PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye to "The History Channel"

NEOWatcher
2008-Mar-20, 06:56 PM
In name only though. And even then, only slightly.

The’ and ‘channel’ are History for network (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23726301/)

Make that History. The cable network quietly dropped “the” and “channel” from its name recently, claiming History for itself.
Once dubbed “The Hitler Channel” for all of its World War II documentaries, History has switched to a more “immersive” style that tries to show rather than tell, she said. Adventure-seeking is in. Sitting in an armchair telling war stories is out.

Anyway, it just doesn't sound right in conversation. How do you refer to it without mentioning it's a channel?

This prof says it for me...

“It’s not exactly history, is it?” said Sean Wilentz, award-winning history professor at Princeton University.
“Anybody who thinks that there’s only one place to go for history is badly mistaken,” Wilentz said. “Why are they doing that? I don’t know. Especially at a time they are moving away from history? I don’t get it.”

Now; can we get an article where they ask that of the History channel executives?

Nadme
2008-Mar-20, 07:06 PM
Once dubbed “The Hitler Channel” for all of its World War II documentaries

And here I thought a personal friend had made that up.

History has switched to a more “immersive” style that tries to show rather than tell, she said. Adventure-seeking is in. Sitting in an armchair telling war stories is out.

Let me guess: Dog the Bounty Hunter, Gene Simmons Family Jewels, 12 Prom Queens will make up the programming? :eek:

I sure hope THC doesn't go STUPID, but as most people tend to prefer dumbed-down stuff...

WaxRubiks
2008-Mar-20, 07:08 PM
those that control the past, control the future

Jason
2008-Mar-20, 07:38 PM
"Ah, the Luftwaffe. The Washington Generals of the History Channel." -Homer Simpson

jt-3d
2008-Mar-20, 07:50 PM
I heard it last night- '...on History'. It just sounds weird. Sounds like it's just going to be another tabloid channel. I watched the exciting Axe Men episode 1 show last night. I think DULL best describes it. They try to make it interesting by using quick scene cuts and jumping from one crew to another every five minutes. It's still just guys cutting down trees. Monster Quest? I can and did stop watching it. But they still have some good shows on so I'll stick with it a bit longer.

I happen to like the WWII shows. Oh well.

Gillianren
2008-Mar-20, 08:25 PM
I happen to like the WWII shows. Oh well.

Me, too--and at least it is history, which the loggers show or the truckers show cannot claim.

I will continue calling it "The History Channel," though I still call "TLC" by its old name, despite the fact that there's essentially no learning there anymore.

redshifter
2008-Mar-20, 10:48 PM
I enjoyed the WWII documentaries as well. Heck, I could probably watch a channel that showed nothing but WWII documentaries.

I wonder if 'History' plans on covering history much any more?

Noclevername
2008-Mar-21, 12:37 AM
To commemorate this change of focus, they can show the history of the Shark Jump.

WaxRubiks
2008-Mar-21, 07:36 AM
put the 's' at the beginning of the new channel name, and that will probably say it all for the future of the channel, and the other documentary channels.

novaderrik
2008-Mar-21, 09:26 AM
Me, too--and at least it is history, which the loggers show or the truckers show cannot claim.

it could be argued that the ice road truckers of the last few decades have helped open up more of the frozen northern "wasteland" to humanity, which has indeed Historically helped Canada in more than a few ways.
as for the Axmen- well, if it wasn't for people out cutting down trees, we wouldn't have many of the things we take for granted in today's world- the lumberjack as shown on that show is a modern version of a historical figure.
i actually like those kinds of shows- they are full of some of the best characters on tv, and they are 100% real people- the kinds of people i've known all my life.

jt-3d
2008-Mar-21, 10:41 AM
i actually like those kinds of shows- they are full of some of the best characters on tv, and they are 100% real people- the kinds of people i've known all my life.

Not to downplay the role loggers and truckers play. The ax men guys have certaintly been beat up during their careers and hey, we need to wood. They did touch on the history of the ice road and what I saw, they touched on the history of logging too. But any way you slice it, Ax Men and Ice Road truckers are reality shows, not history shows.

