PDA

View Full Version : oops Sheilds

Martian Jim
2002-Mar-12, 10:49 AM
even through this may have nothing to with astronomy, this is something that has bugged me for some time.

i just watched this episode of star trek and realised one strange thing, why is it that when a ship gets hit, (even throught its shields are still up) why dose all the consoles explode? its like a computer store getting hit by some wind then all the computers inside just explode. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif
also, why dose the ship take damage even through its sheild are still up? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Martian Jim
2002-Mar-12, 10:50 AM
why even bother having sheilds? they should paint a bullseye on the hull instead

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Martian Jim on 2002-03-12 05:53 ]</font>

Martian Jim
2002-Mar-12, 10:54 AM
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gifbump8)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Martian Jim on 2002-03-12 05:55 ]</font>

lpetrich
2002-Mar-12, 10:57 AM
I agree that that is greatly illogical; however, having them study some shield-strength strip-chart display while being seemingly unaffected is rather short on melodrama.

Chuck
2002-Mar-12, 01:14 PM
They can still see each other when their shields are up so they should shoot each other with lasers in the visible spectrum.

In the original series the shields used to switch themselves on when something was approaching. I guess they abandoned that technology because it's more dramatic to discuss it first.

kucharek
2002-Mar-12, 01:14 PM
Well, while in reality computer equipment is running on lower and lower voltages, in movies it usually run with at least 5000 volts.
The same holds for cars: In movies they always explode after a crash or falling down from a cliff or so. That's an easy way to distinguish between good and bad movies: If the car explodes, it's a bad one...

Hale_Bopp
2002-Mar-12, 01:49 PM
Shields don't work because the other ship is "modulating the freqency of their weapons to penetrate our shields." Also, the other ship is made of some bizzarre allow so the Enterprise's weapons are useless. This happens every week.

Just once I would like to see them meet a ship that can't touch them and they can totally blow out of the sky at will /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Rob

ToSeek
2002-Mar-12, 01:54 PM
On 2002-03-12 08:49, Hale_Bopp wrote:

Just once I would like to see them meet a ship that can't touch them and they can totally blow out of the sky at will /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Rob

Mighty short episode, that. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Hale_Bopp
2002-Mar-12, 02:46 PM
Not really...they could actually debate what the Prime Directive would have them do for once /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Rob

ToSeek
2002-Mar-12, 03:41 PM
On 2002-03-12 09:46, Hale_Bopp wrote:
Not really...they could actually debate what the Prime Directive would have them do for once /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Oh, goody, an exciting, thrill-packed episode then... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Chuck
2002-Mar-12, 09:56 PM
The prime directive is violated almost every time it comes up. Every new civilization fits into some loophole. I wonder what 24th century tax laws are like.

Even when enforced it's not enforced in any consistent manner. Sometimes it means no contact at all. Sometimes you can freely contact the inhabitants, even primitive ones, but can't share technology. Sometimes you can use your technology to save them from doom. Sometimes you have to let them go extinct.

In the original series The Enterprise visits a civilization modeled after earth's 1920s Chicago. Kirk explains that the inhabitants were first contacted by an independent trader, not Starfleet, and the prime directive didn't apply to them. Why restrict Starfleet interference if every lying pack of thieves in The Federation can jump right in and take advantage of the natives?

And why keep hands off when you know that the Klingons and Romulans won't? The whole concept is stupid from beginning to end.

Chip
2002-Mar-12, 11:06 PM
On 2002-03-12 08:14, Chuck wrote:
"In the original series the shields used to switch themselves on when something was approaching. I guess they abandoned that technology because it's more dramatic to discuss it first."

That's why I dig Babylon 5 much more than the Star Trek spin-offs. On "B5" they try to avoid getting shot at, because if they get hit, they're dead. Even though "B5" has lots of incredibly wrong things going on, the lack of shields and transporters makes it seem more "real." (They still occasionally run into the proverbial extremely advanced alien who's technology seems like magic to us.) /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

P.S. As a musician, I absolutely dread the insipid, moaning, incidental music that accompanies all the Star Trek series' that came after the original show, and Next Generation episodes.

ChallegedChimp
2002-Mar-13, 12:03 PM
IN response to the original question... ummm... maybe the shields draw a lot of power on the ship energy and when taking a major hit...well they have to transfer that energy somewhere. And some of it might get reouted back into the main power grid and cause consoles to explode. The part I never got was once two or three consoles blew up, the officers manning it would continue to use it. BLow up their weapons console and the ship might be rendered inoffensive (guess rerouting might do the trick to save it)

TinFoilHat
2002-Mar-13, 01:53 PM
Like the seat belt, the technology for the fuse and the circuit breaker was somehow lost between now and the time of Star Trek. Furthermore, some other useful technologies have been lost between the time of Enterprise and the time of Next Generation - such as the grab handles on the consoles which help the unseatbelted crewmembers hold onto their station when the ship is betting tossed around. The technology to manufacture actual physical switches and buttons was also lost, forcing everyone in the later years to use those horrid touch-screen displays.

