PDA

View Full Version : 2008... March Madness (Men's NCAA BBall Tourney)

Fazor
2008-Mar-20, 05:59 PM
Didn't see a thread yet, so thought I'd start one. Tourney officially got under way today. I have a bracket I fill out every year through the local American Legion pool, and I transfered the same bracket to an online pool being run on ESPN.com under the local sports talk show group.

Only three games underway so far, Mich St and Kansas are leading by margins big enough to all but garuntee the win, but I had picked Xavier(#3 seed) to beat #11 seeded Georgia, and they've been down by an average of 10 pts for the better chunk of the game. I had Xavier going fairly deep into the tourney too, as they normally make a pretty good showing in the tourney. Hope they can turn it around.

Oh well, many...many games left to mess up my bracket even further. This is about the only time of the year I actually like basket-ball.

Fazor
2008-Mar-20, 06:46 PM
Update: Xavier turned it around, and ended up winning by 12. Bracket saved....for now. :)

HenrikOlsen
2008-Mar-21, 01:48 AM
Threads merged. Let's try to keep this in one thread, ok?

ToSeek
2008-Mar-21, 03:23 AM
Threads merged. Let's try to keep this in one thread, ok?

I hope we're not going to get into a mod fight here, but opening a thread that started out talking about NCAA basketball and segued into major-league baseball gave me a headache. So I pulled them apart again.

On topic, someone talk to me about how #15 Belmont managed to come within a point of beating #2 Duke.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Mar-21, 04:05 AM
My apologies, coffee induced brainlessness on top of celebrating the equinox caused me to read BBall as baseball.

Ok, it was actually my complete and utter ignorance of all things ballgamey.

Maksutov
2008-Mar-21, 06:38 AM
I hope we're not going to get into a mod fight here, but opening a thread that started out talking about NCAA basketball and segued into major-league baseball gave me a headache. So I pulled them apart again.

On topic, someone talk to me about how #15 Belmont managed to come within a point of beating #2 Duke.Don't know how Belmont almost beat Duke except, perhaps, by taking a page from Princeton a few years back and using the backdoor cut. But I know how Duke beat Belmont: for the first half Duke was 11-for-15 from the charity stripe, while Belmont was 2-for-4 (15 of 21 and 10 of 15 respectively for entire game). As usual Krzyzewski had the officials in his back pocket, even though they weren't at Cameron.

I am a UConn fan through and through. On any given Saturday during the regular season, I always root for my Huskies and whoever is playing Duke. Keep your heads up, Belmont! You should have won!

Fazor
2008-Mar-21, 02:39 PM
I didn't watch any of the games that were on after I left work...I didn't realize Duke almost lost. Which hopefully shows weakness, 'caus I have them losing next weekend (but winning tomorrow...or sunday. Not sure when that game is).

I didn't fair too well yesterday, the 4 minor upsets I picked (this doesn't seem to be the year for upsets) all lost, but fortunatly the 4 teams I had wrong I picked to lose the next round, so it won't necessarily hurt me *too* much).

It's amazing how many close games / buzzer-beaters we get in the tourney, and that's what makes it (IMHO) fun to watch. College kids are still playing with heart (most of them anyway)...and the one-and-done nature of the tourney means everythings on the line every single game.

Jim
2008-Mar-21, 10:14 PM
I am a UConn fan through and through. ...

Condolences.

Western Kentucky upset Drake, and San Diego just beat UConn. Two upsets in the same bracket.

Texas won. :)

Maksutov
2008-Mar-22, 03:12 AM
Condolences.

Western Kentucky upset Drake, and San Diego just beat UConn. Two upsets in the same bracket.

Texas won. :)Thanks, Jim. It was a sad day.

It was one of those years where we fans never knew which Husky team would show up, the one that blew out Cincinnati and played like a team, or the one that lost twice to Providence and acted like each player was speaking a different language. Perhaps a silver lining is this will convince Thabeet and a few other players that they're not ready for the NBA.

Could be it's the basic UConn men's championship cycle: 1999, 2004, 2009...

Now the rooting shifts to the UConn women.

Meanwhile congrats re the Texas win!

jfribrg
2008-Mar-22, 04:57 AM
Villanova just beat Clemson. I predicted that (and it has nothing to do with the fact that I took my Master's at Villanova). My thoughts were that Villanova had beaten several ranked teams recently, and were low seeded because of mediocre play earlier in the season). Anyway, we are now guaranteed of having two 12 or 13 seeds making it to the round of 16. Don't know if that has ever happened before. Should be exciting.

