PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with DVD player: Why can't I FF past the garbage?

DyerWolf
2008-Mar-21, 03:58 PM
Does this happen to you?

You pop in a movie and want to proceed directly to the main menu (skipping previews, FBI warnings and invitations to buy the soundtrack) only to have a little crossed circle pop up on the screen telling you "too bad, so sad, we now have control of your machine"? :evil:

Is there no way to skip this nonsense?

FWIW I have a Samsung DVD VCR. At least with the VCR I can FF to my heart's content. But with the DVD, I cannot FF past the fluff. In fact Disc Menu and FF doesn't work until after the DVD has (after several minutes) reached the main menu on its own.

GRRR.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Mar-21, 04:06 PM
Each DVD has a program that determines how things are show, including such things as menu's and which things can be FF'd past, if that program says you can't and you don't have a hacked player to bypass that, you can't.
Period.

You can't compare to the VCR as the technologies are so difference.

Drunk Vegan
2008-Mar-21, 04:07 PM
Have you tried the other menu button? (Title Menu I think it's called)

Other than that the only way to do it is to use something like DVD Shrink to make a copy with the menus, previews, etc, removed. And of course that would take a lot longer than just letting the previews run.

HenrikOlsen
2008-Mar-21, 04:11 PM
If you want a permanent solution, rip the DVD, reauthor the program, burn a new one.

Common disclaimer applies here, if you're doing that to remove content that the publisher required you to watch, doing so is probably a crime.

Delvo
2008-Mar-21, 04:16 PM
...and writable DVDs don't hold as much info as pressed commercial DVDs do, so you'd have to compress it more or cut it up to get it to fit, unless it was a rather short movie. At that point, you're probably better off just leaving it on the hard disk drive and watching straight from there (with your computer feeding whatever big screen and sound system you want) rather than bothering to make another DVD. That's what I do; my actual DVDs are just backup copies, and what I really watch are the copy files on my HDD.

KaiYeves
2008-Mar-21, 04:17 PM
My menu button only works after the logos and warnings. You can still skip the previews with it, though.

Gillianren
2008-Mar-21, 04:59 PM
You can (usually) use either the chapter skip button, or--in particularly dire situations--just the regular fastforward button. For some reason, the Discovery Channel is particularly concerned that you watch the lengthy information about their shows before they'll let you watch the actual show you have actually paid money for. (Or, you know, gotten from the library.)

SeanF
2008-Mar-21, 06:37 PM
...and writable DVDs don't hold as much info as pressed commercial DVDs do, so you'd have to compress it more or cut it up to get it to fit, unless it was a rather short movie.
There are writable dual-layer DVDs that hold the same amount as a pressed dual-layer disc. :)

Van Rijn
2008-Mar-21, 09:26 PM
You can (usually) use either the chapter skip button, or--in particularly dire situations--just the regular fastforward button. For some reason, the Discovery Channel is particularly concerned that you watch the lengthy information about their shows before they'll let you watch the actual show you have actually paid money for. (Or, you know, gotten from the library.)

Or the rental service. Restrictions depend on who produced the DVD. Most make sure you see the warning at the beginning. Generally after that you can skip the rest with menu, top menu, chapter or FF - but not always. In some cases there are actually limits placed at other points on the DVD, which always seems ridiculous.

novaderrik
2008-Mar-21, 11:20 PM
you want frustration- throw in a Disney kids movie..
they practically force your kids to want to buy whatever other "classic" they are taking out of the vault for a limited time only..

Moose
2008-Mar-21, 11:37 PM
Actually, Novaderrik, that's not a bad time to start your kids thinking critically. Explain to them Disney's strategy, to rotate movies "for limited times" to try and manipulate kids into wanting them right away, when you know they'll come back sooner or later. See if you can guide them into recognizing some of the other marketing tricks that are being used against them.