And then there's the ergonomic nightmare that is the hand phaser. No sights, awkward grip, and no way to aim with any accuracy at a target more than a few feet away.

I used to design industrial control systems for a living. If I ever built a panel that exploded when something it was controlling was damaged, I'd be out of a job and facing lawsuits. Good thing OSHA didn't survive to the 25th century.

Silas
2002-Mar-13, 04:37 PM
On 2002-03-13 08:53, TinFoilHat wrote:
I used to design industrial control systems for a living. If I ever built a panel that exploded when something it was controlling was damaged, I'd be out of a job and facing lawsuits. Good thing OSHA didn't survive to the 25th century.

I've never had anything blow up, but I got a lot of smoke out of computer equipment once... (I plugged a 5 volt bar code reader into a 10 volt keyboard. Whee!)

I've also seen the results of capacitor explosions... To date, I've never seen a CRT burst, but I'm told it happens on rare occasions...

Our electronics aren't as bad as they are on tv...but they aren't completely safe, either...

Silas

Kaptain K
2002-Mar-13, 05:05 PM
Once you let the smoke out of a piece of electronic equipment, it stops working. Sometimes, the wizards (with wands and incantations) can install new smoke and thereby cause the equipment to work again. Other times, the only recourse is to replace it with a new one with the smoke factory installed. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Valiant Dancer
2002-Mar-13, 06:13 PM
On 2002-03-12 08:49, Hale_Bopp wrote:
Shields don't work because the other ship is "modulating the freqency of their weapons to penetrate our shields." Also, the other ship is made of some bizzarre allow so the Enterprise's weapons are useless. This happens every week.

Rob

TNG did this already. Riker's comment was "They're equiped with lasers. Our navagation sheilds would deflect that." The good ole Prime Directive put them in a position where Picard would have to surrender his ship.

As for sheild hits causing damage/physical offsetting, it's in the script that something dramatic happens.

Wiley
2002-Mar-13, 06:58 PM
On 2002-03-13 12:05, Kaptain K wrote:
Once you let the smoke out of a piece of electronic equipment, it stops working. Sometimes, the wizards (with wands and incantations) can install new smoke and thereby cause the equipment to work again. Other times, the only recourse is to replace it with a new one with the smoke factory installed. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I can't tell you how many times I've let the smoke out of devices. For some reason op-amps don't like having their polarity reversed. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

The Curtmudgeon
2002-Mar-13, 09:04 PM
On 2002-03-13 12:05, Kaptain K wrote:

Getting waaaaaaaay off the thread now, but briefly: this isn't always true. Where I used to work we had a lab system that was letting off enough smoke to set off the fire alarms (and did!), while the system diagnostics which were running at the time kept on reporting, "Test 1 -- Passed", "Test 2 -- Passed", "Test 3 -- Passed", et-bloody-cetera. We later named it the 'John Cameron Swayze system': "It takes a burning and keeps on churning!" (very old cultural reference for you new kids or non-Americans in the crowd).

Then again, I think we got it shut down before all the smoke was out of it, so maybe that explains it.

The (we were singing "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" for days thereafter) Curtmudgeon

Martian Jim
2002-Mar-14, 06:02 AM
so your telling me now that when a ship gets hit instead of the consoles exploding for no reason they should realise loads of smoke?

or they should have a wizard making lots of smoke?

ChallegedChimp
2002-Mar-14, 12:24 PM
Nah... the spiffy air filtration systems would get rid o the smoke. But a wizard manning the photon cannons might be nice (I really like that part of Enterprise's first season, they installed photon "cannons" which in later Trek times would be tubes for torpedeos... heck, I liked how they dealt with the whole weapons array.... launching what was essentially guided missles and nary a planet busting phaser in site.... good use o the word cannon)

Martian Jim
2002-Mar-15, 06:55 AM
harry potter manning the cannons?

thats the enterprise gone then

ACM
2002-Mar-17, 10:55 PM
Also in response to the original question, the sheilds cant absorb all the energy released by the impact of a weapon. Some of the energy will indirectly get through the sheilds, causing damage to the ship. (quick note, the Enterprise on the new show does not have sheilds)

Mr. X
2002-Mar-20, 01:13 AM
Talking about Star Trek annoyances, who washes those consoles? Anyone ever wonder how greasy they get after a few uses? I've never seen people clean up, no federation janitors around. Maybe they use that sonic thingy to clean up. Or maybe the just replicate new panels, heh.

And anyone else wonder about the carpets? Who cleans them? After a while don't carpets get worn out in the middle where people walk? Do they replicate some more and change them? Who does that? At the starbase?

Does their lighting ever stop working? Do they need to change bulbs or fluorescent lights?