Villanova is the lowest seed ever to win the Championship (in 1985). Should I even dare to think that they might beat their own record? Go Wildcats !!

Maksutov
2008-Mar-22, 10:55 AM
Rollie Massimino has to be smiling!

Maksutov
2008-Mar-22, 08:49 PM
Thank you, West Virginia!

(West Virginia 73, Duke 67)

Eta C
2008-Mar-23, 01:24 AM
Villanova just beat Clemson. I predicted that (and it has nothing to do with the fact that I took my Master's at Villanova). My thoughts were that Villanova had beaten several ranked teams recently, and were low seeded because of mediocre play earlier in the season). Anyway, we are now guaranteed of having two 12 or 13 seeds making it to the round of 16. Don't know if that has ever happened before. Should be exciting.

Villanova is the lowest seed ever to win the Championship (in 1985). Should I even dare to think that they might beat their own record? Go Wildcats !!

Ah, but the 5-12 game in notorious for upsets. You can almost bet that one will happen every year. The problem is picking which of the four 12 seeds will win. I may be wrong, but I believe a 12 has won every year since the tournament went to 64 teams. What was historical was the Tampa sub-regional where all of the lower (double digit) seeds won.

As far as Duke goes, it is alway a good day (IMO) when they lose. Same goes for Indiana which is reaping the rewards of hiring Kelvin Sampson.

The last double digit seed to make the Final Four was George Mason (of Fairfax VA in the Heart of Darkness) in 06. Ironically, they beat Connecticut to get there. Nice to see someone take Illinois' place as a choker in the tournament.

Of course, as an Illini I have no place to talk. This was a miserable season for us despite the run to the Big 10 tournament final. I figure I'm bound to win my office pool this year since I have no horse in the race.

When I think of Villanova winning that NC game against Georgetown I remember a photo of one of their players holding the ball up over his head. The first thing that came to my (and my brother's) mind was the line from the Harvard Lampoon parody of "Lord of the Rings" entitled "Bored of the Rings"

As Goodgulf stepped onto the bridge the passage echoed with an ominous dribble, dribble and a giant crowd of narcs burst forth. In their midst was a towering dark shadow too terrible to describe. In its hand it held a huge black globe and on its chest was written in cruel runes "Villanova."

"Aiyee," shouted Legolam. "A ballhog!"

Since then we've always referred to Villanova's teams as the Ballhogs or the "Cruel Runes".

So, with no Illini to cheer for, I can only pull for the Spartans and Badgers. Oh well. Better them than the Hosers. :)

Jim
2008-Mar-23, 02:16 AM
Two math majors at the College of Charleston, Neil Goodson and Colin Stevenson, were interviewed on NPR (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=88690008) Thursday. They ran a computer model to opredict how teams would do. They said Kansas would upset USC, which they did.

Lord Jubjub
2008-Mar-23, 07:57 PM
That's Kansas STATE, not Kansas (known as KU).

Jim
2008-Mar-23, 08:56 PM
Oops. Typed too fast.

Well, Wisconsin beat Kansas State, so I won't make that mistake again.

I'm disappointed in the Texas Aggies. They had UCLA on the ropes, and then fell apart. It was as though someone told them "You're beating the #1 seed" and they said "Huh?" and got nervous.

Oh, well. Texas beat Miami and goes to Houston.

Lord Jubjub
2008-Mar-24, 12:50 AM
Well, except for Arkansas (9) beating Indiana (8), the East bracket has been predictable and teams have proceeded as seeded. Michigan State (5) beating Pittsburgh (4) is the only upset in the South bracket and Michigan State is the highest seed in either the East or South brackets.

The Midwest and West brackets went off the tracks in the early going. Only three of the eight second-round games had both teams playing as seeded. None of the Sweet 16 matchups in those brackets are as seeded. There are two (12) seeds, a (10) seed, and a (7) seed.

jfribrg
2008-Mar-24, 01:32 PM
Villanova is still in it (at least until Friday). 49 down, 15 to go.

I checked, and I know that there hasn't been three double-digit seeds in the sweet 16 in at least the last 10 years. I'm wondering if it has ever happened before. Ditto with two 12-seeds making it this far in the same year.

Click Ticker
2008-Mar-24, 02:29 PM
Well, except for Arkansas (9) beating Indiana (8), the East bracket has been predictable and teams have proceeded as seeded. Michigan State (5) beating Pittsburgh (4) is the only upset in the South bracket and Michigan State is the highest seed in either the East or South brackets.