I guess they changed the name so that it didn't sound like all they played was history shows. Sort of like TruTv or whatever the court channel changed to.

novaderrik
2008-Mar-21, 10:52 AM
Not to downplay the role loggers and truckers play. The ax men guys have certaintly been beat up during their careers and hey, we need to wood. They did touch on the history of the ice road and what I saw, they touched on the history of logging too. But any way you slice it, Ax Men and Ice Road truckers are reality shows, not history shows.

I guess they changed the name so that it didn't sound like all they played was history shows. Sort of like TruTv or whatever the court channel changed to.

history isn't something that happened in the past- history is always unfolding. reality shows, by definition, if not practice-- are sort of historical documentaries that are unfolding in "real time".
i love the "reality shows" like Ice Road Truckers and Ax men on History and Dirty Jobs on Discovery. shows like "Modern Marvels" that show how things are built and manufactured are also really cool to me. i also used to like watching all the "gearhead reality shows" on Discovery and TLC like American Chopper, American HotRod, and Monster Garage back when i could watch them. they show real people doing real things- and, since i consider myself to be a "real person" that does those kinds of things for fun and for money, i enjoy watching them on tv. another good side effect is that kids might see these shows and realize that there is nothing wrong with putting in an honest day's work for an honest day's pay, and working with your hands and body can have rewards beyond just the paycheck you get every week- which can be enough to live a pretty comfortable life if you're good at what you do, since almost every job that they show pays pretty dang good- well, maybe not some of the jobs Mike Roe does, but that's kind of the point of the show.

jt-3d
2008-Mar-21, 11:03 AM
True enough I suppose but when you think history, most people think of the past. And while I don't watch the likes of survivor, I did watch Ice Road Truckers and if I ever remember to set it up, I'll keep watching Ax men. While they're not terribly exciting, they are interesting enough.

I doubt I could get my kids to watch though. It might do them some good.

fotobits
2008-Mar-21, 12:44 PM
To commemorate this change of focus, they can show the history of the Shark Jump.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

fotobits
2008-Mar-21, 12:50 PM
history isn't something that happened in the past- history is always unfolding.
From my Dictionary Widget:

History (noun) 1) the study of past events, particularly human affairs 2) the whole series of past events connected with something or someone 3) a continuous, typically chronological, record of important or public events or of a particular trend or institution.

As you can see history is, by definition, something that happened in the past. "Ice Road Truckers" and "Axe Men" are not history shows, they are journalism.

Larry Jacks
2008-Mar-21, 01:35 PM

Sometimes you jump the shark and other times it jumps you (http://images.google.com/images?q=%2B%22air+jaws%22&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1).

I think the late historian Will Durant would agree with you. History isn't just about "important people doing stuff", either.

Civilization is a stream with banks. The stream is sometimes filled with blood from people killing, stealing, shouting and doing the things historians usually record, while on the banks, unnoticed, people build homes, make love, raise children, sing songs, write poetry and even whittle statues. The story of civilization is the story of what happened on the banks. Historians are pessimists because they ignore the banks for the river.

Unfortunately, the History channel is turning into the woo-woo channel too much of the time for my tastes.

Argos
2008-Mar-21, 01:54 PM
Who cares? It´s just TV...

sarongsong
2008-Mar-21, 03:14 PM
"Just TV", I'll wager, has helped shape your view of the world and continues to do so.

Gillianren
2008-Mar-21, 05:21 PM
Who cares? It´s just TV...

It's a symptom. When there are people who think Ice Road Truckers is anything but a cheap ratings gimmick (sorry for those who like it, but it is--a program showing the effect it's had on the world wouldn't be, but one hyped "who will fall in the water and die?" is), it's a symptom of encroaching ignorance.

And, yes, history is things that happened in the past. Kinda, as pointed out above, the definition of the word. After all, it's not as though there isn't a ton of history they haven't explored. And even Modern Marvels shows the origins of the things they're talking about.

danscope
2008-Mar-21, 06:18 PM
Pity........appart from public broadcasting, we can't seem to get more than
a few intelligent channels...and even then ..the inconsistency .
WINGS ....used to be really something. But....

Sometimes there's nothing any good but the weather channel. Humpf...back to the wood shop...put on a cd .