Then start to show them how marketers try to manipulate adults, too. Many kids I know really hate the thought of being openly manipulated by strange adults, and remember those "moves" when they're tried in the future. They just need to have the "man behind the curtain" pointed out.

novaderrik
2008-Mar-22, 01:56 AM
Actually, Novaderrik, that's not a bad time to start your kids thinking critically. Explain to them Disney's strategy, to rotate movies "for limited times" to try and manipulate kids into wanting them right away, when you know they'll come back sooner or later. See if you can guide them into recognizing some of the other marketing tricks that are being used against them.

Then start to show them how marketers try to manipulate adults, too. Many kids I know really hate the thought of being openly manipulated by strange adults, and remember those "moves" when they're tried in the future. They just need to have the "man behind the curtain" pointed out.

believe me- when i ever have kids of my own, i will do whatever i can to instill some critical thinking into them. i've seen enough Disney movies at my cousin's house with his 3 kids,
and most Disney "classics" won't be featured prominently in the choice of things for my kids to kill their time with.

Gillianren
2008-Mar-22, 02:33 AM
Besides, Disney DVDs (and I have several myself) actively tell you that you can skip right to the menu. Certainly that's better than Discovery's refusal to let you do it at all.

novaderrik
2008-Mar-22, 05:56 AM
Besides, Disney DVDs (and I have several myself) actively tell you that you can skip right to the menu. Certainly that's better than Discovery's refusal to let you do it at all.
you can't skip to the menu if the kids are all screaming about how much they like the "first part" of the movie..

Gillianren
2008-Mar-22, 06:01 PM
you can't skip to the menu if the kids are all screaming about how much they like the "first part" of the movie..

Wow. I knew what a trailer was . . . I don't remember not knowing what a trailer is. I mean, I generally still watch them, because I like them, but "first part of the movie"? How young are these kids?

Neverfly
2008-Mar-22, 11:34 PM
Wow. I knew what a trailer was . . . I don't remember not knowing what a trailer is. I mean, I generally still watch them, because I like them, but "first part of the movie"? How young are these kids?

My son does that too if I try to forward past the previews. It isn't so much that they think it's part of the movie- they just don't always know that to call that first part before the movie starts.

jt-3d
2008-Mar-23, 03:34 AM
A few of my DVDs start right up with the movie when you plug in the disc. It's very refreshing. Some have the FBI warning at the end. Unfortunately now days all you get all the garbage first and no, you usually can't nuke any of it. I can't even read French but some of my discs have warnings in English and then French. sheesh

Chuck
2008-Mar-23, 04:33 AM
I've had my menu button disabled but fast forward has always worked. At worst you could plan ahead and put in the disc a few minutes before you're ready to watch the movie and let the previews and warnings play unwatched.

I have a similar complaint about automatic teller machines. They insist on showing me an advertisement for some banking service before they'll give me back my card. They know I can't leave without it so they can make me wait as long as they like. It seems kind of rude, especially when other people are waiting to use the machine.

yuzuha
2008-Mar-23, 06:04 AM
Don't know if they still make them but you used to be able to get cracked Sony players that ignored region codes and UOPs (user operation protection... a flag they can set to disable your skip, ff & other controls). Personally I find UOPs irritating on a primal level, but rather than returning a series of players as "broke" in protest, I've just taken to loading a dvd then going to the bathroom or something until the thing is done playing all the crap they try to force you into watching.

Tedward
2008-Mar-23, 08:51 AM
I have always popped the disc in then let it run. Then go and put the kettle on or crack a can, watch another channel or whatever. Personally I can't be bothered with finding hacks to get past the meta data, life is too short.

Maksutov
2008-Mar-23, 10:43 AM
There are writable dual-layer DVDs that hold the same amount as a pressed dual-layer disc. :)Exactly right, SeanF. Where the media match, you can get an exact repro.

For getting rid of the commercials and warnings that aren't what you spent money to see, then, if they're really obnoxious, I usually remaster the DVD. Edit right into the various cells, on up, etc., and get rid of the commercials, etc., which I didn't pay to watch over and over.

