PDA

View Full Version : 2008 AF4 Torino Scale 1 again.

MeteorWayne
2008-Mar-01, 08:51 PM
This is a subject I've been following for a while.

There are currently two asteroids rated as Torino Scale 1.

One is 2007 VK 184, which won't be observable for a while, so will remain there.

The other is 2008 AF4, an ~ 0.4 km object that currently is hovering between TS 0 and TS 1. There are currently 16 virtual impactors from 2078 to 2099 (no direct concern for me :) )

I will post the definitions for the categories as soon as I figure out how to do it properly, as well as specific information for this asteroid.

What's kind of fun is that this object is still being observed, so there is a nearly daily update to the impact risk for the rubble we live on.

Meteor Wayne

Torino Scale:

No Hazard
(White Zone) 0 The likelihood of a collision is zero, or is so low as to be effectively zero. Also applies to small objects such as meteors and bodies that burn up in the atmosphere as well as infrequent meteorite falls that rarely cause damage.
Normal
(Green Zone) 1 A routine discovery in which a pass near the Earth is predicted that poses no unusual level of danger. Current calculations show the chance of collision is extremely unlikely with no cause for public attention or public concern. New telescopic observations very likely will lead to re-assignment to Level 0.
Meriting Attention by Astronomers
(Yellow Zone) 2 A discovery, which may become routine with expanded searches, of an object making a somewhat close but not highly unusual pass near the Earth. While meriting attention by astronomers, there is no cause for public attention or public concern as an actual collision is very unlikely. New telescopic observations very likely will lead to re-assignment to Level 0.

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/torino_scale.html

KaiYeves
2008-Mar-01, 08:53 PM
Even two years later, the first thing I think of when I see "Torino" is the Olympics.