PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious Mars Formation May be Caused by Bursts of Water

Fraser
2008-Feb-21, 12:30 AM
Many basin-like features observed on the Martian surface appear to have a fanned feature around possible inlets. Much like river deltas, scientists believe these Mars inlets have similar properties as their terrestrial counterparts, where the flow of water would slow into a basin reservoir, dropping suspended material and depositing it as silt, forming deltas. However, [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/02/20/mysterious-mars-formation-may-be-caused-by-bursts-of-water/)

Fazor
2008-Feb-22, 06:27 PM
Well, I just found this story elsewhere, and the search reveals that I was tooseeked... but it was by Fraser so I'm not suprised. :) Anyway I won't post the link the the version of the story I read because it doesn't contain anything different than the UT post, so if you haven't already, read that one! :)

The article mentioned that deltas on earth tend to be wider, more sloping fan shapes. But if the theory for the Mars formations is correct, this makes sense; Earth's deltas tend to be formed when water deposits sediment into an already formed body of water.
If this theory is true, it helps date the water flows on Mars to ones that emptied into existing bodies, and ones that flowed into craters/basins.

But the real question on MY mind is, how was the fishing? :) (Spring fever and it's only February. :( ).

BigDon
2008-Feb-22, 09:02 PM
Hey Fazor, spring is here already if you feel like coming on over. Plus I know where the good bass holes are already. (Fishing in Bear Slough in the San Joaquin Delta is always VERY good day. Pulled a 5.5 pound largemouth out of there once.)

trinitree88
2008-Feb-24, 05:30 PM
Many basin-like features observed on the Martian surface appear to have a fanned feature around possible inlets. Much like river deltas, scientists believe these Mars inlets have similar properties as their terrestrial counterparts, where the flow of water would slow into a basin reservoir, dropping suspended material and depositing it as silt, forming deltas. However, [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/02/20/mysterious-mars-formation-may-be-caused-by-bursts-of-water/)

Fraser. The intermittent flow of water in a short time spans can also come from "the heavens".. Marine sediments indicate passage of several supernova shocks on Earth, and as they are rich in oxygen and hydrogen, most of the oxygen should be tied up in water. A type 2 generates ~ 2-3 solar masses of water, and at a survivable distance can cover Mars with ~ a foot. The trickier issue might be finding a way to temporarily raise Martian temperatures so that it rained, not snowed. pete