Best regards, Dan

KaiYeves
2008-Mar-21, 06:25 PM
I don't really have time to watch TV.

Fazor
2008-Mar-21, 06:30 PM
I had started a post here, but it ended up as a multi-paragraph rant on the general quality of channels such as TLC, THC (I mean "H" :rolleyes:), Discovery, Science...etc etc., but it strayed too far from the THC topic.

So I'll summarize: THC becoming History doesn't surprise me in the least. Just their attempt, like TLC et al. to "modernize" and try to be more appealing to us "dumb American viewers" (evidenced by programming aswell, not just the name change).

Don't get me wrong, I love WWII history, aswell as Vietnam. But for years there was an absolute lack of variety...I swear THC had to be owned by a descendant of Churchill. Then they say, "Wait, no one likes this. We must be too intelligent for our audience. Lets get some more high-energy real-life drama shows like everyone else! W00t!" (okay, I don't imagine they said "w00t", but you never know).

Classic case of ignoring your own failure. It's not that people don't want "smart" tv...it's that they don't want 24x7 WWII documentaries.

Not that I consider myself especially smart, or learned, or well read... but I'm interested in more than just war history. For instance, I've been reading the book "Founding Brothers", which I've mentioned before. It's about our "Founding Fathers"...but focuses on the relationships between them and the events leading up to their time in office/the birth of our government. It's interesting as hell. Who would have thought that *I* would chose to read about not only history, but political history? Generally the prospect of reading either of those two subjects alone is enough to trigger a coma-like state of boredom.

But alas, history is interesting when you're not being told the same thing over and over again. So where's the shows on early America, or the countless other civilizations and cultures that have evolved in the past?

But I guess logging and trucking that happened a few months ago is more History than, well, you know...history.

Ooops, sorry, ended up rambling anyway.

Gillianren
2008-Mar-21, 07:18 PM
I'd really like to see them make a series out of James Burke's American Connections. His other shows have been both interesting and informative; the book is as well. (As were, of course, the companion volumes to his previous endeavours.) And I do think they could get a lot of viewers from it. But no. Trucks falling through ice. (Yes, I know it doesn't happen every episode, even though I didn't think the show was worth bothering with. However, you'd be inclined to think it did based on the commercials.)

Noclevername
2008-Mar-21, 07:47 PM
reality shows, by definition, if not practice-- are sort of historical documentaries that are unfolding in "real time".

They can call themeselves documentaries, history, "reality", or pink flamingoes, that doesn't mean they actually are any of those things.

jt-3d
2008-Mar-21, 07:59 PM
Yes, Gillian, they had that graphic of the truck falling through and they used it as much as they could. It really got annoying.

Based on absolutley no research, my theory is that reality shows are cheaper to make too. You have a crew follow around your subject and film them. No scripts, not sets, no actors. Just real life. Cheapness and popularity I guess are why reality shows keep getting made.

Whereas something exciting happens every episode in a show that's scripted, most days in real life are just dull routine. I don't know when's the last time something exciting happened to me, on the job or off. I'm glad nobody is following me around with a camera. They'd probably dose off.

I'm sure THC will still have enough shows to keep me watching, at least for a few more years. It's just not like it used to be when I could just turn it on and there'd be something I'd be interested in.

Noclevername
2008-Mar-21, 08:26 PM
Whereas something exciting happens every episode in a show that's scripted, most days in real life are just dull routine.

But people who know they have cameras following them (and desire that condition) are more likely to do something they think will be "exciting" or interesting, just to keep the cameras around. The kind of folks who ususally volunteer for these shows are attention-seekers by nature.

A true "reality show" would be unedited footage of an unknowing subject.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Mar-21, 08:55 PM
AKA The Truman Show

Delvo
2008-Mar-21, 11:25 PM
WINGS ....used to be really something. But....What happened to it? I was only ever vaguely aware that it existed and never got the channel, but I did like the early Discovery-Channel show that I think it's based on. (I never did get how there could be a whole channel of it, though, unless there was A LOT of repetition.) It did get into "praising" various aircraft as if they were all the best ever, but it was informative. I'd still like to see what that show would have done with the F-22 or F-35 if they'd been anywhere near production when the show was.