Pittsburgh drew the short straw there. If Michigan State hadn't been absolutely robbed by horrible officiating down the stretch against Wisconsin in the Big 10 tourny - they might have been a three or four seed easily. Bo Ryan (Wisconsin coach) has this thing where he gets a tech, but the refs follow it up by giving him a very favorable whistle for the rest of the game. Wisconsin attempted 18 more free throws than MSU in that game and made 12 more. MSU was whistled for 11 more fouls. MSU had four front court players foul out and Wisconsin had nobody with more than 3 fouls. Even with all that - MSU only lost by two in that game.

With that win, Illinois would've been an easy W for the Big 10 tournament championship and a likely three seed. But I'm not bitter or anything. All I ask is another final four appearance as a consolation prize. I think Memphis is the weakest #1 seed in the tourny playing in the weakest conference. It's a winnable game. MSU already beat Texas in Texas once this year. My Spartans have a real chance.

tlbs101
2008-Mar-24, 06:05 PM
Hey, my alma mater made it to the sweet-16 for the first time since 1949 (when there were only 16 teams invited to the tourney, btw).

Go WSU Cougs!

31 point blowout vs. Winthrop
20 point blowout vs. Notre Dame

If they can control the temp against UNC come Thursday like they did against ND, I don't see anything else stopping them to the final 4.

Jim
2008-Mar-24, 06:58 PM
MSU already beat Texas in Texas once this year.

That game was played in Michigan.

redshifter
2008-Mar-24, 07:03 PM
Hey, my alma mater made it to the sweet-16 for the first time since 1949 (when there were only 16 teams invited to the tourney, btw).

Go WSU Cougs!

31 point blowout vs. Winthrop
20 point blowout vs. Notre Dame

If they can control the temp against UNC come Thursday like they did against ND, I don't see anything else stopping them to the final 4.

I'll be rooting for the Cougs as well (even though I'm a Husky), but UNC looks like they're on a whole other level than ND or Winthrop. WSU plays awesome D, that's for sure. It'll have to be rock solid and mistake free to have a shot at beating UNC. It'll be a strength vs. strength matchup, UNC's talent might be the difference here.

Click Ticker
2008-Mar-24, 07:25 PM
MSU already beat Texas in Texas once this year.

That game was played in Michigan.

Sorry, I must have been thinking of the second loss Texas had against the Big 10 this year when they lost to Wisconsin in Texas. MSU beat Texas in Texas last year when they had Durant on the team. This year the MSU game was at the Palace of Auburn Hills. Not MSU's home court, but home court advantage none the less.

Overall - I like MSU's chances in that match up. Have to take care of Memphis first though.

farmerjumperdon
2008-Mar-24, 07:46 PM
I don't give Memphis much chance of getting to the Final Four. They've got 2 really good teams to beat to get there - - and are too much of a hot and cold team at the free throw line. I figure the odds of it not costing one of those games is slim.

I figured Kansas to be the other #1 seed not to make it; until half the other teams in that region decided to not show up!

UNC appears to be a true juggernaut. Is there any doubt Roy Williams is the new Dean of college basketball. He and Pitino seem to get the very most out of their players.

I'm cheering for the best #2 at the dance - - Tennessee. They should have been a one seed ahead of Kansas and Memphis.

I could be a homer and pull for Wisconsin, but their bruising style of half-court game doesn't usually translate into deep runs in the NCAA tourney.

Click Ticker
2008-Mar-28, 07:55 PM
Big game tonight. Tip off at nearly 10:00 PM. GO MSU!!!

Fazor
2008-Mar-28, 07:59 PM
Big game tonight. Tip off at nearly 10:00 PM. GO MSU!!!

On my bracket I have Memphis winning it all. But my bracket is...well, lets just say we're only to round 3 and there's way more red than green (ESPN highlights your wins/losses).

So I don't really have a chance anyway, so I'll probably root for MSU to represent for the big10. Wisc also. Would be awsome if by some miracle the two met in the championship...but I really don't see that happening.

Click Ticker
2008-Mar-28, 08:31 PM
On my bracket I have Memphis winning it all. But my bracket is...well, lets just say we're only to round 3 and there's way more red than green (ESPN highlights your wins/losses).

So I don't really have a chance anyway, so I'll probably root for MSU to represent for the big10. Wisc also. Would be awsome if by some miracle the two met in the championship...but I really don't see that happening.