Ever wonder why the Universal Translator makes it so that the translated speech is in perfect synch with the lips?

I don't even want to think about toilets and what happens to them... (Sir the enterprise is leaving behind some sort of debris field!). Can't help but think that should be regulated... Even if they recuperated... I know atoms are atoms, but you can't help but feel uncomfortable at the idea of eating those that came out of another person's bowels the day before... Even though it doesn't fall in the category of "Rational thinking, reasonnable future" /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

By the way in Star Trek Bridge Commander at one point the universal translator takes some time to adapt (to Kessok language), a very wise idea. I can't say if it's Larry Holland's own idea though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr. X on 2002-03-19 20:21 ]</font>

Roy Batty
2002-Mar-20, 01:21 AM
Err.. what Universal Translator? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
http://www.chaparraltree.com/sflang/darmok1.au

Chuck
2002-Mar-20, 02:32 AM
Maybe The Enterprise transporters beam away the dirt and grease periodically.

We constantly eat and breathe atoms that have been in peoples' bowels. Maybe we should boil our air.

Mr. X
2002-Mar-20, 03:40 AM
Sighs... what about "rational thinking, reasonable future"?

Isn't it like "Sane planning, sensible tomorrow"?

Celebrate good times come on...
I will.

I'm just too damn fast...
or incomprehensible...

Russ
2002-Mar-20, 12:41 PM
On 2002-03-13 07:03, ChallegedChimp wrote:
IN response to the original question... ummm... maybe the shields draw a lot of power on the ship energy and when taking a major hit...well they have to transfer that energy somewhere. And some of it might get reouted back into the main power grid and cause consoles to explode.

If that is the case they have lost a technology that exists today. It is infact used in our present day computers to prevent common mode power surges in and in manny other electric things. It's called a diode. There are light emitting versions that light up all kinds of displays and things. You may use the acronym yourself, "LED".

There are a bunch of other electricity based things they get wrong on a regular basis but I don't have time to go into them right now. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Wally
2002-Mar-20, 01:37 PM
Ya know. . . there's lots of stuff they do on that show (and other SciFi's as well, for that matter) that just plain doesn't make sense, but are done for the sake of looking cool. It's always been a pet peeve of mine that they navigate, even during evasive manuvers, by typing out a bunch of info on a touch sensitive screen. Sorry, but even in advanced times, it just seems to me a good ol' wheel/joystick/whatever would be much quicker and more intuitive when it comes to navigation, at least for drastic moves. Wally

ps. I do seem to recall 1 episode of TNG where #1 activated a tiny joystick for some really tricky manuvers. Gotta admit, it did look pretty funny, but at least it made some sense to me!

David Hall
2002-Mar-20, 02:08 PM
On 2002-03-20 08:37, Wally wrote:

ps. I do seem to recall 1 episode of TNG where #1 activated a tiny joystick for some really tricky manuvers. Gotta admit, it did look pretty funny, but at least it made some sense to me!

You aren't perhaps thinking of Star Trek 2, where they (if I remember correctly) used a joystick to manually target the photon torpedoes against Khan in the Mutara nebula?

SeanF
2002-Mar-20, 02:23 PM
On 2002-03-20 09:08, David Hall wrote:

On 2002-03-20 08:37, Wally wrote:

You aren't perhaps thinking of Star Trek 2, where they (if I remember correctly) used a joystick to manually target the photon torpedoes against Khan in the Mutara nebula?

Nope, I remember this, too. It definitely was Riker, but I believe it was in the latest movie (Insurrection) rather than an episode of the TV series.

I know, "picky, picky" . . . /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

David Hall
2002-Mar-20, 02:51 PM
Ok, I never got to see Insurrection, so I was only going by the memories I have.

Gotta see that one some day. I guess a trip to the video store is in order.

Hale_Bopp
2002-Mar-20, 02:55 PM
I saw Insurrection at a drive in theater. With the large screen, you could actually see the "seams" where the computer generated effects were imposed on some of the natural scenes. Guess they didn't make the movie to be blown up that big. I would have liked to see it in a theater to see how it looked on a normal sized screen.

Rob

SpacedOut
2002-Mar-20, 03:35 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong. But, on Voyager, when Paris designed the special runabout (Delta Flyer???) didn't it have "retro" controls, like a joy stick, and other instruments?

Mr. X
2002-Mar-20, 06:05 PM
It WAS Insurrection with the joystick...
Terrible, absolutely terrible movie...
Lots of Riker, Picard became a second rate secondary character, no semi-dressed Milla Jovovich... oops I meant... something else... lots more Riker, and again more Riker.

Absolute paradise for Riker lovers. And him pulling out a "manual steering column" to perform "the Riker maneuver"... I mean... GAG!

My friend and I just kept shaking our heads and saying "tsk tsk tsk...". In the end we had shaken our heads so much we looked like we had just exited a ring after a fight against Mike Tyson... minus the missing ears mind you.

