PDA

View Full Version : The bisolar model ?

Hans
2008-Feb-29, 04:40 AM
Fringe quote;

"Precessional motion is caused due to the slow 'nodding' motion of the Earth over a period approximately 26,000 years. This moding motion of the Earth causes the stars to appear to shift 1 degree west to east around every 72 years. This is what gives us the Precession of the Equinoxes. Using astronomical star-mapping software it is possible to map - with reasonable degree of accuracy, the positons of stars across this 26,000 year cycle."

Okay I understand that part (is it correct?)

"This is assuming, of course, that we have correctly understood the processes that cause precession. The currently accpted lunisolar model is presently being challenged by the bisolar model developed by Walter Cruttenden. "

Bisolar?

Celestial Mechanic
2008-Feb-29, 05:26 AM
Fringe quote;

"Precessional motion is caused due to the slow 'nodding' motion of the Earth over a period approximately 26,000 years. This moding motion of the Earth causes the stars to appear to shift 1 degree west to east around every 72 years. This is what gives us the Precession of the Equinoxes. Using astronomical star-mapping software it is possible to map -- with reasonable degree of accuracy, the positons of stars across this 26,000 year cycle."
Okay I understand that part (is it correct?)
Yes, it is.

"This is assuming, of course, that we have correctly understood the processes that cause precession. The currently accpted lunisolar model is presently being challenged by the bisolar model developed by Walter Cruttenden. "
Bisolar?
This is not correct. Cruttenden's works have been discussed in numerous threads where this idea has come up, such as Binary Research Institute (http://www.bautforum.com/questions-answers/69117-looking-thread-bri.html) and several others. I have given reasonably simple derivations of the precession (and may do it again using another approach) in a set of dialogues.

The executive summary: we do understand the processes behind precession of the equinoxes and the nutations in longitude and obliquity. Their causes are entirely local, there is no need to invoke a distant solar companion.

Hans
2008-Feb-29, 08:19 AM
Thanks for making that clearer!