PDA

View Full Version : Making the Best First Impression, with Aliens

Fraser
2008-Mar-14, 07:00 PM
Did you know the SETI Institute has a Director of Interstellar Message Composition? I did not know that. I guess it makes sense. If we're going to be communicating with aliens, we'll want to be careful about the words we choose. Get it right, and we've got extraterrestrial friends, here to uplift us to the [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2008/03/14/making-the-best-first-impression-with-aliens/)

Noclevername
2008-Mar-14, 10:00 PM
If they're so judgemental and superficial that seeing us in our bathrobe and underwear offends them, then they're just not as advanced as they claim. ;)

KaiYeves
2008-Mar-15, 12:55 AM
Careful communication can be very important- the phrases "May I hit you?" and "May I pay you?" are very close in pronunciation in Spanish.

EndeavorRX7
2008-Mar-15, 07:26 AM
Careful communication can be very important- the phrases "May I hit you?" and "May I pay you?" are very close in pronunciation in Spanish.

Yea...but do the aliens know spanish??? :think:

Chuck
2008-Mar-15, 04:23 PM
Anyone with sufficient money will be able to send them messages. They'll find out about our nuttier ideas soon enough.

Trakar
2008-Mar-15, 05:23 PM

Spreading, assorted dismembered chunks of their ambassadors about the boundaries of our claimed territory, should eventually make them realize that we "love them to pieces."

KaiYeves
2008-Mar-15, 06:46 PM
Yea...but do the aliens know spanish?
I intended that as an example of how important precise communication can be.

EndeavorRX7
2008-Mar-19, 03:27 AM
I intended that as an example of how important precise communication can be.

I know that :dance:

My point was how would they know any of our languages enough (precisely) to make that distinction? Maybe hit means something pleasant to them or nothing at all.

BigDon
2008-Mar-19, 05:48 AM
No, we just don't want a repeat of the purchase of Manhatten Island on an interstellar scale.