It took us back to the good old days of Riker-mania i.e. Star Trek Generations... with the close-up on Riker's face and the music as he says "FIRE!"... of course after that closeup the Bird of Prey had no choice but to blow up. Can't help but think it would have been funny if he had said "FIRE" with the closeup, and then to hear the ensign at the helm say "Their front shields are at 97 percent... and holding!"

Plus there was no Milla Jovovich undressed, which is a very bad point... at least it would have taken our minds off the terrible story.

Instead I do believe we had the right to a semi-undressed Riker... desperate try to get female audiences... disturbing to say the very least.

Overall the Riker-meter goes through the roof, which is inversely proportional to one tenth of the quality-meter... which is evaluated from 1 to 10...

On the other hand had they found a way to fit some Milla in there...oops.

"...bartenders and shiny stuff and dreams are made of stooped necromancers he seems like a banana wrist having strayed too close to the constellations on their shaved skulls. The rain of frogs ended and a rain of blood comes down. Doing them answers and then I'll be gone! The whole city was an image, riding the bar. He yearns for a taste of tentacles. I could..."

Martian Jim
2002-Mar-20, 07:01 PM
Going all the way back to the question about cleaning, i dont think they can clean the comps because if they did, while cleaning the console they would be hitting all the buttons with the cleaning things (while wiping it they would be touching the buttons) and they could accidenly cause something to go wrong (warp core overload, autodestruct, making the helm controls lock so that they cant stop the ship when they are about to fly into a balck hole, etc)

riker half dressed? thats a scary thought

David Hall
2002-Mar-21, 04:00 AM
Well, as for the thing about worn-out carpets and such, remember this is the 25th century here. I mean we're talking REAL space-age materials. Not only will they never wear out, they probably clean themselves.

I'm sure also there are people on board given maintenence duties. I'll bet someone comes around with a bottle of window cleaner periodically to wipe down all those screens. It's just not very dramatic so they don't bother to show it. Also remember there must be occasional times when the Enterprise is in dock for maintenance and refitting.

Hmm...maybe some interesting story possibilities here. Crisis on board when the ship's supply of window cleaner gets sucked into a miniature black hole. The screens are getting dirtier and dirtier captain! I can't see my controls well enough to target the enemy!

Chuck
2002-Mar-21, 01:22 PM
The Klingons shoot holes in the ship so often that they don't need vacuum cleaners.

Mr. X
2002-Mar-22, 12:16 AM
The whole ship must've been rebuilt a couple of times before that genius Riker crashed it... shows what Picard knows about choosing a first officer and trusting him with the keys...

Was it in here that someone said stuff about the phaser? Well I'd like to say that I agree with that guy, and that the federation issue phaser was truly the worst thing to happen to weapons since... since the banana cream pie launcher.

A grip from hell, a lot of stuff to touch before firing, no sights whatsoever, the impossibility of drawing it out fast enough should the need arise...

Anyone else ever noticed how much time it's necessary to fire at someone for them to finally die?

How about that, the phasers in Star Trek are so crappy that when they actually use them, the rays that are "drawn" sometimes go out with an angle, for them to hit the intended target on screen...

And don't get me started about that infamous phaser compression rifle! Oh, my the personnification of everything that could be wrong with a weapon... and then some!

Those phaser compression rifles... oh my... whatever they fire is so slow it can actually be DODGED! And you don't have to be Neo to dodge them either...

Ever wonder why those phaser rays are so slow too? Man I can recall a couple of times they actually dodged them...

The only advantage they have is they can be used for "mass destruction"... but that's a moot point if you're already dead by the time it takes to unholster and aim the thing, not to mention set it on the right setting, not on "Overload: Warning".

Honestly I think they should just have handguns, end of story...

How many red and yellow shirts are there on the Enterprise? My friends and I call them "Cannon Fodders" for some obvious reason... Anyone else remembers "Mister Hawk" from Star Trek First Contact? The whole crew acts all friendly with him for the first 15 minutes of the movie "Haw haw, you make such great jokes Mister Hawk" and "the enterprise just wouldn't be the same without you, Mister Hawk", all in all, high praise from all the crew. Fifteen minutes later, in an "EVA" (don't know how it's called in Star Trek), with Picard and Worf, well, surprise, surprise, Mister Hawk bites the dust. He gets the long ride, so to speak. You know, pushing up posies? Well, he disappears at first, then they see he's been assimilated. Never hesitating one second, they gun down the assimilated Mister Hawk like a dog. Mister Hawk has been killed by some senior staff, got all that high praise before, but nobody, EVER, mentions him again, or feels sorry for his loss... Kinda funny when Picard guns down that half assimilated ensign crying for help... never hesitating, Picard butchers him like cattle.("Not the livestock, Jean-Luc!").

I wonder just how many "Your son/brother/father has been killed in action" letters the federation pumps out each day... our forests could be grateful there's no paper involved!

