PDA

View Full Version : So, which is it?

Serpent
2008-Mar-03, 06:50 PM
In several different episodes, we've heard that nothing can escape a black hole, not even light, but that neutrinos can and do go through anything because they really don't "like" interacting.

So...do neutrinos go through black holes or get sucked into them?

damian1727
2008-Mar-03, 09:00 PM
nutrinos cannot escape from a black hole as far as i am aware

but they can go thro a light year of lead....

StarStryder
2008-Mar-11, 04:22 AM
Neutrinos go through material in general, but if something has enough gravity (like a blackhole) even neutrinos come to a grinding halt. The Earth, sadly, doesn't have enough mass to make a neutrino pause.

-P

dcl
2008-Apr-24, 02:25 AM
Nothing, including neutrinos, can avoid falling into a black hole once it has passed through the black hole's event horizon. However, it IS possible for an object to orbit a black hole as long as its point of nearest approach lies outside the black hole's event horizon.

I do not understand Dr. Gay's assertion that "Neutrinos go through material in general, but if something has enough gravity (like a blackhole) even neutrinos come to a grinding halt." Where do they come to a grinding halt? Inside the black hole? At the event horizon? Somewhere else? If so, where? I believe that neutrinos fall into black holes just as readily as any other objects once they pass through the event horizon.