PDA

View Full Version : Apollo 13 mission emblem

CincySpaceGeek
2003-Aug-26, 11:15 PM
I thought GA was the best place to put this. For those of you into the symbolism behind mission patches, I was looking at Apollo 13's and was puzzled. Maybe y'all can help. I get the EX LUNA, SCIENTIA but the horses threw me. Why horses and why do 2 horses look up and one look down? Maybe there's an obscure link somewhere that explains the patches?

As a reference, here's a link to an image of the patch: http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/lunar/ap13patch_bg.gif

Archer17
2003-Aug-26, 11:26 PM
I won't pretend I knew this before I looked it up, here's (http://genedorr.com/patches/Apollo/Ap13.html) a link.

CincySpaceGeek
2003-Aug-26, 11:38 PM
:o DAMN!!! You guys are GOOD!

SpaceTrekkie
2003-Aug-27, 02:09 AM
ok i got the reason for the horses (proudly to say before the link) only because of the ride at Busch Gardens! i read the artical but i am still confused as to why on is looking down. could someone please explain?

Grey
2003-Aug-27, 02:18 AM
ok i got the reason for the horses (proudly to say before the link) only because of the ride at Busch Gardens! i read the artical but i am still confused as to why on is looking down. could someone please explain?
I don't think there's any symbolism in that specifically. Since they were intended to represent the god Apollo's horses, pulling the chariot of the sun across the sky, I think the horses are depicted charging wildly. When horses do that, they can toss their heads around, and I think that's all the artist was trying to depict.

[edited for spelling]

Archer17
2003-Aug-27, 02:28 AM
I agree with Grey, it looks the they took the essence of Lumen Winter's work and applied it to the patch (the horses Mr Winter did look like the ones on the patch.. the horse looked down on the patch because that's the way did Winter did it)
(Edited the stuff in parenthesis for clarity, deleted a dup post I did in error .. ain't I a mess? :-? )

Charlie in Dayton
2003-Aug-28, 04:20 AM
And in theory, if things had gone according to plan, two of them would have been on the Moon, looking up at the one left in orbit, who would have been looking down at them...right? #-o

Grey
2003-Aug-28, 05:40 AM
And in theory, if things had gone according to plan, two of them would have been on the Moon, looking up at the one left in orbit, who would have been looking down at them...right? #-o
That's true! :D

The human eye is not a time-exposure device. No matter what you're looking at, no matter what you're looking through, IT NEVER LOOKS LIKE THE PICTURES!
Wouldn't it be cool if it were, though? Especially if your eyes could do non-destructive reads and were pretty good at compensating for slight movements of your head. You could look at deep sky objects in your telescope and see them slowly build up in color, brightness, and detail as you watched!

snowcelt
2003-Aug-28, 05:44 AM
That's true! :D

The human eye is not a time-exposure device. No matter what you're looking at, no matter what you're looking through, IT NEVER LOOKS LIKE THE PICTURES!
Wouldn't it be cool if it were, though? Especially if your eyes could do non-destructive reads and were pretty good at compensating for slight movements of your head. You could look at deep sky objects in your telescope and see them slowly build up in color, brightness, and detail as you watched!

What! Your eyes can't? I better lay off the blotter. ](*,)

kucharek
2003-Aug-28, 06:48 AM

Good idea. Never heard of this and, as the patch was based on an already existing painting, surely not intentional. Could be a classical example of over-interpretation. You should ask Jim Lovell if he had ever this idea. Do you have an idea how to contact him?

tracer
2003-Aug-29, 01:21 AM
Jim Lovell might be kinda hard to get ahold of, what with him being the mission commander and the co-author of Lost Moon. You might be better off trying Fred Haise instead -- I think I've seen him interviewed on TV twice, tops, as compared with the skillions of times I've seen Lovell on TV.

kucharek
2003-Aug-29, 06:53 AM
He may try it by ways of http://www.lovellsoflakeforest.com/