PDA

View Full Version : Bob Berman in Astronomy Mag.

gethen
2003-Aug-26, 07:42 PM
Has anyone else read Bob Berman's column in the September issue of Astronomy magazine? It's devoted to dumb astronomy questions he's been asked, and he's asking readers to send in the dumbest questions they've been asked. Sounds like fun.
His offering as dumbest question? "What are all those little lights up in the sky?" :o

mike alexander
2003-Aug-26, 08:12 PM
Yes. Man, it's hard to beat that.

My mother, rest her soul, would sometimes ask me, while vaguely waving her hands, "How can they really know all that stuff up there?"

Humphrey
2003-Aug-27, 01:41 AM
In my college astronomy course we had a few people who had to ask the professor to repeat *twice* the correct order of the planets in our solar system.

AGN Fuel
2003-Aug-27, 02:03 AM
We had a lady ask just last week when observing Mars,

"Does Mars have a sun like the Earth does?"

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

OttoZork
2003-Aug-27, 02:19 AM

Thanks alot, now I have to clean off my monitor. #-o Lemonade really stings when coming out of the nose!

gethen
2003-Aug-27, 12:50 PM

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

I would say that's pretty close to Berman's best. Unbelievable.

Hamlet
2003-Aug-27, 01:58 PM

Thanks alot, now I have to clean off my monitor. #-o Lemonade really stings when coming out of the nose!

Yeah, well you should try hot coffee!!!

BobtheEnforcer
2003-Aug-28, 03:58 AM
My favorite was the guy who asked "how did they recover the satellite to get this video" after viewing the Power of Ten movie that went all the way to clusters of galaxies 10 billion light years away! It's amazing some people have such a limited understanding of how large the universe is.

BigJim
2003-Sep-01, 03:25 AM
An excellent article. I really love Berman's stuff, and this was among his best.