Based on absolutley no research, my theory is that reality shows are cheaper to make too. You have a crew follow around your subject and film them. No scripts, not sets, no actors.I've heard that explanation too, and it was also used to explain the sudden little burst of reality shows during the writers' strike, but it contradicts another thing that's popular for those who don't like reality shows to say: that they're not really real because they do actually have writers, and lots of them. (Apparently those writers' job would be to write a story they can put on the air by combining the elements that are available to them from the live recordings, sometimes even putting one scene's audio with another's video.) One show criticizing them even showed the part of the credits from "The Bachelor" in which it shows a long list of people credited as writers.

Cheapness and popularity I guess are why reality shows keep getting made.The cheaper they are, the less they really need to be popular.

novaderrik
2008-Mar-21, 11:37 PM
It's a symptom. When there are people who think Ice Road Truckers is anything but a cheap ratings gimmick (sorry for those who like it, but it is--a program showing the effect it's had on the world wouldn't be, but one hyped "who will fall in the water and die?" is), it's a symptom of encroaching ignorance.

And, yes, history is things that happened in the past. Kinda, as pointed out above, the definition of the word. After all, it's not as though there isn't a ton of history they haven't explored. And even Modern Marvels shows the origins of the things they're talking about.

of course it's a "cheap ratings gimmick".. it's on tv that people pay for..
but they are also good shows about real people that are alive right now. Ice Road Truckers wasn't just about "will they fall thru the ice and die an icy death.. tune in next week to find out" any more than NASCAR is about just watching rednecks race rolling billboards in circles and crashing. in both cases, there is more to it- as Shrek would say , "like an onion, there are layers"- but if you don't get it, you don't get it.
i liked the Truckers show because of the people, i didn't really care about the whole "holy crap, we're driving 100,000 pound trucks on 3 feet of ice" aspect of things. it's about people- real people. they are people that do what they do to make a living by giving everyone else the goods and services they need to have their modern life.
sure, they play up the drama in the editing room, but they have to make a full season out of 3 hours of good footage of trucks driving on ice. same with the Axmen show- they are "just" cutting down trees. but they are also putting their lives and limbs on the line every minute of every day so we can go to Home Depot and buy a sheet of plywood or a 2X4 if we need to.
i've been around "that" type of people my whole life, and i can totally relate to what goes on during those shows. in a way, they are kind of like "my" history.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Mar-21, 11:47 PM
... than NASCAR is about just watching rednecks race rolling billboards in circles and crashing...
I see where I got it wrong, I thought NASCAR was rednecks watching rolling billboards race in circles and crash. :)

Van Rijn
2008-Mar-22, 12:25 AM
Oh, great, now I have a mental image that is essentially a redneck version of a Monty Python sketch. I'm picturing Joe Bob running into Billy Ray after running past a wheeled Budweiser sign.

Gillianren
2008-Mar-22, 02:44 AM
I see where I got it wrong, I thought NASCAR was rednecks watching rolling billboards race in circles and crash. :)

Turning left for three hours? Yeah, there are better ways to use brain cells.

The Backroad Astronomer
2008-Mar-22, 04:01 AM
On the History tonight there was a show called Cities of the Underworld, I have seen a bunch these most of the they go under a city to show ruins or secret catocombs or the like under various cities. But tonight they did Boston and Philiadelphia. The underlying theme of the show was the masons and all that most of the founding fathers were masons one problem so weren't alot of the british officers.

novaderrik
2008-Mar-22, 06:06 AM
Turning left for three hours? Yeah, there are better ways to use brain cells.
like i said before, there are layers, and if you don't get it, you don't get it.

Noclevername
2008-Mar-22, 07:51 AM
like i said before, there are layers, and if you don't get it, you don't get it.

Layers? Of driving in circles?? There isn't even one layer. :lol:

KaiYeves
2008-Mar-22, 03:08 PM
Do they even still show Digging for the Truth?

jt-3d
2008-Mar-22, 07:42 PM
Do they even still show Digging for the Truth?

Yes but they fired Josh and have some other guy doing it. I haven't seen any of the new ones yet so I don't know how good they are.

