PDA

View Full Version : Ripping songs off a CD, what are the best settings to have?

Ross PK81
2008-Mar-21, 01:13 PM
I'd like the rips to be as near as possible to the same quality as the songs on the CD's.

I'm using Realplayer to rip them, should I have the settings in any particular way? What about the Kbps, do they make any difference?

Delvo
2008-Mar-21, 02:37 PM
The higher the number of kilobytes per second (the "bit rate"), the less compressed the file is, and the more of the original information is retained. For MP3s, the bitrate at which double-blind tests show that people can't tell it apart from an uncompressed file is 256 or more. Actually 192 will do it for many people, especially in bad listening environments like pretty much anywhere but a quiet room at home (the worse the environment the lower bitrate is allowable), but 256 is the rate at which no difference can be detected in people's accuracy at distinguishing them. (In a good test, people aren't nearly as good at telling the difference as they think they are based on their own not-formally-tested experience.)

AAC can supposedly compress better and thus reach the "you can't tell it's compressed" level at some lower bitrate than that.

WAV files are not compressed. They're practically identical to the data on the CD itself. This is the simplest route to go if you're not concerned about data storage space, requiring no decisions about how much to compress or whether or not you'd hear the difference (or mind it). It also means that if you ever want to export/convert the files again at some other bitrate/filesize for some reason in the future, you have an uncompressed original to work from, so you wouldn't be compounding compression (compressing what's already compressed).

mugaliens
2008-Mar-21, 02:42 PM
Are you ripping them to MP3 format, or something else?

Ross PK81
2008-Mar-21, 02:46 PM
Ok thanks. I guess it'd be best to rip them as WAV then, hopefully it wont take up too much space.

I would just rip them at 256, but the main reason for me ripping them is in case any of my CD-R's end up corrupt (I've heard that they're supposed to be really unrealiable and can mess up after a few years), so I'm basically backing them up.

Ross PK81
2008-Mar-21, 02:47 PM
Are you ripping them to MP3 format, or something else?

Was MP3, but I think now I'll probably rip them to WAV.

Ross PK81
2008-Mar-21, 03:08 PM
Hmmm, if I do it in WAV I don't even think I've got enough space on my computer to rip them all, I guess I'll just rip them in 320 kbps.

I just didn't want to slowly lose sound quality every time I rip and burn the same song.

fotobits
2008-Mar-21, 03:33 PM
I did extensive testing with my music collection, and cannot hear any difference between 256 kbs AAC files and the original CD. I did notice some very slight degradation ripping the files at 192 kbs mp3 format. I considered ripping my CDs as Apple Lossless files, but after testing decided the extra drive space was not worth it since the 256 kbs files sound so good.

My music system is a Rotel CD player feeding the DAC of my Sony TA77ES preamp, plugged into a Carver TFM 25 amp driving DCM TF-7 speakers. My ears are the weak point of the system.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Mar-21, 03:42 PM
I'd like the rips to be as near as possible to the same quality as the songs on the CD's.

I'm using Realplayer to rip them, should I have the settings in any particular way? What about the Kbps, do they make any difference?

If you're ripping to make a backup copy, forget about compression, grab the raw data, get them on the new CD, then wipe your temp copy.

That way you don't have any degradation at all.

BTW, remember to check your local laws, such backups may not be considered a fair-use exception to the copyright and you may be committing a crime doing it.

Doodler
2008-Mar-21, 03:48 PM
iTunes does a pretty fair job of ripping songs with no noticable loss of quality in replay.

Ross PK81
2008-Mar-21, 03:55 PM
If you're ripping to make a backup copy, forget about compression, grab the raw data, get them on the new CD, then wipe your temp copy.

That way you don't have any degradation at all.

BTW, remember to check your local laws, such backups may not be considered a fair-use exception to the copyright and you may be committing a crime doing it.

It's okay, it's freeware.

Drunk Vegan
2008-Mar-21, 04:11 PM
If you just want a backup copy, I'd suggest using Nero and just use the Copy CD option.

If you want to fit more on a CD (or several albums onto blank DVDs) I'd suggest using FLAC - it's a lossless format that's considerably smaller than the regular CD's .CDA format.

RalofTyr
2008-Mar-21, 06:22 PM
I don't use CDs anymore. They are collecting dust on my shelves. When I want to listen to a song, I don't walk over to my shelf and grab a CD. I just do a search for it and somebody will have it. Or I just go to Youtube. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tluogv9EGTQ)

Ross PK81
2008-Mar-21, 09:51 PM
I don't use CDs anymore. They are collecting dust on my shelves. When I want to listen to a song, I don't walk over to my shelf and grab a CD. I just do a search for it and somebody will have it. Or I just go to Youtube. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tluogv9EGTQ)

Some songs can be hard to get hold of though, so it's nice to hold on to them, plus it's nice to be able to listen to them whenever and where ever you want. This is why I burn them onto CD (since I'm limited to the amount of music I can have on my ipod), put them onto my ipod, and now ripping them back onto my computer as security since I've recently heard of CD-R's going bad.

Doodler
2008-Mar-22, 12:59 AM

That would be one of the reasons I don't sweat ripping them much. All they are for me are hard copy source material and unequivocal license of ownership of said material.

dvb
2008-Mar-22, 02:48 PM
If you want to fit more on a CD (or several albums onto blank DVDs) I'd suggest using FLAC - it's a lossless format that's considerably smaller than the regular CD's .CDA format.

I second the use of FLAC. Use EAC (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/resources/download/) (Exact Audio Copy) with the FLAC codec, and you're good to go. Best audio CD ripping program hands down, and it's free. Note that this program does take a bit of configuration, but once it's configured you'll be able to rip cd's, and have your tracks automagically named in whatever order you desire.