PDA

View Full Version : Good Astronomy on PBS "News Hour"

Donnie B.
2003-Aug-28, 02:08 PM
Last night, the PBS nightly News Hour with Jim McNeil featured a segment on the Mars opposition. It included a terrific interview with Neil deGrasse Tyson, who heads the Hayden Planetarium in New York and writes a monthly column in Natural History magazine.

Tyson is one of the new, young popularizers of science, who's stepping into the large boots of Sagan, Gould, and Asimov. (Our fearless leader is another!) He was outstanding on the News Hour -- enthusiastic, accurate, helpful, and accessible. He debunked the "only on the 27th" misconception, and suggested getting a pair of binoculars ("you can use them for sports the next day").

Astronomy, and science in general, needs more spokesmen like Tyson and Phil Plait!

The Bad Astronomer
2003-Aug-28, 08:24 PM
FWIW, on Panel 6 at this conference (http://www.nrao.edu/ccap/), I will be moderating Neil. :o

Donnie B.
2003-Aug-29, 10:17 PM
Hey, that's great! Looks like a good and worthy forum. The list of registered participants is impressive indeed.

How did it work out that you're moderating that panel? And what's the acronym "EPO"... something Public Outreach?

[Added] BTW, here's something you might mention to Dr. Tyson: I nearly dropped my subscription to Natural History after Stephen Jay Gould stopped writing his monthly column. It was Neil's column that made me decide to renew.