I wouldn't mind that so much. State is way overdue for a win against Wisconsin - considering they were completely robbed last time by horrible officiating. How does Bo Ryan get those Big 10 refs in his back pocket? Izzo, for all he's accomplished, seems to get no respect from the officials during the conference season.

Jim
2008-Mar-29, 01:37 AM
Wow! Davidson upsets Wisconsin!

And - oh, yeah - Texas beats Stanford by 20.

What the heck is up with CBS? They opened tonight's coverage by interspersing game clips with clips from I Am Legend, playing up the survivor and legend status aspects. Did no one tell them how that movie ends?

Lord Jubjub
2008-Mar-29, 02:23 AM
Well, living in Houston means I should probably root for Texas. However, being a native Kansan, I'm hoping KU goes the distance.

Maksutov
2008-Mar-29, 09:22 AM
Wow! Davidson upsets Wisconsin!Remarkable. There's almost always a Cinderella.
And - oh, yeah - Texas beats Stanford by 20.WTG, Tejas! Way to beat (limps wrist) the Cardinal.

What the heck is up with CBS? They opened tonight's coverage by interspersing game clips with clips from I Am Legend, playing up the survivor and legend status aspects. Did no one tell them how that movie ends?Yeah, I know. Just another instance of the commercial channels imploding. May they all die.

Meanwhile, go Louisville, knock off #1!

Jim
2008-Mar-30, 09:41 PM
Rats.

crosscountry
2008-Mar-30, 11:27 PM
Texas.:boohoo:

crosscountry
2008-Mar-30, 11:28 PM
I don't give Memphis much chance of getting to the Final Four. They've got 2 really good teams to beat to get there - - and are too much of a hot and cold team at the free throw line. I figure the odds of it not costing one of those games is slim.

I figured Kansas to be the other #1 seed not to make it; until half the other teams in that region decided to not show up!

UNC appears to be a true juggernaut. Is there any doubt Roy Williams is the new Dean of college basketball. He and Pitino seem to get the very most out of their players.

I'm cheering for the best #2 at the dance - - Tennessee. They should have been a one seed ahead of Kansas and Memphis.

I could be a homer and pull for Wisconsin, but their bruising style of half-court game doesn't usually translate into deep runs in the NCAA tourney.

man, who would have predicted it would turn out the way it did.

CodeSlinger
2008-Mar-31, 12:15 AM
It's a real shame Davidson came so close yet so far away from an upset. I've really enjoyed watching Stephen Curry calmly shoulder the load and step up at the end of games. Very puzzled why he didn't take that last shot.

Maksutov
2008-Mar-31, 10:33 AM
It's a real shame Davidson came so close yet so far away from an upset. I've really enjoyed watching Stephen Curry calmly shoulder the load and step up at the end of games. Very puzzled why he didn't take that last shot.Here's what happened, per Pat Forde of ESPN:

Given the final possession with 16.8 seconds left, Davidson put the ball directly in Curry's mitts. Standard operating procedure for the Wildcats is to let Richards do the ballhandling while Curry snakes around screens for a shot. But Davidson didn't want to risk its superstar getting mobbed and never touching the ball with the season on the line, so Curry brought it upcourt.

Self countered by going with a four-guard lineup, telling his players to switch everything and eliminate the chance for a 3-pointer. It was a prescient move.

When Curry methodically brought the ball into the frontcourt and worked his way from left to right off a screen at the top of the key, Rush switched onto him and dogged him toward the sideline. Curry pulled up and Rush slipped to the floor, and for an instant, Davidson's dream scenario materialized: Steph Curry, incomparable shooter, had no one in his face.

But Curry was slightly off-balance after shaking Rush, and before he could square up, Collins was rushing at him. Then Rush was off the deck and in the air, as well. Curry's only option was a pass back to the center of the court to Richards.

Richards' final shot in a Davidson uniform was rushed. The clock expired while it was in the air, backboard rimmed in orange light as the ball closed in on the basket. Believers in miracles thought it had a chance. A terribly nervous man on his knees thought so, too.

"It looked like it had a real good chance to go in," Self said. "Of course, it was wide left. Then the horn blew. I was like, 'Why is the horn going off? I can't believe that 16 seconds has already passed.'" Complete article here (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3321325&sportCat=ncb).

Maksutov
2008-Mar-31, 10:36 AM
Rats.Sorry, Jim.

Looks like Memphis is for real, after all.

Click Ticker
2008-Mar-31, 02:17 PM
I heard the Michigan State team bus didn't make it to the arena until the second half and by that time the band was already down 20 plus to Memphis.