KaiYeves
2008-Mar-23, 12:08 AM
Yes but they fired Josh and have some other guy doing it. I haven't seen any of the new ones yet so I don't know how good they are.
After they fired Josh, whenever I asked if I could watch the show, she asked me if I had anything better to do. I think she was sweet on him.

novaderrik
2008-Mar-24, 02:20 AM
that's the top layer.. get "into" it, and there are lots of things involved- for the people involved, the "3 hours of driving in circles" is just the last part of a cycle that involved months of preparation and the hard work of dozens of people.
layers upon layers.
once they are done with the "driving in circles" part- and even while they are "driving in circles"- they are getting ready to drive in circles at another track the next weekend, and even preparing for the "driving in circles" they will be doing a few months down the road.
saying stock car racing (and i can hardly bring myself to call it that any more) is just driving in circles is like saying that a shuttle launch is just 7 people strapped in an airplane that's strapped to a couple of rockets.. the beginning of a race, just like the launch of a shuttle, is the first part of the last stage of a very complex process involving a lot of really smart people and sophisticated machines.

Delvo
2008-Mar-24, 02:48 AM
...none of which is what the fans watch and spend money on and cheer for.

Noclevername
2008-Mar-24, 04:14 AM
saying stock car racing (and i can hardly bring myself to call it that any more) is just driving in circles is like saying that a shuttle launch is just 7 people strapped in an airplane that's strapped to a couple of rockets.. the beginning of a race, just like the launch of a shuttle, is the first part of the last stage of a very complex process involving a lot of really smart people and sophisticated machines.

:eh:

:confused:

:eek:

PLEASE tell me you did not write that with a straight face. You are actually comparing the Space Shuttle to a car race?? :naughty:

ADDED: That's such a wild theory it belongs in the ATM section.

SkepticJ
2008-Mar-24, 05:50 AM
...none of which is what the fans watch and spend money on and cheer for.

And which sounds even more mind-numbingly boring than 200 mph billboards, as if that's possible.

The majority of what goes on in the space program really isn't that interesting. It's important, but it'd be about as educational and fun to see as watching your taxes being done, or a painter do their entire painting from beginning to end. Hours and hours of debugging software, cleaning mirrors, checking voltages, ultrasound-checking metal for microscopic faults--sounds like engaging TV. Still better than watching trashy people metaphorically stab each other in the back on a tropical island though.

novaderrik
2008-Mar-24, 05:50 AM
yup.. i made that comparison.
i don't have solid numbers to back it up, but i'd bet it costs as much to put on a NASCAR Sprint Cup race as it costs to launch the space shuttle.
figure how much the 43 teams that enter cars each week spend in preparation. then add in how much NASCAR and the track owners spend on promoting and getting everything ready. also add in how much the network covering it has tied up in setting up for it, and it becomes a not to very cheap Endeavor (pun kind of intended).. and they do it 35 times a year.
also, think about where the heart of NASCAR country is and overlay that with where the heart of NASA country is, and i'd bet there is a good chance that a lot of people that work for a NASCAR race team has a relative that works for NASA.
i didn't say a $150,000 race car is the same thing as a $1.5 billion (or whatever they cost) shuttle.. i said the preparation for a race is similar to the preparation for a shuttle launch.
if you don't like NASCAR, then slip in the words "Formula 1" and my point still stands- except for the "overlapping of countries" part.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Mar-24, 09:22 AM
if you don't like NASCAR, then slip in the words "Formula 1" and my point still stands- except for the "overlapping of countries" part.
And the driving in circles:)

jt-3d
2008-Mar-24, 11:56 AM
yup.. i made that comparison.
i don't have solid numbers to back it up, but i'd bet it costs as much to put on a NASCAR Sprint Cup race as it costs to launch the space shuttle.
figure how much the 43 teams that enter cars each week spend in preparation. then add in how much NASCAR and the track owners spend on promoting and getting everything ready. also add in how much the network covering it has tied up in setting up for it, and it becomes a not to very cheap Endeavor (pun kind of intended).. and they do it 35 times a year.