And what the hell happens to all those bodies? Anyone remember DooM? Well the first episode/chapter was named "Knee deep in the dead". Can't help but think it fits quite well here! Half the Enterprise must be a morgue to hold all these bodies!

I'm sure the solution lies in the fact that the Enterprise's warp core is really just funky lights, and its name is really "Steamship Enterprise", powered by coal. They must shove all those bodies in the furnace, I'm sure!

And whatever happened to the ancient mystical art of camoflage? Has it been lost like the fuse? Failing using a cloaking device, how about making the damned ship BLACK instead of white! Even if they could fight with sensors only, how about when they fight against a ship with disabled sensors! Submarines don't see each other in combat, nevertheless they aren't painted in WHITE! (I know, submarines have to get out of the water at times, why are you such a nitpicker!)

Isn't that a lot of ranting? Well, Ta!

Kaptain K
2002-Mar-22, 01:10 AM
How many red and yellow shirts are there on the Enterprise? My friends and I call them "Cannon Fodders" for some obvious reason...
This is known as the "Ensign Jones" plot device. It was described by Time magazine way back when ST:TOS was still in first run. It goes something like this: In the opening "teaser", an away team beams to a strange planet. "Ensign Jones, go check behind that rock." A few seconds later, there is a blood curdling scream and EJ is found dead. Cut to commercial. EJ is never mentioned again.

ACM
2002-Mar-22, 03:15 AM
whoa....Mr X. Just one thing I will post about, painting the ship black would do nothing to hide it from a ships sensors, cloaking device does. Be a bit leniant with some of Trek....we know that Bermnan (who I like to call birdman) has messed up trek more then once, but its still trek! Star Trek, as far as I can tell, he been far more loyal to science then any other science fiction out there.

Martian Jim
2002-Mar-22, 05:59 AM
WHOA! THIS POST IS BURNING BABY!!

(check the icon)

Kaptain K
2002-Mar-22, 07:24 AM
Read the FAQ: /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_evil.gif

"Flaming icons signify that there are 40 or more posts in that thread. It is a warning to slower connections that the thread may take some time to load."

Wally
2002-Mar-22, 01:05 PM
On 2002-03-22 02:24, Kaptain K wrote:
Read the FAQ: /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_evil.gif

"Flaming icons signify that there are 40 or more posts in that thread. It is a warning to slower connections that the thread may take some time to load."

Sure, that's one way for it to happen. This time though, I'm inclined to believe the flames appeared right after MrX's post!

ToSeek
2002-Mar-22, 01:16 PM
On 2002-03-21 19:16, Mr. X wrote:

How many red and yellow shirts are there on the Enterprise? My friends and I call them "Cannon Fodders" for some obvious reason...

I was at a science fiction convention once with Robin Curtis (Saavik after the second movie) as a guest. She'd been answering questions for a while, then noted that we in the audience knew a lot more about Trek than she did and asked if we had any advice. Some guy in the back shouted, "Don't wear a red shirt!"

Of course, in the movies, they all wear red shirts! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

SeanF
2002-Mar-22, 01:30 PM
On 2002-03-22 08:16, ToSeek wrote:

I was at a science fiction convention once with Robin Curtis (Saavik after the second movie) as a guest. She'd been answering questions for a while, then noted that we in the audience knew a lot more about Trek than she did and asked if we had any advice. Some guy in the back shouted, "Don't wear a red shirt!"

Of course, in the movies, they all wear red shirts! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

That must've been a while ago . . . that old joke is exactly the reason Gene Roddenberry put the Captain in a red shirt in TNG . . . /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Mar-22, 01:31 PM
Those phaser compression rifles... oh my... whatever they fire is so slow it can actually be DODGED! And you don't have to be Neo to dodge them either...

Ever wonder why those phaser rays are so slow too? Man I can recall a couple of times they actually dodged them...

I dunno about this objection. Ordinary guns are much too fast for a person to actually dodge a bullet after it has left a gun--but people do it all the time.

At least I saw it in Showtime last week.

ToSeek
2002-Mar-22, 02:36 PM
On 2002-03-22 08:30, SeanF wrote:
That must've been a while ago . . . that old joke is exactly the reason Gene Roddenberry put the Captain in a red shirt in TNG . . . /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I don't remember just when it was, but it was around the time of the third and fourth movies, so, yes, it was quite some time ago.

Silas
2002-Mar-22, 03:20 PM
As you know, Kirk and Sulu are fans of antique firearms. One day, in a fit of fun, they beam down to an uninhabited planet with replicated firearms and a whole box of replicated empty glass bottles. They have a great day! They plink and plink and plink!

Finally, Spock, who has been watching them from orbit, beams down and approaches them (carefully.)

"Gentlemen, this activity is not endorsed by Federation regulations."

Kirk, in dismay, asks, "Were you spying on us?"

