable TPFKAE (The Planet Formerly Known As Enron) footnote applied to it in all scholarly works from then on?

Enron could sell the naming rights and recoup some of their investment. Astronomers can go on using the catalog numbers they seem to like so much.

EndeavorRX7
2008-Feb-22, 12:16 AM

Shouldn't Oprah be the larger satellite hehe

EndeavorRX7
2008-Feb-22, 12:18 AM
I think that is one of the dorkiest things I've ever heard, but is oh so very funny. I think if I were giving a presentation on the a planet named Gelatinous Cube I wouldn't be able to hold a straight face whenever I said it's name.

I agree. That was an awesome one Noclever. Laughed like crazy.

RalofTyr
2008-Feb-22, 04:19 AM
Planet Jesus.

The next planet imaged will probably be named, Alpha Centuari A1 2014

Actually, they are more like stars.

As Oprah grows from increase mass, the orbit shifts like Sirius or Procyon's past.

KaiYeves
2008-Feb-22, 02:19 PM
Kokopelli.

closetgeek
2008-Feb-22, 02:27 PM

Thrall!
Our Father who art in Orgrimar, Thrall be thy name...

closetgeek
2008-Feb-22, 02:29 PM
It got a new, official, name: Eris.

I liked Xena better

"...But Xena can't fly."
"I told you, I'm not Xena, I'm Lucy Lawless."

KaiYeves
2008-Feb-22, 02:30 PM
Planet Marvel.
In the interest of equal time, seeing as we already had Planet DC.

WaxRubiks
2008-Feb-22, 03:21 PM
"dream" with the moon "sleep"

Professor Mayhem
2008-Feb-22, 03:49 PM
Rupert.

QFE

KaiYeves
2008-Feb-22, 06:27 PM
A planet called Thor would be cool.

Ara Pacis
2008-Feb-22, 08:05 PM
Planet Walrus, with the moon Mahbukket.

kleindoofy
2008-Feb-22, 08:45 PM
@Occam :doh:I missed that totally.

... American deities ... Europeans have already had their fair share.

Ok, we could kill two with one stone.

Paris.

Paris was a rich heir who became very prominent for getting involved with the opposite sex, causing huge problems for lots of people, and including lots of Trojans.

One was in Troy, one in California. ;)

KaiYeves
2008-Feb-23, 01:06 AM
Erikson?