Remember our standard 'cost' reply. That money isn't simply burned up in 42 barreled caburators. It's spent and helps the economy. ;)

KaiYeves
2008-Mar-24, 04:51 PM
That's such a wild theory it belongs in the ATM section.
Ditto.

Demigrog
2008-Mar-24, 05:28 PM
As a GE stockholder, I'm sorely tempted to attend the shareholders meeting and introduce a resolution to require the History channel to show actual History, and the Sci-Fi channel to show actual Sci-Fi. I'll bet it would pass.

KaiYeves
2008-Mar-24, 10:45 PM
As a GE stockholder, I'm sorely tempted to attend the shareholders meeting and introduce a resolution to require the History channel to show actual History, and the Sci-Fi channel to show actual Sci-Fi. I'll bet it would pass.
<Mob chanting>
Do it! Do it! Do it!
<Mob chanting>

EricM407
2008-Mar-25, 01:50 PM
Pity........appart from public broadcasting, we can't seem to get more than
a few intelligent channels...and even then ..the inconsistency .

15-20 years ago when THC, TLC, A&E and Discovery were first being broadcast (you know, back when they were good), people were predicting that these niche channels would be the end of public broadcasting. Seems hilarious now.

Jason
2008-Mar-25, 03:32 PM
You know, all the Space Shuttle really does is fly in circles, after all. NASCAR may not be such a bad analogy.

KaiYeves
2008-Mar-25, 04:31 PM
You know, all the Space Shuttle really does is fly in circles, after all. NASCAR may not be such a bad analogy.
I'd get angry at you for saying that if I wasn't so sad about Spirit.

SkepticJ
2008-Mar-25, 07:43 PM
...if I wasn't so sad about Spirit.

Why? They're both still working, more or less. They were only supposed to have a mission of ninety days; I'd say four years and running is nothing to cry over.

KaiYeves
2008-Mar-25, 10:13 PM
I've got this connection... the latest from the BA is that the MERs have been saved! Hurray!
And now I'm too happy to get mad at Jason!

Abbadon_2008
2008-Mar-27, 07:25 PM
Dog the Bounty Hunter, Gene Simmons

Now, don't go dissing Dog and Gene. Those are my boys!!!!

I think a crossover, with both of them together, would be AWESOME!!!!

Jim
2008-Mar-27, 08:33 PM
Y'know, this NASA-NASCAR comparison got me to thinking.

NASA could probably increase their available funding dramatically if they just took a page from NASCAR's book and allowed sponsors to put decals on the shuttle.

SkepticJ
2008-Mar-27, 09:00 PM

NASA could probably increase their available funding dramatically if they just took a page from NASCAR's book and allowed sponsors to put decals on the shuttle.

They'd have to charge quite a bit, just to offset the cost of lifting the painted-on logo into orbit. That's why the liquid fuel tank is insulation-orange, and not painted white, like it was on the first shuttle mission. Plus, putting decals on the shuttle would change how it's heated by sunlight while in orbit--it's white for a reason.

Jim
2008-Mar-27, 10:01 PM
(sigh)

Not meant to be taken seriously.

ToSeek
2008-Mar-27, 10:04 PM

http://www.chaos.org.uk/~eddy/img/jest/adShuttle.png

SkepticJ
2008-Mar-27, 10:04 PM
(sigh)

Sorry. Couldn't tell. I've seen people suggest it in seriousness before.

Noclevername
2008-Mar-27, 10:24 PM
Alternate method of payment, a new reality show; "Who Wants To Be An Astronaut?"

Noclevername
2008-Mar-27, 10:25 PM
Alternate method of payment, a new reality show; "Who Wants To Be An Astronaut?"

(Yes, it's a joke.)

Gillianren
2008-Mar-28, 12:40 AM
In today's stack of library movies, I got an episode of Decoding the Past, which says at the bottom, "Please note that this disc does not offer menu pages or special features found on standard DVDs, simply the high quality programming you've come to expect from The History Channel (R)." Which is silly--I got 10 Days that Unexpectedly Changed America from them not long ago (very long hold list), which actually was quality programming, and this simply isn't going to be--but 10 Days had special features.