"Yes, sir. I was the spectator of the gun."

Sulu sighed. "Well, I'll pick up as much of the broken glass as I can. Um... This won't go on the official record, will it?"

Spock frowned judiciously, and then said, "It need not, so long as you let this be your last bottlefield."

Silas

Martian Jim
2002-Mar-22, 05:05 PM
i remeber that thing about the red shirts, aways the poor people who die or get beat up.

I feel sorry for santa.........

Hale_Bopp
2002-Mar-22, 06:00 PM
Wish I could remember which one...but in one of the Star Trek books, there is a scene where Kirk almost puts on a red shift one day. Apparentally, it was written for comic effect.

Rob

Conrad
2002-Mar-26, 05:13 AM
For the "Ensign Jones" effect, check out "Galaxy Quest"'s Guy Fleegman, who lives in mortal terror of being killed because ...he has a red shirt (sorta).
One thing about damage to the NG Enterprise that always puzzled me: in scenes on the bridge, whenever they take a pasting, they get showered with little rocks. What do they use as insulation on this bird?!

SeanF
2002-Mar-26, 12:11 PM
On 2002-03-26 00:13, Conrad wrote:
For the "Ensign Jones" effect, check out "Galaxy Quest"'s Guy Fleegman, who lives in mortal terror of being killed because ...he has a red shirt (sorta).

Great movie, and this particular running joke was absolutely hilarious - it led to two of the best lines in the movie:

"Let's get out of here before those things kill Guy."

and

"Do any of you ever watch the show?"

Martian Jim
2002-Apr-09, 10:02 AM
he could stain it by putting it in a washing machine full of white cloths making it pink

SeanF
2002-Apr-09, 11:19 AM
On 2002-04-09 06:02, Martian Jim wrote:
he could stain it by putting it in a washing machine full of white cloths making it pink

Nah, washing reds with whites makes the whites turn pink, but it leaves the reds red . . .

David Hall
2002-Apr-09, 12:01 PM
On 2002-04-09 07:19, SeanF wrote:
[quote]
Nah, washing reds with whites makes the whites turn pink, but it leaves the reds red . . .

What is this, the Bad Laundry Bulletin Board? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ToSeek
2002-Apr-09, 12:03 PM
On 2002-03-22 13:00, Hale_Bopp wrote:
Wish I could remember which one...but in one of the Star Trek books, there is a scene where Kirk almost puts on a red shift one day. Apparentally, it was written for comic effect.

Rob

Kirk in a red shift would be pretty funny....

Mr. X
2002-Apr-09, 02:37 PM
I have never seen little rocks, but insulation? I mean we all know it went the way of the fuse. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Jiggs
2002-Apr-18, 02:38 AM
If a space ship is going to travel very fast, near or beyond the speed of light, it would need some mechanism for plowing through cosmic dust not to mention micro and larger meteorites. Hence the shelds. They do double duty protecting the ship from weird weapons. Love that smoke, makes trouble shooting a snap.

Martian Jim
2002-Apr-23, 10:31 AM
On 2002-04-17 22:38, Jiggs wrote:
If a space ship is going to travel very fast, near or beyond the speed of light, it would need some mechanism for plowing through cosmic dust not to mention micro and larger meteorites. Hence the shelds. They do double duty protecting the ship from weird weapons. Love that smoke, makes trouble shooting a snap.

actually its the DEFLECTOR DISH that dose the job of deflecting dust+metorites, etc.

i wonder if it can pick up sky as well?
while the crew are too busy watching sky sports on the view screen they dont realise that theres klingons aproaching the ship

Chuck
2002-May-04, 03:33 PM
I've been watching Star Trek, Voyager reruns again which refreshed my memory about how they send the doctor on away missions using his mobile emitter and risk losing him. Why didn't they ever leave a backup copy of him in the ship's main computer? There must be room since that's where he normally resides.

I guess it's less dramatic if he's in no real danger, but extreme stupidity by the crew greatly reduces the plot's credibility.

Roy Batty
2002-May-05, 10:13 PM
Ahh, but since he became more 'human' dont you see the moral dilema in what would be essentially cloning him? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Conrad
2002-May-07, 09:20 AM
On 2002-05-05 18:13, Roy Batty wrote:
Ahh, but since he became more 'human' dont you see the moral dilema in what would be essentially cloning him? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

The Emergency Hologrammatic Doctor is the best - in fact the only good - thing about Voyager! he should have a series of his own and I would watch it faithfully. I am greatly disappointed that he doesn't have a starring role in "Enterprise".

Martian Jim
2002-May-14, 11:35 AM
dr having his own series?

the medical ship of doom captained by the former voyager doctor whoes cunning plan of attack is to bore the enemy to death with his medical skills. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Mr. X
2002-May-14, 04:13 PM
Well at least he's somewhat brilliant and actually genuinely amusing at times. Way better than the rest of idiots.

