PDA

View Full Version : Why?

remyma
2008-Mar-22, 10:51 PM
In interviews about wormholes and warp drives, they always say it can be used to go the other side of the galaxy, or whatever. Why do they never say like "to another galaxy" or "the other end of the universe"...?
I thought that you could travel all over the universe with these things, and not only within the Milky Way....!?!?!

aurora
2008-Mar-22, 11:28 PM
Are you refering to science fiction? Or something else?

grant hutchison
2008-Mar-23, 12:13 AM
You might consider giving your threads more informative titles, in future; it's a big forum and people often judge what to read from the title alone. "Wormholes and warp drives", for instance, might pull in more people who are interested in your question. :)

With reference to your post, I'd guess that people don't always make such a claim, and if they do it's for illustrative purposes only.

Grant Hutchison

Noclevername
2008-Mar-23, 09:18 AM
In interviews about wormholes and warp drives, they always say...

Who are "they"?

Kaptain K
2008-Mar-23, 01:26 PM
The Milky Way contains 100-400 billion stars in about 100 trillion (if I did my cypherin' right) cubic light years. Isn't that enough to start with?

billslugg
2008-Mar-23, 03:27 PM
In interviews about wormholes and warp drives, they always say it can be used to go the other side of the galaxy, or whatever. Why do they never say like "to another galaxy" or "the other end of the universe"...?

From what I have read, there might be such a thing as a wormhole, but I have never heard that a warp drive might be possible.

I have read that if one were able to make a wormhole, then one must travel in the conventional manner to the desired far end, make the wormhole, and only then could one utilize it. That would not rule out having one that could cross intergalactic distances.

GOURDHEAD
2008-Mar-23, 05:20 PM
Being a somewhat timid soul, and aside from discounting that wormholes exist, I am concerned about navigation. If I should encounter a wormhole and successfully enter "my end" of it, how would I know/control how many other ends it had, how to select one of them for exiting, and where would I be upon exiting? Are the insides of planets, stars and black holes prohibitied by the laws of physics from being exit points?

DyerWolf
2008-Mar-31, 08:37 PM
...If I should encounter a wormhole and successfully enter "my end" of it, how would I know/control how many other ends it had, how to select one of them for exiting, and where would I be upon exiting? ...

You could always do it the old fashioned way: dive into the wormhole, and plot where you came out on a 3-D map, then fly back and do it again and again until you had plotted every exit and destination.

Then write an award-winning travel guide, and retire on the profits.

geonuc
2008-Mar-31, 10:01 PM
I'd say the OP's question was somewhat rhetorical, given the lack of followup.

novaderrik
2008-Apr-01, 09:04 AM
Who are "they"?
you know- them..