Oh well. There's always next year. Time to move on to Deee-troit Basket-ball!!! Pistons playoffs coming right up!

crosscountry
2008-Mar-31, 03:25 PM
yea, Texas never showed up either. The second half they scored better, but so did Memphis.

Fazor
2008-Mar-31, 03:57 PM
Well, any other year I'd be excited that 3 out of the 4 final four teams match my bracket....but the fact that those are about the only games I got right means my overall percentage is still awful. Oh well, I've been too busy to watch the games this year anyway.

sarongsong
2008-Apr-04, 04:05 PM
Geek Squad! http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
April 3, 2008
...three engineering professors at the Georgia Institute of Technology have created a computer ranking system, called LRMC, that consistently predicts NCAA basketball rankings more accurately than:
the AP poll of sportswriters, and
the ESPN/USA Today poll of coaches,
formulas (the Ratings Percentage Index),
other computer models (the Massey ratings and the Sagarin ratings),
and even the tournament seeds themselves...So which team does LRMC favor for the top spot this year? It’s chosen Kansas...
physorg (http://physorg.com/news126450502.html)

Jim
2008-Apr-07, 02:59 PM
Well, tonight is The Big Night!

There was a mention on sports today that Saturday was disappointing. All four #1 seeds made it to the Final Four, the semis should have been thrill-packed, closely fought, nail biting games... and both were double-digit blowouts.

So, how does the final play out?

CodeSlinger
2008-Apr-07, 03:17 PM
My guess? Kansas over Memphis. Memphis's dribble-drive motion offense relies heavily on the players, especially the two guards Rose and CDR, being able to create and make plays by themselves. Rose and CDR have been a dynamic duo thus far, cutting through opposing defenses. But unlike most opponents Memphis faced thus far, Kansas just might have the personnel to match up against Memphis' two super-sized guards. Also, the pressure of playing on the biggest stage in college basketball may impair Memphis players' ability to execute their free-wheeling offense. Kansas' defense was able to overcome UNC's high-powered offense for a win Saturday, and I think they'll pull off the same for another win tonight.

crosscountry
2008-Apr-07, 08:19 PM
I concur. Team play is what wins the big game. Stars can get you there, but there are 5 players on the court for a reason.

Lord Jubjub
2008-Apr-08, 02:11 AM
That KU-UNC game was deceptive. I cringed when the announcer said "game over" with about 5 minutes left in the first half. What one half giveth, the other half can take away.

2008-Apr-08, 03:31 AM
Overtime.

Kansas Memphis final

Maksutov
2008-Apr-08, 03:33 AM
And no Dorsey for Memphis.

crosscountry
2008-Apr-08, 02:08 PM
what a way to end a basketball season. 3 pointer in the last seconds to tie and send into overtime!

Fazor
2008-Apr-08, 02:24 PM
Sounds like it was a good game (I was watching my Indians, and it wasn't a good game). It amazes me how many tourney games are decided by one or two points, and how many are sent into OT. It's the only time of the year I find basketball entertaining.

CodeSlinger
2008-Apr-08, 02:32 PM
That was such a clutch 3 :)

I can't help but feel that Dorsey let his team down again. After he fouled out, Memphis just didn't have any answers for Kansas' big men. I think this is what allowed Kansas to control the game during OT and go home with the win.

crosscountry
2008-Apr-08, 04:23 PM
I concur. Team play is what wins the big game. Stars can get you there, but there are 5 players on the court for a reason.

just to drive the point home.

Graybeard6
2008-Apr-09, 05:52 AM
My wife called it after Memphis lost to Tennessee; with almost no time left, put Memphis on the foul line. They have no clutch foul shooters. And she wanted Memphis to win!

crosscountry
2008-Apr-09, 02:52 PM
can't layup or dunk a foul shot :/

Jim
2008-Apr-09, 03:10 PM
Free throws are one of those mundane activities that simply don't appeal to certain folks. You make the highlight reels with a slam dunk over the defender, or a layup behind your back, or a three-pointer with time expiring. Free throws just aren't sexy.

And, as a result, they aren't practiced nearly enough for players to get really good at them.

Heck, even if any of the Memphis players had sunk that one more free throw and won the game, that's not what would make the highlights.

Of course, that last player missing one did.

Oh, congratulations to Tennessee on winning the Women's NCAA Championship... and hitting 68% of their FTs to Stanford's 50%.