My only question is did Starfleet gather up as many imbeciles as possible and stack them in Voyager, making sure they'd be stranded forever? Surely they had no idea we'd be forced to watch them, or better yet change channel.

Instead of being sent far away, couldn't that damn ship have blown up instead, all hands lost? Man I would love that one!

And can someone explain to me WHY the Borg would effectively try to WEAKEN their collective by assimilating such a bunch of idiots? Your distinctiveness will be added to our own? NO THANK YOU! Shouldn't the borg try to destroy Voyager instead? Well they should!

*crying* Why didn't they die! I wanted them to die!

SeanF
2002-May-14, 05:13 PM
Hmmm . . . I want to be sitting behind Mr. X in the theatre for the new Star Trek movie when Admiral Kathryn Janeway makes her cameo appearance . . . /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Chip
2002-May-14, 07:11 PM
I'd watch a series about the Pakleds. It could be called Star Trek VIII - Make it Go!

Now members of the Federation, each week the Pakleds set off on their five year mission:
To get "stuff".
To meet smart people.
To be strong.
To smile.
To make it go!

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chip on 2002-05-16 12:26 ]</font>

Chuck
2002-May-15, 12:06 AM
If sentient holograms and computer programs are given human rights as they did, or seemed about to do, in Star Trek, Voyager then program copying would be the way to go for them. The Doctor could send a copy of his program to a thousand other computers and get a thousand more voters who think like he does.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chuck on 2002-05-15 18:29 ]</font>

Mr. X
2002-May-16, 06:53 PM
Are there votes in the UFoP?

Just seems to me like it's one huge state with some dictator in place.

Silas
2002-May-16, 08:31 PM
On 2002-05-16 14:53, Mr. X wrote:
Are there votes in the UFoP?

Just seems to me like it's one huge state with some dictator in place.

The "Federation Council" makes the rules. How are they selected? It appears to be up to the individual members. The Vulcans appear to have a hereditary nobility, for instance. (Although there are indications that this is not acceptable by Federation Law... Hm...)

Pretty decentralized, overall, or so it appears...

Silas

Chip
2002-May-16, 09:02 PM
On 2002-05-16 16:31, Silas wrote:
"The "Federation Council" makes the rules. How are they selected? It appears to be up to the individual members. The Vulcans appear to have a hereditary nobility, for instance. (Although there are indications that this is not acceptable by Federation Law... Hm...)"
Silas

There's a line in an early Star Trek where Capt. Kirk basically says: "I'll take that under advisement...when this becomes a democracy." (i.e. This isn't a democracy.)

He may be referring to the UFP, or just to his ship...or both. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chip on 2002-05-16 17:03 ]</font>

Mr. X
2002-May-17, 05:09 AM
LOL! Didn't know that one Chip!

Although I think it might have been referring to his ship.

Though it does seem to me that the UFoP has a heavily militarized structure, with everybody with ranks... doesn't seem to be very democratic to me. Obey your superiors or die seems to be how it works in the UFoP. (Especially since I remember Janeway from Voyager say that she would have crewmembers hung...Ye gods, back to the dark ages)

This could end up being like Star Wars, with Rebels trying to destroy the Evil Empire of the UFoP.

I haven't seen this in Star Trek episodes, but what happens when a planet wishes to "leave" the UFoP? They just let it go? Yeah, right... if they wanted to leave the federation to join, oh, the cardassians or the romulan star empire...

The UFoP is kinda ridiculous to me. I mean, they arrive to crummy planets populated with idiots and ask them to join them into a federation they've never heard about with a huge armed starship behind them. Basically to me that seems like an army officer disembarking in some faraway third-world country with 20 legions (or however they're called nowadays, long live the Roman Empire!) and hundreds of tanks behind him and says "So, will you be joining us?".

And what is Star Trek supposed to be anyway? A perfect futuristic world? Sounds pretty crappy to me, I mean they even forgot how to make fuses for crying out loud! Their world is filled with violence, destruction, death...and dictatorships /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr. X on 2002-05-17 01:10 ]</font>

Chip
2002-May-18, 06:53 AM
Mr. X wrote:
LOL! Didn't know that one Chip!

Chip:
It's in "The Corbomite Maneuver"
(How do I know that?! I must be a geek.)

Mr. X:
Although I think it might have been referring to his ship.

Chip:
With Kirk, yes.

Mr. X:
Though it does seem to me that the UFoP has a heavily militarized structure, with everybody with ranks... doesn't seem to be very democratic to me. Obey your superiors or die seems to be how it works in the UFoP.

Chip:
As they get to the time of Star Trek - The Next Generation they make an uneasy friendship with the Klingons, (as predicted by the Organians,) and discover that they are both similar. i.e. Warlike. But the UFP is more like the Allies in WWII, warlike but usually with a just cause.