This also comes in handy where the commercial DVD has been issued with a different soundtrack than the original due to copyright baloney (i.e. Sony being too cheap to pay). The best example of this is the Married...With Children DVD series, where the iconic "Love and Marriage" song was replaced with some marginally-similar, awful Muzak, due to the song holders' trying to get more money.

Well, Married...With Children isn't the same without Frank singing that song. So I demuxed the DVDs and added the correct audio as a clip to the .mpa file and then remuxed such that the shows now sound like the originals.

If you don't want to do all this, then a lot of computer DVD players will allow you to skip all the crap. My CyberLink PowerDVD app does just that.

Gillianren
2008-Mar-23, 07:11 PM
My son does that too if I try to forward past the previews. It isn't so much that they think it's part of the movie- they just don't always know that to call that first part before the movie starts.

I bought 101 Dalmatians and The Aristocats yesterday; they do the "fast play" thing, where you don't have to press play before they give you a selection of features (The Aristocats gives you an old cartoon with Minnie Mouse and Figaro the cat), and they put the trailers after the movie.

RalofTyr
2008-Mar-23, 10:18 PM
Forget about DVDs. I go out.

Or I just wait for it to go on cable.

I have a DVD player, but I never use it. I only own one DVD, Discovery's Walking with Monsters, which, is also available on Youtube to watch.

peteshimmon
2008-Mar-24, 08:31 PM
Actually the adverts do recreate the Cinema
experiance I remember from decades ago. The
curtains open and you get the local traders
plying their stuff. Then the newsreels. Then
the curtains close and the censor certificate
comes on. Then the feature. At least at home
you can wonder around a bit.

But I do want total control at home!

DyerWolf
2008-Mar-24, 08:54 PM
Here's the real frustration: You get a good movie from NetFlix. Half way through, the grape jelly stain left by the previous user, and the scratches made three uses ago by a four-year old using the disc as a frisbee, combine to make the movie freeze in the midst of the most important part of the film.

You pop the disk out to clean it, then pop it back in. Now is when it gets annoying not to be able to skip to the scene selection part of the main menu.

Thanks for the responses folks.

Guess I'll just :wall:

ginnie
2008-Mar-24, 11:25 PM
I press the >> button a few times.

Celestial Mechanic
2008-Mar-25, 04:25 AM
Actually the adverts do recreate the Cinema experience I remember from decades ago. The curtains open and you get the local traders plying their stuff. Then the newsreels. Then the curtains close and the censor certificate comes on. Then the feature. At least at home you can wonder around a bit.

But I do want total control at home!
Alas! The American theatrical experience is no longer like that! The last time I went there were SEVEN, count them, SEVEN previews for movies, the usual FBI warning, an ad for the snack counter (and the easy financing plans available!), an announcement asking people to turn off their cell phones and pagers, and FINALLY the movie. Anybody wondering why I haven't gone back?

Of course I wouldn't mind having, say, just the ad with the dancing popcorn, candy and soft-drinks on the DVD, just for the fun of it. ;)

JustAFriend
2008-Mar-25, 12:08 PM
I've got no problem with trailers while sitting in a movie; I >want< to see the trailers.

But a half-hour of "The 20", the obnoxious and creepy Fandango lunchsack puppets and other commercials???? Please....no.....

Gillianren
2008-Mar-25, 04:35 PM
Alas! The American theatrical experience is no longer like that! The last time I went there were SEVEN, count them, SEVEN previews for movies, the usual FBI warning, an ad for the snack counter (and the easy financing plans available!), an announcement asking people to turn off their cell phones and pagers, and FINALLY the movie. Anybody wondering why I haven't gone back?

