PDA

View Full Version : You cannot make another post so soon after your last

BigJim
2003-Aug-22, 08:01 PM
You cannot make another post so soon after your last; please try again in a short while.

AAAARRRGGHHHHH!!!!

This thread is for your rants about that horrible message. :x :x

gethen
2003-Aug-22, 08:03 PM
When are you getting this message? I thought it was popping up when you tried to edit a post immediately, but that it got fixed. I must not be posting fast enough. :wink:

Glom
2003-Aug-22, 08:04 PM
BA put it in to halt the activities of spam artists.

The Bad Astronomer
2003-Aug-22, 08:12 PM
It's a standard feature of good bulletin board software. It's called "flood control" to prevent people from posting a lot of messages all at once. (ie, spammers or petulant people I have made angry). For the BABB it's set to one minute, and it's a feature that's here to stay. Learn to like it. I have. :D

Doodler
2003-Aug-22, 08:15 PM
Doesn't sound so bad. Really, with the exception of editing a minor typo, how long does the average person take to read a new thread and think on an answer prior to replying? I finally started using the preview button more because most of my edits were typos and I didn't want to leave the impression I was changing something more.

gethen
2003-Aug-22, 08:21 PM
Doesn't sound so bad. Really, with the exception of editing a minor typo, how long does the average person take to read a new thread and think on an answer prior to replying? I finally started using the preview button more because most of my edits were typos and I didn't want to leave the impression I was changing something more.

Same here. The preview button also saves me lots of embarassment caused by inept typing.

Glom
2003-Aug-22, 08:31 PM
The edit thing has been fixed. When I encounter it, it's because the second post that is coming too soon is more or less fluff. Overall, it doesn't bother me.

ToSeek
2003-Aug-22, 08:51 PM
Learn to like it. I have. :D

Yes, but you said you don't have to deal with it from the posting end the way we do. [-X

Mr. X
2003-Aug-22, 08:58 PM
That message is SO GREAT! It prevents OBNOXIOUS and ANNOYING people from posting too much! I LOVE it! Maybe we should have Phil set it to 15 minutes! :D

I'll stop before BigJim attempts to murder me again. :D

wedgebert
2003-Aug-23, 12:51 AM
I wouldn't mind so much if it had a counter saying "You must wait X seconds before posting again".

BigJim
2003-Aug-23, 12:51 AM
That message is SO GREAT! It prevents OBNOXIOUS and ANNOYING people from posting too much! I LOVE it! Maybe we should have Phil set it to 15 minutes! :D

I'll stop before BigJim attempts to murder me again. :D

I didn't realize its functional value. Often when I post one or two word posts like "I agree," "That's true," "Why?" or "How?" I get this message, and it can be annoying. Now I see its purpose.

Pi Man
2003-Aug-23, 06:49 AM
It often hampers me when I try to post fairly long answers! I sometimes write 4 sentance paragraphs (fairly long sentences, yes) and still get the message.

Also, I've heard that the BA has removed himself from flood control!

TriangleMan
2003-Aug-23, 05:15 PM
I was annoyed with it at first but I got used to it and if it helps prevent spamming, what the heck. :)

Roy Batty
2003-Aug-23, 06:10 PM
I only ever noticied it upon editing within a minute of my post but, as was said, that was fixed. A good thing too because for the life of me I always spot a typo no matter how many times I preview it! :D
...YKYAATTBABBW you complain you can't post for a minute BigJim :wink:

Pi Man
2003-Aug-23, 06:23 PM
I only ever noticied it upon editing within a minute of my post but, as was said, that was fixed. A good thing too because for the life of me I always spot a typo no matter how many times I preview it! :D

What is "YKYAATTBABBW"?

Pinemarten
2003-Aug-23, 10:18 PM
I still think the time should increase with the number of posts, multiplied by the amount of posts in the FlUFF forum. We could even subtract those posts from our totals and create pre-bad newbies.
Bad Zygotes?

Roy Batty
2003-Aug-23, 11:43 PM

What is "YKYAATTBABBW"?

Errr.... someone whos obviously been on the board too long & can't even get the acronym right? :P :D

Pi Man
2003-Aug-23, 11:44 PM
I still think the time should increase with the number of posts, multiplied by the amount of posts in the FlUFF forum. We could even subtract those posts from our totals and create pre-bad newbies.
Bad Zygotes?

Hmmmmm... That would give me about -700 posts! :D

Pi Man
2003-Aug-23, 11:46 PM

What is "YKYAATTBABBW"?

Errr.... someone whos obviously been on the board too long & can't even get the acronym right? :P :D

Somebody on the IRC told me. It's:

"You Know You Are Addicted To The Bad Astronomy Bulletin Board When"

Roy Batty
2003-Aug-24, 12:15 AM

What is "YKYAATTBABBW"?

Somebody on the IRC told me. It's:

"You Know You Are Addicted To The Bad Astronomy Bulletin Board When"

Phew, you actually had me doubting.. i couldnt remember! ...... right time to log off tonight/this morning 8)