Fazor
2010-Mar-17, 04:41 PM
Well, it's not 2008 Madness anymore, but I just filed my 2010 Tourney bracket. I'm not thrilled with it, but we'll see where it goes.

A radio personality the other day (sorry, don't recall which), had an interesting point that is true for me as well; Out of all the sports tournaments, the college basketball one is the only one that gets less interesting as the rounds progress.

I love the first weekend. It's fast-paced and crazy and fun. (And gives me a great two-day 'vacation' from work, as they now stream the games live online ;)). By the championship, however, I really don't care. (In fairness, I typically don't care about any championship game; NFL, MLB, NHL, MLS, etc. NCAA Football is the usual exception).

redshifter
2010-Mar-17, 06:29 PM
One thing about this year's tourney is that there don't seem to be as many first round games matching mid-major schools against the 'power conference' schools. These are the type of games that can be the most fun, and where cinderella teams are born. Now we'll get a lot of mid-majors getting destroyed in the upper rounds.

I'm just glad my U of WA Huskies played their way in by winning the Pac 10 tourney. Go Dawgs!

Fazor, I dunno if you're an Ohio St. fan or not, they've got a good chance to get very deep into the tourney.

Fazor
2010-Mar-17, 06:44 PM
Fazor, I dunno if you're an Ohio St. fan or not, they've got a good chance to get very deep into the tourney.

Of course I am! I only picked them to go to the sweet 16 (have them losing there to Tenn). It's the fan's bet; if I'm correct in that I'll be disappointed by a loss to a team we really should beat, then I get the points in the pool. If they prove me wrong, then getting my bracket wrong won't be as bitter, since I can say "Oh well, at least the Buck's won!"

. . . of course, they could always lose in the first or second round, both messing up my bracket and dissappointing me as a fan. But that would mess up a lot of people's bracket, so the hit to my points wouldn't be as bad.

I picked Kansas and Kentucky in the championship. And as doubtful as I am that Kentucky will even make it that far, I picked them over Kansas because no matter what a team looks like going into the tourney each year, I can never bring myself to pick the "favorite".

That's why I say my hopes aren't very high. But if it pans out, then good!

Click Ticker
2010-Mar-17, 08:03 PM
Interesting. No 2009 thread. Michigan State made the final game and I can't believe I had nothing to say about it.

My hopes are not so high this year. They've got good athletes, but turn the ball over way too often and aren't nearly consistent enough on free throws. Three point shooting leaves a lot to be desired as well. Their real strengths are points in the paint and rebounding. I hope they make the sweet 16, but I'm not holding my breath.

tlbs101
2010-Mar-17, 08:59 PM
One thing about this year's tourney is that there don't seem to be as many first round games matching mid-major schools against the 'power conference' schools. These are the type of games that can be the most fun, and where cinderella teams are born. Now we'll get a lot of mid-majors getting destroyed in the upper rounds.

I'm just glad my U of WA Huskies played their way in by winning the Pac 10 tourney. Go Dawgs!

They'll never get past UNM (assuming Udub gets past Marquette). Go Lobos!

BTW, my alma mater is WSU and even though they are not in the tournament, it just gives me another reason to root for the Lobos, assuming UW and UNM play Saturday. (I have also taken graduate classes at UNM.)

redshifter
2010-Mar-17, 10:16 PM
They'll never get past UNM (assuming Udub gets past Marquette). Go Lobos!

BTW, my alma mater is WSU and even though they are not in the tournament, it just gives me another reason to root for the Lobos, assuming UW and UNM play Saturday. (I have also taken graduate classes at UNM.)

I have not seen UNM play this year, so I have no idea how they would match up with UW (assuming both UW and UNM win their first round games). I'd love a sweet 16 run, and IMO the Huskies are capable of making it that far, though they are just as capable of being a 'one and done' team. Or losing to UNM in the second round.

WSU will be a lot better next year: good young core of players and a good new HC (Head Coach). This was the new HC's first year at WSU, and WSU played pretty poorly toward the end of the season. They'll be a lot better next year IMO, maybe even make it to the NCAA tourney.

The WSU football team will probably continue to suck, and that's not a UW homer call, it's the sad truth (I grew up in E. Wa, so I have a soft spot for the Cougs, even though I went to UW).

crosscountry
2010-Mar-17, 10:35 PM
I wish it were easier to route for Texas this year. :(

Kaptain K
2010-Mar-18, 02:35 AM
Second that!

A.DIM
2010-Mar-18, 12:55 PM
Go Big Blue!