Whack01
2008-Mar-28, 07:45 AM
I used to watch the history channel but they'd never stop playing all that hitler garbage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ-97pxT3LU&feature=related) so I got sick of it and stopped watching. Such a shame really, however history international was still doing a good job last time I checked.

NEOWatcher
2008-Mar-28, 12:34 PM
(sigh)
I can sympathize with that statement (yes, I didn't take it seriously).

With your background here, I would assume it's just a matter of "how can anybody think that way?". Unfortunately for others, it's a touchy subject.

That statement has been made seriously in many NASA bashing threads. I'm sure there are many people who don't want to go that direction.

I almost responded to the statement myself, only for the benefit of other readers who haven't seen those threads.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Mar-30, 01:14 PM
You may think it's a joke, but those shows have actually been run.

I considered signing up until I realised the price wasn't actually to get out there, but instead was a ticket to the first flight of some company claiming to have a suborbital flight system ready VerySoon(tm).
This was before Scaled won the X-Price mind you.

KaiYeves
2008-Mar-30, 04:53 PM
This was before Scaled won the X-Price mind you.
X-Price?

Noclevername
2008-Mar-30, 04:59 PM
X-Price?

Yes, you know, the checkout line for twelve items or less.

KaiYeves
2008-Mar-30, 08:37 PM
Yes, you know, the checkout line for twelve items or less.
Hahahahahahahahahaha!

geonuc
2008-Mar-30, 09:31 PM
NASCAR isn't 'driving in circles for three hours'. Like many spectator sports/entertainment, there's more to it than is apparent on the surface.

I can be rivited by watching two baseliners wear each other down on a clay court, because I know the game of tennis so well. Others, unfortunately including many TV commentators, don't get it. I can understand that. I don't like watching hockey because I don't know the game well enough. But I would never say that it's just a bunch of goons skating around looking for a fight, as others might. I know there's more there than I can appreciate.

Noclevername
2008-Apr-01, 08:15 PM
NASCAR isn't 'driving in circles for three hours'. Like many spectator sports/entertainment, there's more to it than is apparent on the surface.

I'm sure there is a lot of work and effort wasted on this nonsense, but that just makes it expensive nonsense. To me, it'll always be something to flip past on my way to other channels.

Brad_Smith
2008-Apr-05, 10:23 PM

Sometimes you jump the shark and other times it jumps you (http://images.google.com/images?q=%2B%22air+jaws%22&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1).

I think the late historian Will Durant would agree with you. History isn't just about "important people doing stuff", either.

Civilization is a stream with banks. The stream is sometimes filled with blood from people killing, stealing, shouting and doing the things historians usually record, while on the banks, unnoticed, people build homes, make love, raise children, sing songs, write poetry and even whittle statues. The story of civilization is the story of what happened on the banks. Historians are pessimists because they ignore the banks for the river.

Unfortunately, the History channel is turning into the woo-woo channel too much of the time for my tastes.

Woo-woo? What's wrong with History, TLC and Discovery doing shows that look at other possibilities? It's ignorant to shut yourself off to other memes.

SkepticJ
2008-Apr-06, 07:27 PM
Woo-woo? What's wrong with History, TLC and Discovery doing shows that look at other possibilities? It's ignorant to shut yourself off to other memes.

Would you watch, say, the Weather Channel if they put forward the idea that rain is caused by sky spirits?

NEOWatcher
2008-Apr-07, 02:29 PM
Would you watch, say, the Weather Channel if they put forward the idea that rain is caused by sky spirits?
Great analogy.:dance:

But; I would like to add...
I don't mind a fluff piece as long as it's at the human interest level. It's the analysis and justification that irks me. As an example:
1) Tribe X celebrates the annual spring sky spirit that brings a new life to the Earth (Good)
2) Several people have seen the sky spirit nudge the Sun higher. We have set out a time lapsed camera to determine how the spirit does this. Our infrared cameras captured proof of a late appearance of the sky spirit, so this week will not be as warm as expected (Bad)

Locally; we have a big Wooly Bear Festival. The meteorologist that's into it will not use it to forecast, but will talk bout the interpretation of the band of color.

Noclevername
2008-Apr-11, 05:17 AM

It's ignorant to blindly embrace memes just because they're "different". Go with the evidence.