Yes, actually. The trailers are better on the big screen than the ubiquitous TV commercials for the same movies, especially if it looks like it's going to be a good movie. Besides, it's fun to whisper back and forth with the person/people in your group about how good or bad the movies look like they're going to be. The ads for the snack bar are hardly a new phenomenon ("let's go out to the lobby!"), and thank Gods for the announcement asking people to turn off their cell phones and pagers. Besides, all those things give you a greater margin for getting to the theatre if you're running late!

ginnie
2008-Mar-26, 12:34 AM
I like the trailers too. The difference between at the theatre and watchng a DVD though is that usually on DVD the movies have already been released in the theatres - indeed, usually I've already seen them.
Even today, I love some trailers, like the Ironman one. I've watched it at least ten times and can't wait for the movie to come out.
But what I miss are the cartoons. I went to the theatres every Saturday when I was a kid and especially loved the Pink Panther cartoons.

Gillianren
2008-Mar-27, 05:40 AM
But what I miss are the cartoons. I went to the theatres every Saturday when I was a kid and especially loved the Pink Panther cartoons.

Yeah, no kidding. I think that movies that had cartoons play before them in the theatre should be legally obligated to put a cartoon before the movie on the DVD. (Not that I'm old enough to remember the days when movies had cartoons before them.)

Tog
2008-Mar-27, 06:20 AM
We have one of those TV's that needs a 3 inch thick manual to operate, but came with a poster pamphlet with 6 different languages on it. Rather than use four of the seven different input options for the TV, DVD, Game, and VCR, I have everything running through a 4 way switch. You leave the TV alone and press 1 for TV, 2 for DVD and so on. We'll usually pop in the DVD then start turning on the rest of the stuff and getting snacks and drinks, or the GF will pop out for a smoke.

I do remember cartoons before movies, and something was saw recently had one, I just can't think of what movie it was. The cartoon was Goofy getting a home theater system (oddly similar to the set up described above).

I also have a vague memory (or maybe I dreamed it) of a screaming-children room in theaters. This was a room with very good sound suppression in the back corner of the theater where parents could sit with fussy babies and still see the film. It had its own speaker system so they could hear.

My personal tech hatred is getting gas. I have to do this every 4 work days.
Slide card
No, I don't want a car wash
Yes, I'm sure
No, I don't have the buck-back card
Yes, I know about it
No, I don't want one
Yes, I'm sure
Yes, I understand that for every 100 gallons of gas I buy I get 3 cents off a bag of stale chips I'd never eat because potato chips should be potato flavor, not red pepper, cumin, and salmon flavor or whatever version the boss bought too many of because he was dumb enough to think it would be the trend this week.
Yes, Gas. That's why I'm here. Gas.
Enter zip code (On error, start over. No pressure)
(Screen says to begin pumping gas, but takes 10 to 30 seconds to actually start the pump)
When you're done you get one more screen asking if you want a receipt, but at this point that buzzing-beeping sound that goes along with every screen change has made your eye start to twitch when you hear it. You tell it "No" and get in the car to drive off, and the buzzing beep comes on one last time to insist that you have a nice day.
I'm also not sure why every keypad used to enter all of this stuff is coated with grease. I imagine there is a some kid that makes the rounds and slaps on a new coat each day. If this is the case, I admire his work ethic, but his career path sucks.

And the topper? The three times I did say I wanted a car wash, the selection screen was not available.

Sadly, it's even more of a hassle to pay cash.

Moose
2008-Mar-27, 10:26 AM
Sadly, it's even more of a hassle to pay cash.

I love my full service gas station. :dance:

geonuc
2008-Mar-27, 11:02 AM
My personal tech hatred is getting gas.

The station I normally use has the slowest interface ever devised. After telling it "no, I don't want a car wash", I have to wait like 4 or 5 seconds before the next stupid question pops up. Why is that? Is there a moderately-intelligent gerbil behind the screen writing out the words on an etch-a-sketch?

peter eldergill
2008-Mar-27, 09:48 PM
The trend now at Esso stations is to have a TV screen play nothing but commercials FOR ESSO (duh..I'm already here) at a loud volume.

On occasion, I have specifically NOT gone to esso to but gas for that very reason (most times I just forget about the TV and go anyway)

Pete