The hunt is on for yet another championship!

:D

jfribrg
2010-Mar-18, 07:47 PM
This is usually the point where I brag about how easy it will be for Villanova to win the championship. This year, however, I have no such illusions. I can't believe that they are a 2 seed. As I write this, they just squeaked by their #15 first round opponent. Hopefully things will get better, but they haven't played well in over a month now. I also can't believe that the Pres has them going to the final 4. I sure hope he's right.

Fazor
2010-Mar-18, 07:50 PM
Now you tell me. I had them going deep into the tourney (Elite 8. with a loss to Duke). Watching that game this afternoon, I was almost convinced they wouldn't get past Robert Morris! Ugh.

I always pick Nova to do well, because regardless of their season, they tend to show up for the tourney. I figured if they were a #2 seed this year, they'd really be a force.

Have I mentioned, "Ugh!" ?

jfribrg
2010-Mar-18, 08:09 PM
Now you tell me. I had them going deep into the tourney (Elite 8. with a loss to Duke). Watching that game this afternoon, I was almost convinced they wouldn't get past Robert Morris! Ugh.

I always pick Nova to do well, because regardless of their season, they tend to show up for the tourney. I figured if they were a #2 seed this year, they'd really be a force.

Have I mentioned, "Ugh!" ?

They only need to squeak by two more teams and your bracket is fine.

Fazor
2010-Mar-18, 08:12 PM
. . . and your bracket is fine.
I wouldn't say that. Watching the other games that were or are currently on, my hopes aren't all that high to begin with ;)

jfribrg
2010-Mar-19, 01:06 PM
They only need to squeak by two more teams and your bracket is fine.

Good news. Nova's second round opponent is a 10 seed. There's still hope.

Fazor
2010-Mar-19, 01:57 PM
Well that was ugly yesterday. With 16 games played, I've only gotten 9 right and 8 wrong. (My math, for once, is fine. Out of the 7 teams that lost, I only had one going on to win the next round as well, which they obviously can't do now).

What I thought was going to be a straight-forward boring tournament year is starting to look interesting. The only silver lining, I guess, is that a lot of these losses make some of my predicted upsets later on in the tourney seem a little more likely.

OU beating Georgetown? I could have filled out 100 different brackets and never picked that. I should be happy for my Alma mater, I guess. But I still think it was just a wacky fluke. Knock off Tennessee and then we'll talk. :)

tlbs101
2010-Mar-19, 04:17 PM
Texas.:boohoo:

Will there be a Wake for Texas' early demise, this year? That was a tough loss for the longhorns.

redshifter
2010-Mar-19, 08:38 PM
Woo Hoo! My U of WA Huskies upset Marquette in the final seconds of the game! Big East had a tough day yesterday...

Jim
2010-Mar-19, 10:34 PM
I wish it were easier to route for Texas this year. :(

Easier "route" or easier "to root?"

No matter... One and done. :sad:

Eta C
2010-Mar-20, 09:46 PM
Well, since the Illini are battling it out in the NIT I can't boast too much about the NCAA. On the other hand I'm enjoying watching the Big East go down in flames. Villanova barely escaped from Robert Morris, but there was no bounce back for them and St Mary's of Moraga CA knocked them out. That's half of their vaunted 8 entries including a 2 and 3 seed (there was much mourning in the Heart of Darkness after Georgetown collapsed against Ohio U). Anyway, while hoping for Illinois to make it to MSG and the NIT final four I'll be pulling for the rest of the Big 10 to move on, even if that means rooting for (Oh how I hate) Ohio State.

Donnie B.
2010-Mar-21, 12:27 AM
What? What? Northern Iowa???

redshifter
2010-Mar-21, 12:44 AM
Woo Hoo!! My U of WA Huskies crushed U of NM and advance! Sweet 16 baby!

crosscountry
2010-Mar-21, 10:34 PM
Easier "route" or easier "to root?"

No matter... One and done. :sad:

they shouldn't have even been there. and I mistyped, but route was what we saw:mad:

Fazor
2010-Mar-21, 11:16 PM
Good job Ohio State! Slow start but strong finish.

redshifter
2010-Mar-25, 08:14 PM
Man, I'm really pumped for tonights Sweet 16 matchup of UW vs. West Virginia. I'm really hoping UW wins, but WVU is really good. UW will need to run up and down the court and wear them down. I don't see UW winning in a half-court grind fest.

danscope
2010-Mar-26, 02:32 AM
Well done, University of Rhode Island Rams. Very well done!!! :)
Good luck in NY.