Mr. X:
(Especially since I remember Janeway from Voyager say that she would have crew members hung...Ye gods, back to the dark ages)

Chip:
I steer clear of Voyager most of the time, though I liked the old fashioned episode about the macrovirus. That was creepy.

Mr. X:
This could end up being like Star Wars, with Rebels trying to destroy the Evil Empire of the UFoP.

Chip:
That's what happens in "Babylon 5" - Earth government turns evil. Rebels were formally "company men & women" from Earth, now fighting Earth with alien help.
Star Trek began to do this with various
rebels too, in Deep Space 9 and Next Generation.

Mr. X:
I haven't seen this in Star Trek episodes, but what happens when a planet wishes to "leave" the UFoP? They just let it go? Yeah, right... if they wanted to leave the federation to join, oh, the cardassians or the romulan star empire...

Chip:
"Next Generation" touched on this in a few episodes.

Mr. X:
The UFoP is kinda ridiculous to me. I mean, they arrive to crummy planets populated with idiots and ask them to join them into a federation they've never heard about with a huge armed starship behind them. Basically to me that seems like an army officer disembarking in some faraway third-world country with 20 legions (or however they're called nowadays, long live the Roman Empire!) and hundreds of tanks behind him and says "So, will you be joining us?".

Chip:
They actually spy on more "primitive" worlds but don't interfere. They only ask space going civilizations if they want to join. What was great about the first Star Trek is that occasionally they'd discover that the "primitives" were more advanced then they were.

Mr. X:
And what is Star Trek supposed to be anyway? A perfect futuristic world? Sounds pretty crappy to me, I mean they even forgot how to make fuses for crying out loud! Their world is filled with violence, destruction, death...and dictatorships /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif.

Chip:
There was a two part "Next Generation" episode where they travel back in time and meet Mark Twain, who ends up on board the Enterprise and asks a lot of questions of Councilor Troy (who wouldn't?) anyway, she and others keep telling him how utopian everything is, and he keeps doubting them. It's great because Twain is right. There is good and bad in the future too. They're nice people but blind to the fact that there is corruption and war all around them. (Remember that this was written by the Star Trek writers. They're not complete dummies.)

I think "Babylon 5" does this even better from the start, and is more interesting as a TV Sci-fi series. There's a lot of silly stuff in Star Trek, but also here and there, some of the best Sci-Fi television. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chip on 2002-05-18 03:00 ]</font>

g99
2002-Jul-01, 10:02 PM
going wwwwaaayyyy back to the statement on painting the ship. If they did paint the ship blak it would help. I don't know how the ships sensors work, but i imagine it works like sonar by bouncing a beam off the ship and getting back the information. WEll if they find a VERY BLACK BLACK, like near black hole darkness, nuthing will be bounced back, the black will just absorb everything like a modertn day stealth fighter, also they can angle the ship so all of the beams bounce off at another angle(like the stealth fighter). So the only thing the bag guys will see are the engines and if those are way away from the main section of the ship, they are safe.

Also with the phasers: how do they work? i mean they cant be actual light because well, that travels at the speed of light, so there would be no way to dodge it. Plus instead of just making their chest glow or disintegrating them, wouldn't it just burn throught them and leave a big bloody (or cauterized?) hole?

Martian Jim
2002-Jul-08, 07:02 AM
i think they should make star ships with shiny metal. it reflects light and so reflects lazer beams.

Officer: SIR! our weapons keep bouncing back at us!

Catptain: right, cover them in water and wait 6 years for the ship to rust away

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Martian Jim on 2002-07-08 03:06 ]</font>

g99
2002-Jul-08, 08:18 PM
true, thee could make a ship out of metal, or they can make a ship out of a hollowed out richard simmons or barney. Nuthing ever seems to stop them.

David Hall
2002-Jul-08, 09:35 PM
Hey, finally a good use for Barney! I like it. But does he have enough structural integrity to be used in such a fashion?

(As a completely meaningless aside, I once had an instructor who worked as a researcher for the Barney writers. I respected her a lot. But it was hard to rectify my respect with the knowledge that she was connected to the purple evil one. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif )

g99
2002-Jul-11, 06:36 PM
We have now found new reasons for Predident Bush to outlaw cloning. If somehow a scientist learns how to clone Barney, then they can create a grnad army of indestructable machines made otu of hollowed out Barney shells. They will be unstopable! The only thing to do is to stop all further development of Barney type weapons of mass destruction! We must ralley against the Govenrment against producing Barney weapons. We coupld start a Purple war with all of the nations of the earth. WE must stop them!

Well I am getting a little off topic now. How do they project shields on the ship? Don't they need an opposing prjector on the other side? How do they stop the shiled an exact distance from the ship?

We have the technology to create a small scale shield system today. What we could to is set a sual layer system of magnetic fields, with both being negative or positive. once a object enters the field it will be polarized to that charge and then be reflected by the second shiled. The object would then bounce between the shilds untill it runs out of momentum.