PDA

View Full Version : 'master list' of comets/asteroids/objects

flik-it
2008-Mar-17, 04:05 PM
Hi guys,

Im a complete amateur with astronomy (everything I know was from books and my own logic), so excuse the naivety and lack of know how in the scene of popular astronomy! But onto the topic..

Is there some sort of published list of all known comets/astroids/etc. out there I can read? preferably without paying a tonne.

I spotted something that looks like a comet in the constellation of capricornus the other week, and I could easily post my location and the rest of it and have someone here work it out for me. But I'd rather learn and do it myself.

Any help/direction/tips would be appreciated :)

Cheers
Flik-it

crosscountry
2008-Mar-17, 05:38 PM
I'm interested too. Most asteroids are very small and hard to find. I've had luck with one or two. Comets are easier but come around less often.

trinitree88
2008-Mar-17, 06:06 PM
flik-it. Good for you wanting to learn...try:http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/NEO/TheNEOPage.html

pete

StupendousMan
2008-Mar-17, 07:08 PM
Hi guys,
Is there some sort of published list of all known comets/astroids/etc. out there I can read? preferably without paying a tonne.

One good, large, free list can be found at the Minor Planet Center's website:

http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/iau/MPCORB.html

I spotted something that looks like a comet in the constellation of capricornus the other week, and I could easily post my location and the rest of it and have someone here work it out for me. But I'd rather learn and do it myself.

Any help/direction/tips would be appreciated :)

Sounds like you need to get yourself a planetarium program. There are many good ones, some expensive, some not. Starry Night, Stellarium, Carte du Ciel ... just do a little searching online, or read through a recent issue of Sky and Telescope or Astronomy magazine.

crosscountry
2008-Mar-17, 07:22 PM
Starry Night really helped me as I was learning.

flik-it
2008-Mar-18, 01:17 PM
Spot on,

Cheers for the direction and advice guys.

flik-it

publiusr
2008-Jun-30, 11:10 PM
Great links.