Dan

blueshift
2010-Mar-26, 09:11 PM
What? What? Northern Iowa???Actually, I was hoping for some team that is even further off the wall than they are. Here in Illinois back in 1966, Maine East High School had a 3-18 record for the finish of their annual schedule before the state tournament started the following week. Sister school Maine West had the same record and both were bottom and next to bottom seeds in their regional.

Get this. Both got hot and swept state powers aside to play one another in the regional championship game. The first 12 shots of the game taken found nothing but net and Maine East won in overtime. Maine East then stunned North Chicago in the sectional, another state power and only lost to New Trier at the sectional championship game.

Talk about playing over their heads. Too bad that can't happen in the NCAA since such teams could never get a bid.

redshifter
2010-Mar-26, 09:24 PM
Actually, I was hoping for some team that is even further off the wall than they are. Here in Illinois back in 1966, Maine East High School had a 3-18 record for the finish of their annual schedule before the state tournament started the following week. Sister school Maine West had the same record and both were bottom and next to bottom seeds in their regional.

Get this. Both got hot and swept state powers aside to play one another in the regional championship game. The first 12 shots of the game taken found nothing but net and Maine East won in overtime. Maine East then stunned North Chicago in the sectional, another state power and only lost to New Trier at the sectional championship game.

Talk about playing over their heads. Too bad that can't happen in the NCAA since such teams could never get a bid.

Well, it's true such teams would never get a NCAA bid, they are high school teams after all :) However, lots of no-name colleges get bids, their team gets hot late in the season and they win their conference tourney for an automatic bid. Take Ohio for example. 7-9 in conference play, no shot at all at an NCAA bid. Then they go on a roll and win their conference tourney. Automatic NCAA bid.

Fazor
2010-Mar-26, 09:47 PM
Well, it's true such teams would never get a NCAA bid, they are high school teams after all :) However, lots of no-name colleges get bids, their team gets hot late in the season and they win their conference tourney for an automatic bid. Take Ohio for example. 7-9 in conference play, no shot at all at an NCAA bid. Then they go on a roll and win their conference tourney. Automatic NCAA bid.

And a huge upset in the first round! Then, as expected, creamed in the second round.

I'm getting ready to head over to a buddy's house to watch the OSU game. Fingers crossed!

redshifter
2010-Mar-26, 09:59 PM
Good luck tonight! My Huskies got killed on the boards last night against West Virginia. They forced the Huskies to play a slow down type of game, which suited them much better than the Huskies.

The Xavier/KSU game last night was a real blast to watch. Been a fun tourney so far, I just wish I still had a dog (Husky :))in this fight...

Fazor
2010-Mar-27, 11:30 AM
Ugh. What a poorly officiated game (at least it was evenly poorly officiated. I'm not claiming OSU was singled out by any means).

Still, OSU could have had it easy had they not inexplicably decided to spend a solid 10 minutes in the second half taking only quick jumpers from the perimiter, rather than drive the lane when they know that if a defender so much as breathed on them it'd be called a foul. Tennessee figured it out.

Oh well, congratulations Tennessee. I had Tenn beating OSU this round on my bracket anyway, so I can't say I was surprised. If the rest of my bracket wasn't all shot to hell, I'd be happy about getting this game right. :)

blueshift
2010-Mar-28, 05:24 AM
So Butler beats Kansas State and West Virginia knocks out Kentucky. Good on both counts. That makes Duke the only surviving 1st seed in the tourney. I hope Baylor knocks them right out of it.

crosscountry
2010-Mar-28, 11:27 PM
oh man, KY lost? my buddies up there will be dissappointed.

Click Ticker
2010-Mar-29, 03:11 PM
Michigan State, back in the final four. Thanks, Tennessee. I didn't like our chances against Ohio State. We already lost them at home once this year. Give Izzo one day to prepare for an unfamiliar opponent and I like his chances. Ohio State would have been too familiar.

Butler is the real deal. I don't know if MSU will make the championship game given how banged up they are, but if they do, I sure hope WVU takes out Duke.

Fazor
2010-Mar-29, 03:26 PM
I quit following it. With the defeat of Kentucky, my bracket was officially put to pasture. It had been in hospice since round 1 anyway.

I'd love to see Michigan State win it to keep it in the Big 10, but I'm not very optimistic.

redshifter
2010-Mar-29, 05:29 PM
I'm not a big Michigan St. fan, but can Tom Izzo coach or what?